Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Low-fat or low-carb? It may not matter....

Feedback Score
    29 (87%)
    I know that you are right from personal experience. About 18 years ago I lost about 90# in a year, just lifting weights and eating low carb. After 17 years of marriage, a kid, and just life [edit: poor decisions] , I have gained all of it back, plus another 40#. I plan to stay on keto for about another 6 months but still continue with intermittent fasting and pretty low carbs. It's pretty hard to lift heavy while on keto, and that's my favorite kind of exercise, and I would like to get back to lifting.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Nocaster; 09-30-18 at 14:19.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Study Issues:

1) They didn't include screening for leptin resistance which would be directly responsible for the lack of any significant weight change at all. This is a highly likely cause especially by age 40 which is the mean of the study.

2) "No explicit instructions for energy (kilocalories) restriction were given." So they did not control the caloric intake at all! They did not standardize the calorie intake.

These to points void the study in my mind. Considering that there is overwhelming evidence that Sugar intake which causes Leptin Resistance and diabetes and the abnormally high caloric intakes of your average citizen are the direct cause of the obesity epidemic in America today.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodtimes View Post
    Eat 2000 calories a day of lean meat and veggies for a month

Stop

Eat 2000 calories a day of donuts for a month

But Muh Magical Macro Manipulations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Which is heavier...a pound of feathers, or a pound of lead?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nocaster View Post
    I have been doing strict keto (75%fat, 20%protein, 5%carb) since mid June, and I am down 47 lbs. For whatever reason, this diet is very easy for me, and i don't feel like i am "on a diet". Beer and pb&j are the only things I miss.

That being said, I suspect that one of the reasons for my results, is that the large amounts of fat are keeping me full and I am in a caloric deficit without any effort. I feel like I pped the easy button. Taking in between 1700-1900 calories per day.
    There are hundreds of fad diets and I'm absolutely certain that everybody has a fad diet out there somewhere that is perfect for them. No one diet is better than any other.

The problem with diets is sustainability. The reason that diets don't work is that eventually everybody goes off that diet and inexorably gravitate back to their old eating habits. A person's weight loss from any given diet is going to sustainable only as long as they can maintain that lifestyle change. Keto is the latest fad diet. If a person can eat that way for the rest of their life....bingo! Otherwise...don't throw those size 42 pants away just yet....

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    There are hundreds of fad diets and I'm absolutely certain that everybody has a fad diet out there somewhere that is perfect for them. No one diet is better than any other.

The problem with diets is sustainability. The reason that diets don't work is that eventually everybody goes off that diet and inexorably gravitate back to their old eating habits. A person's weight loss from any given diet is going to sustainable only as long as they can maintain that lifestyle change. Keto is the latest fad diet. If a person can eat that way for the rest of their life....bingo! Otherwise...don't throw those size 42 pants away just yet....
    We can say that 'till we're blue in the face and almost dead from that of air, but that's the take home people will continue to ignore. I call it the "can I eat this way for the rest of my life?" diet. If the answer is no, pass, and that's minus the Q on long term health etc.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    29 (87%)
    Hmac and Will, thank you both for your comments. I fully agree with what you are saying.

That being said, yes, I can totally eat this way for the rest of my life. And I can take myself out of ketosis occasionally to eat fruit. Which is the only thing I miss, like pears, apples, peaches, etc. I still eat low glycemic stuff like strawberries and blackberries.

There is a lot of science out there to support the many benefits of ketosis beyond weight loss, like lowered BP, cancer prevention, anti inflammation. And weight loss does not happen magically on ketosis, you still need a caloric deficit.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nocaster View Post
    Hmac and Will, thank you both for your comments. I fully agree with what you are saying.

That being said, yes, I can totally eat this way for the rest of my life. And I can take myself out of ketosis occasionally to eat fruit. Which is the only thing I miss, like pears, apples, peaches, etc. I still eat low glycemic stuff like strawberries and blackberries.

There is a lot of science out there to support the many benefits of ketosis beyond weight loss, like lowered BP, cancer prevention, anti inflammation. And weight loss does not happen magically on ketosis, you still need a caloric deficit.

Actually, there's pretty negligible science out there that supports those side benefits of the ketogenic diet. Not that those benefits don't exist...it's just that there is absolutely NO good data to prove it to any degree.

I applaud your effort, and I'm rooting for you to be able to buck the common trend of keto, or any other fad diet, and sustain it for the rest of your life.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    A RCT over 12 months with some participants randomized to low fat, others randomized to low carb. Net result was about the same amount of weight loss, and improved labs for all participants.

https://examine.com/nutrition/low-fa...r-weight-loss/
    I did very low carb and dropped 5% body fat and gained 2.9# lean body mass in 6 weeks. I had a 4 hour re carb every 3 days. Thats what works for me.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Bumping this thread vs starting a new one:

LOW CARB DIET REVIEW

Including VLCD and Keto. The findings of this large review are as I have been saying over and over, there's no magic people. If such approaches work for you, carry on, but they're not inherently superior to other approaches:

Highlights

• Low- and very-low-carbohydrate diets are not superior to other weight loss diets.

* May have advantages on appetite and reduced triglyceride and diabetes medication.

•Mixed effects on low-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels.

• No clear evidence for advantages related to other cardiometabolic risk markers.

Abstract

Historically, low-carbohydrate (CHO) and very-low-CHO diets have been used for weight loss. Recently, these diets have been promoted for type II diabetes management. This scientific statement provides a comprehensive review of the current evidence base available from recent systematic reviews and meta-analyses on the effects of low-CHO and very-low-CHO diets on body weight, lipoprotein lipids, glycemic control, and other cardiometabolic risk factors. In addition, evidence on emerging risk factors and potential safety concerns of low-CHO and very-low-CHO diets, especially for high-risk individuals, such as those with genetic lipid disorders, was reviewed. Based on the evidence reviewed, low-CHO and very-low-CHO diets are not superior to other dietary approaches for weight loss. These diets may have advantages related to appetite control, triglyceride reduction, and reduction in the use of medication in type II diabetes management. The evidence reviewed showed mixed effects on low-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels with some studies showing an increase. There was no clear evidence for advantages regarding effects on other cardiometabolic risk markers. Minimal data are available regarding long-term (>2 years) efficacy and safety. Clinicians are encouraged to consider the evidence discussed in this scientific statement when counseling patients on the use of low-CHO and very-low-CHO diets.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...3287419302673?
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    The older I get the more I try to stay away from processed sugar. That pretty much keeps me away from all the bad foods. The new WeightWatchers make vegetables ‘free’, along with chicken and fish- but hammers ‘sweets’. Though bears seem to do pretty well with fish and berries.... I eat (mostly) good food now, just need to dial back the portions.

I think there is a pretty good Hawthorne Effect to where just following some diet, with in reason, helps.
    I too have been doing WW. I eat a lot of fresh fruit, eggs, chicken, and vegetables. The diet basically teaches you to eat healthy. It’s not a low fat or low carb diet. It certainly steers you away from refined sugars and excessive amounts of fat.

I am physically stronger now and it hasn’t been from exercising. I think it’s from taking in more nutrition. Anyway, here is a graph of my journey.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast