Thread: AI AT or AI AX308 (pre 2014)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

AI AT or AI AX308 (pre 2014)

AI AT vs AI AX308 (pre 2014)

Here in the next few months Im going to be buying one of my bucket list guns, and AI rifle. This is a personal rifle for long range shooting and possible PRS type competition for fun.

I talked with Juan at Mile High and he was suggesting I go with the AT over the pre 2014 AX due to something with the action having a bigger firing pin or something like that. I didnt want to take up all his time to go over all the details of what he meant, especially since Im not buying right now.

So what are the main mechanical differences between the two (outside of the chassis differences) and is the AT the better rifle? I like the looks of the AX chassis and the added benefit of the full top rail. That being said, me odds of using those added benefits is pretty slim. However I can get the AT with a Bartlien 6.5 barrel and the AI 308 barrel for the same price as the AX with just the 308 barrel.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    What he’s referring to is the AT having the small firing pin channel. I personally own an AT, and I opted for the small firing pin. The reason has to do with shooting warmer loads in higher pressure cartridges like the 6.5 Creedmoor, and the 6.5X47L. When the 6.5 Creedmoor came out, Hornady was the main ammo source. They were, and still are for that matter, running the 6.5 with large rifle primers. As heavier projectiles started coming out (147 ELD-M), and guys started pushing them harder, primer flow started to become an issue. Guys started seeing primer pocket deformation due to the higher pressure coupled with the large rifle primers. The easy solution was to have your firing pin channel bushed. This solved the primer pocket flow issue. A.I., because they are the most incredible production precision rifle made, began to offer the small firing pin channel on their bolts. This occurred in 14 or 15. This is what Juan in referring to.

Now, Lapua is making 6.5 CM brass using the small rifle primers. This FURTHER eliminates the problem. I am told, and I have no way of confirming this, that small rifle primers make it easier to keep standard deviation numbers lower. They supposedly make it easier to keep better consistency in loads. I do not reload enough to know if that is true. I am simply passing on what I have heard. I shoot Hornady 140 ELD-M, and 147 ELD-M exclusively now. This ammo is capable of .5” or less out of my A.I. I have multiple .475-.5 mos groups out of my rifle to back that up. For factory ammo, that’s plenty accurate for me. The time I would spend reloading in order to achieve .3-.4 mos groups is not worth it to me. I’d rather be shooting.

If you’re thinking about an A.I., do it. You won’t regret it. They are unbelievable rifles. You immediately see where the money goes when you start shooting one. They are in a different league as far as Precision, and consistency. There are many rifles that will shoot sub MOA. A.I.’s will do it rain or shine, dirty, frozen, after days in the dust and in the field etc. they will outshoot most custom rifles, and they hold their value better than many customs will. As custom makers rise and fade, they’re hot for a while, then someone else comes along, A.I. just keep shooting, and holding their value.

Feedback Score
    IIRC, the pre 14 ax does not have the quick lock barrel change feature. Takes same barrels, you just need a barrel vise and action wrench instead of a hex wrench for the AT.

AX probably comes with threaded 1:10 308 cal. AT comes with plain 1:12 .308. Not a big deal if you plan to swap to a 6.5 barrel.

A NV rail is available for the AT. Seen several pics of AXs with rail removed to allow mounting optic closer to bore.

Small firing pin hole, quick lock, and probably lower price would put me in the AT camp.
    Last edited by Bob Sacamano; 03-04-18 at 10:07.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I wouldn't bother with a pre-14 AX.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    check PM

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The AT is a very nicely engineering non-nonsense platform. If you are looking for a tried and proven basic chassis, you cannot go wrong with the AT.

I am a dealer for Cadex and AI. Both have amazing offerings. Generally speaking, I prefer the Cadex, as they have great engineering, and are clearly preferred with larger calibers. At the more basic level, AT is a great choice and is very affordable, and is also the platform that we use for Mk13 clones, except the Mk13 Mod 7, which uses the the AX chassis.

My 2-c's. Good luck
    John
    aka LONGSHOT2000

Disclosure:
    Part-Owner of Charlies Custom Clones
    Avid firearms enthusiast and 2A Constitutionalist
    and agitator of the left and the FAKE NEWS
    Scope Slut and Barrel Nerd

Instagram
    twitter
    youtube
    facebook

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by OrbitalE View Post
    I wouldn't bother with a pre-14 AX.
    Neither would I if your going to hand load hot 6.5 Creedmoor loads.