Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Ammo for the SHTF Stash

Feedback Score
    Things may drop slightly but even if material costs return to where they were before the "Big Hit" those prices wont return. The only factor in our favor is the poor economy and how it affects sales.

Feedback Score
    Looks like things are just going to get worse.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Copper and Lead are both headed back up. Copper up 20 cents in the past 10 days alone!!!

PANIC TIME!

Feedback Score
    Looks like it's time for a couple of those .22 AR BCG conversions kits.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Ammo? What ammo? I sold all of my guns and ammo and donated the money to help those poor inner city youth whose lives are being ravaged by those deadly assault weapons.

I can't believe people are splitting hairs about ballistics performance on SHTF stashes. Just be happy you have a few thousand rounds.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    As long as my ammo and weapon can shoot minute-of-douchebag I am happy. Thus far, I believe that my requirements are being met. Maybe before the end of 2009 I can go home and shoot some......

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bernieb90 View Post
    Nobody seemed to mention that SBRs in 5.56 are not the easiest things in the world to get to run reliably 100% all the time.
    Although this might have been a truism 10 years ago, there are enough established SBR builders out there that a reliable SBR can be had. Without rehashing the 'didn't pass mil spec' argument, I'll say that this statement is suspect at best.

People also seemed to forget that most ammo is below its fragmentation range in very short order from barrels that short. I can see the fun value in an SBR, but time and time again longer barrels have proven to be more reliable, and effective as far as the AR platform goes.If you are free to chose whatever you want you may want to consider going to a 12.5" 6.8 SPC piston upper. The terminal performance, and barrier penetration capabilitities are vastly improved. Also improved is the ability to use the carbine as a viable hunting tool for taking medium game if the end of the world does come. If you do choose 5.56 be aware of the limitations of the platform , and make sure you have spare parts available (bolt heads, extractors, etc.) available as the SBRs tend to be hard on those parts.
    Addressing the OPs question in the framework of your quote above, for the average citizen justifying any shot past a hundred yards is a pretty daunting obstacle to begin with, so lets sort this out given a civilian shooters parameters:

1) At >100yds the 'loss of velocity' facet is moot.
    2) A SBR is plenty accurate at >100yds (I've seen a friend ring steel at 472yds with a Meopta and a 10.5 RRA)
    3) At inside house distances, 5.56 is plenty lethal (ask all the SWAT teams that run them)
    4) 5.56 has less of an over penetration issues than a larger round (6.5/6.8 crowds)

Given these facts, I think that there are plenty of good reasons to use a 5.56 DI SBR for fun and home/shtf defense.

ETA: The Winchester ammo is my choice if you can get it. Excellent initial quality and the brass (if you reload) is hard to beat.

Just my .02 kopeks.
    Last edited by KellyTTE; 03-25-09 at 10:42.
    Kelly H
    Yes, I know. No, I won't tell you.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rharris2163 View Post
    Looks like it's time for a couple of those .22 AR BCG conversions kits.
    My Spikes upper is on its way and I hit every wally mart in town looking for .22 bricks. It took me going to 8 of them before I found a store with any.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bernieb90 View Post
    There is nothing wrong with 5.56 in an SBR as long as the user understands the limitations of the platform.
    Dig it.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567