Thread: Arisaka/Malkoff Battery Life Question

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Arisaka/Malkoff Battery Life Question

So, I’m looking at putting a two CR123 light on my carbine as I would like more throw than my current 1 CR123 Arisaka M300 “clone”. I’ve pretty much narrowed my choices to the Surefire M600U and the Arisaka/Malkoff M600 “clone” with the super thrower head. Now I believe that Will from Arisaka has previously said that he actually prefers the M600U for the most part due to battery life. I see that the Arisaka/Malkoff lists a battery life of about 15-20 minutes which seems quite short. I believe I also have read things indicating that Malkoff measures battery life differently and perhaps more honestly, if you could say that, than other flashlight makers. I guess my question is, has anyone compared these two side by side for battery life? I’m quite satisfied with the M600U on my duty rifle, but it’s issued. If I can save $100, get an equally or more rugged light and have 75% or more of the battery life than I think that would be the way to go. On the other hand, if they measure battery life the same way and one is 15 minutes and the other is an hour than I’ll probably have to save my pennies. Thanks for any available guidance.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Gene is very conservative on battery life measurement. His heads also run 100% power initially and drop down to 85% continuous, and maintain this all the way until the battery is unable to keep up. If you use the light in an intermittent manner, the run time is much longer. I usually get closer to an hour if not longer when I am turning it on and off for 15-30 seconds at a time. You can also use a 16650 (not 18650) cell to get over an hour of continuous.

I still think the m600u is one of the best all around lights. Don't forget the new m600df is coming, which can take 18650 cells and has even higher output. It's a little bit larger in girth, though.

If you want to try out an e2st head on our 600 series, you can always return it for a full refund within two months, even if you use and abuse it.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    Thanks for the information Will. I ended up finding a good deal on an M600U on another site's EE and since that's what we use at work I'll just go that route since I have experience with it and know that I like it. It's good to know that about the Malkoff heads though. All I have to do now is figure out a good way to mount my current Arisaka 300 series to the picatinny rail on my 870.

Now, about that QD bipod mount I beg for every chance I get...?

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    Gene is very conservative on battery life measurement. His heads also run 100% power initially and drop down to 85% continuous, and maintain this all the way until the battery is unable to keep up. If you use the light in an intermittent manner, the run time is much longer. I usually get closer to an hour if not longer when I am turning it on and off for 15-30 seconds at a time. You can also use a 16650 (not 18650) cell to get over an hour of continuous.

I still think the m600u is one of the best all around lights. Don't forget the new m600df is coming, which can take 18650 cells and has even higher output. It's a little bit larger in girth, though.

If you want to try out an e2st head on our 600 series, you can always return it for a full refund within two months, even if you use and abuse it.
    That is good news on the 18650 body. I have been buying handhelds and putting them in your 1” ring mounts because I love 18650’s.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Marines love CLP. Chow, libo, pussy.

Beyond that everything else is a crap shoot.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Slightly off-topic, but I've been pleasantly surprised with the output/ runtime of the E2ST head on a SINGLE cell 300 series body. I always assumed the 600 series heads REQUIRED 2 cells. The runtime is obviously reduced, but still suits my needs perfectly.
    __
    Arisaka 300 series body and momentary only tailcap / Malkoff E2ST Head