Thread: Custom OAF Noveske -> URGI Gunfighter

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Custom OAF Noveske -> URGI Gunfighter

OAF Nation and Noveske made this collab gun 2-3 years ago. I was in the market for a new AR, am a big fan of OAF Nation, and always wanted another Noveske since the first AR I ever had was one of theirs. Technically, this was a factory gun but I’ve swapped the vast majority of parts on it so I think it counts. The base rifle was $2k and includes their Gen I receivers, one of their 14.5” skinny barrels with SiCo brake, NSR 13, Magpul furniture, and flat Geissele SD-E.

Parts that I’ve kept:
    Receivers
    Barrel
    Gas tube and block
    Trigger
    BCG
    Misc parts of the LPK

Working front to back, here are the parts that I’ve changed, and why. Plenty of it is cosmetic, because there are more than enough products on the market that look good and function well, so I like to have both. The other part of it is because I’m slightly OCD about having multiple parts from the same brand.

Muzzle device: the SiCo brake was, as you’d expect, super brakey. I first changed it to a BCM comp which I am a big fan of, but more recently swapped it to a SF WarComp. When I’m back in a free state, an RC2 will be one of my first purchases and though I don’t plan on suppressing a 16” gun often, I want to be able to. Plus the closed time WarComp is so hot right now.

Rail: I liked the NSR better than I expected but I was kind of bored with it to be honest. I think BCM’s MCMR looks far better, and since MLOK is apparently a superior mounting system, I used that as an excuse to give the rifle a makeover. It doesn’t hurt that it’s a tad bit lighter too.

WML: I’ve had great experiences with SureFire and really liked the concept of their Intellibeam line. I wasn’t sure how well it’d actually work, and did have an issue at first, but SureFire took care of it and the Scout Intellibeam has been great ever since. BCM Scout MLOK mount because BCM is awesome.

Take down pins: BAD ETP/EPP set. These things are really nice for how cheap they are in the grand scheme. They may not have the Noveske Iron Cross logo, but they are far easier to use than the standard pins. All of my guns have these, it’d be awesome if more companies used them on base guns.

Bolt Catch: I’ve used both the FCD ABC/R and Geissele Maritime Bolt Catch a lot. I don’t know if I have a preference, which is rare.

Mag release: FCD EMR. Same as above, really small part but I appreciate the finer details. The curved shape feels a little better and this has the ideal profile, for my purposes, over the EMR-C or the BAD design (can’t remember its name).

Safety: AXTS/Radian Talon. Very positive, I like that it can rotate between 45-90, and I didn’t have to choose between 17 models to figure out which one I liked.

Furniture: I like Magpul a lot, but I just prefer BCM’s furniture, plus I wanted FDE. I used the standard vertical grip with the NSR and really liked the QD feature, but never used the storage compartment so when I changed over the MLOK, I got the Mod 3 to save some weight and money. I also prefer the SOPMOD cheekweld to the standard. BCM MLOK rail panels are en route.

FA: just like the EMRs and BAD push pins, all of my ARs have the FCD LDFA. It makes a difference when using an ambi charging handle, so why not?

Buffer: VLTOR A5 system because of the reported benefits, frequently discussed here. I’ve paired it with a SpringCo Green spring and I believe the BCM receiver extension. A5-3 has worked flawlessly through a fair amount of gunk.

CH: I’m a fan of the BCM ambi handle but it did tend to pinch sometimes. I’m also a big fan of Geissele but always felt that the SCH wings were a tad too large. I jumped on the ACH when they were released and it’s been great.

Sights: this is the one thing that is still incomplete for this rifle. Initially it wore an EXPS-3 and G33 magnifier. I’m still a big EOTech fan but wanted to try an LPVO. The Steiner P4 allowed me to try a decent optic at a good price and I’ve found that I really like the concept. Hopefully by Christmas, it’ll have a Razor Gen II-E in a Geissele 1.93” mount. I had been eagerly waiting for the Scalarworks mount, but decided that I don’t need BUIS on this gun, especially with an optic as rugged as the Razor, so I don’t need QD and want a mount that is just as durable as the optic.

Sling: I posted a dedicated review of this sling in Jason’s thread, but bottom line is that the Redback One sling offers something that no one else does, and it works very well. Mounting it on an RSA up front is the best option that I have found.

Currently the gun has right around 4k rounds through it and it has worked great the entire time, except for the one time I let the barrel get too dirty. I’m very happy with it, and since it was a limited release, I’m glad that I have it, but I don’t know that I’ll ever buy another Noveske. The magwell is just a tad too tight (which was a problem with my first Noveske) so Gen 3 PMAGs and USGI mags are the only ones that’ll drop free. If I have the desire to spend over $1600 on an AR again, I’ll get a KAC. If not, I’ll stick to BCM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Wake27; 01-14-19 at 20:03.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Nice looking AR Wake. I've tried the marime bolt catch and may give that a shot. I definitely like what Forward Controls has put together. Roger's EMR-C is like THE PERFECT mag release button for .308's. (and I guess 3 gunners). But he designs some useful upgrades. I agree on the take-down and pivot pins. I haven't swapped out all my AR's and probably won't, but when I do a new build, I try to use them. Only time I used Noveske pins, when on a Noveske lower/upper build.

So how was your speed transition from the EOTech to the Steiner? I always believe I'm faster with my EOTech than any other sighting system, but curious to hear your thoughts. Also did you run Vicker's slings prior to Redback One? I tried slings other than Vicker's twice and regretted it both times.

It's a nice looking AR - how's the accuracy of the Noveske?
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Custom OAF Noveske

Definitely faster with the EOTech, but I picked up the LPV sooner than I expected. I really should do some drills with this and my wife’s AR which has a T-2, for comparison. I‘m excited to try the Vortex.

I used the Vickers slings pretty heavily. I still like them and think they’re a good option, but the RB1 is much better. What didn’t you like about them?

I haven’t really had the chance to group at distance unfortunately, that’s another thing that’s on the list but will be easier when I get back to the mainland. I have made hits all the way out to 600m with it though so I know if I do my part, and throw enough rounds, it’ll work...

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Custom OAF Noveske -> URGI Gunfighter

Wanted to update this as this gun is finally “complete.” It’s been through two more uppers but this point, but most of the lower and the entire concept has stayed the same. The dirty barrel instance I hinted at in my OP was actually much more complicated than that, and I have a very long thread on it but it is the reason why the upper no longer has anything from Noveske. The OP is what I would call Mod 1.5 of this gun. I replaced the Noveske upper with a complete Geissele URGI near clone for a few weeks, which was Mod 2. Below is Mod 3 and what I am super pleased with, assuming no issues arise down the road (only 80 rounds through it right now).

The upper is a custom build that Robb from VA Arms/Elite Shooting put together for me. It was influenced by my URGI but fixed my two complaints with that upper.

Barrel: 14.5 BCM BFH ELW. My biggest gripe about the URGI was the government barrel. I’ve gotten accustomed to skinny/LW barrels like the Noveske in my OP, and didn’t want the extra weight out front since there really isn’t a good reason for it. I did choose the BFH over the ELW-F for the theoretical performance increase of the BFH, though I’d love to have a BFH ELW-F. I debated a few others such as Trairc and the BRT Optimum but I was concerned about weight on the former and the latter is not yet available.

Muzzle device: I like hybrid devices so, as in my OP, I put the WarComp on this. There’s no reason I have to use a flash hider, so I like the benefits of some type of comp.

Gas system: tube is BCM because that is my go-to company, unless there is something that I know to be better. The block is from SLR, which hurts my OCD, but looking at both side by side, the SLR was smaller in diameter, so I assumed it’d help in the whole barrel/rail flex damage drama on TOS. I’m not buying into that much, but I don’t expect that the SLR will hurt the upper performance in any way.

Upper: BCM with FCD LDFA. I like the idea of BCM's upper being undersized for potential increased accuracy, and the LDFA was discussed in my OP.

Rail/CH: Geissele’s Black Friday USASOC Kit with DDC MK16 and ACH. Despite the above mentioned drama, I love everything about this rail. In theory it should be more durable than the MCMR, but still has full MLOK, reaches almost to the muzzle device for more rial-estate and shielding the barrel from supporting objects. Plus, the DDC looks awesome.

BCG: BCM IonBond because it looks cool.

Optic: Razor 1-6 HD-E in Geissele 1.93" mount. The Razor gives me up to 6 power, but my primary concern was an LPVO that has the best 1x/RDS performance available, in all of my research, this is that scope. The 1.93" mount allows me to mount and acquire the sight picture faster than a standard height. Not sure if I want to try the 2.04 or not, but it wasn't available when I bought this mount.

Light: Scout Duel Fuel for all the lumens and two battery options is a major plus.

Hopefully I can get out to shoot it and get better pictures in the next few days.

ETA - better pictures.

Last edited by Wake27; 01-14-19 at 20:21.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Funny how it takes time to figure out what really 'works' for a rifle & person.

I have a similar rifle, but with a 16" BCM ELW-F barrel complete KMR-A upper and a PST Gen 2 1-6x24. It runs great, I've put it through a carbine course and it never skips a beat, just passed a measly 2K through it.

I'd like to upgrade to a Razor-E at some point and bump the PST to a another training rifle.

Well done, thanks for sharing.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Good looking and well thought out Wake.
    I’d imagine a joy to shoot.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I love this thing. I took a class that put about 800 rounds through it in four hours of live fire. It handled much better than I expected, performed perfectly, and looks sick.

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    What's max range you shot this Wake?

Is your Vortex a ranging reticle- and is it "A" zone accurate, in terms of ranging "ticks" if so?

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    What's max range you shot this Wake?

Is your Vortex a ranging reticle- and is it "A" zone accurate, in terms of ranging "ticks" if so?
    Somehow I keep missing your responses, sorry. Unfortunately I haven’t shot it past 100m. I’m in between permanent ranges right now and don’t have access to more. There’s an LPVO class coming up that would give me that opportunity, but I’m debating that and a low light/HD pistol so I have no answer for you at the moment.

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post

oh myyyyyyyyyy