Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: 22lr Trainers

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BrigandTwoFour View Post
    Take this with a grain of salt since I haven't actually had it out to the range yet. I'm mostly comparing it to some of the other scopes I've been handling/reviewing lately for my site (Meopta Optkia6 5-30x56, Athlon ARES ETR 4.5-30x56, and Steiner P4xi 4-16x56). The Meopta and Athlon were loaners from a friend and fellow blogger, the P4xi is one that I own and mounted to my main rifle.

When I consider that those other scopes ranged from $800 to $1200 MSRP, the Strike Eagle really does bring a lot to the table for its cost (I paid less than $500 for it with a .mil discount). The glass is good, though not in the same class as the $1000+ optics. I think it's more than enough for the kinds of competition's I'll be using this rifle in. The turrets are locking, which is something a lot of people like. I don't particularly care one way or the other about locking, though I think it works well here because the turrets are easy to turn while still keeping distinct clicks. The clicks aren't as solid as the Steiner, but to be fair a lot of people complain that the Steiner's knobs were too beefy.

The illumination is very good, and I like that "this one goes to 11." I think the reticle is really good if you like the tree-style, second only to the Optika6 I tested. It's the same reticle found in the Razor Gen 2 that is so prominent in PRS, so it works really well as a trainer for that optic.

My eye does pick up a little bit of fringing when I jump to maximum magnification. It's not terrible, and certainly not enough to bother me in regular use. All optics have that to some degree or another.

In all, I think this one is a really good buy for it's segment of the market.

Edit to add: One of the biggest reasons I went with the Strike Eagle is that it focuses down to 15 yards, which is HUGE for a 22LR competition optic.
    Consider a Sightron S3 10-50 with whatever reticle you want. I like the MOA-2.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My other trainer for now that I use in Action Steel. Last weekends match, no malfs, ran perfectly...not one hiccup. Looking to change the red dot for quicker sight acquisition. Just cannot find an HS512c anywhere. It would be perfect. 35 moa circle with 2 moa dot.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Here's one that I built...

Feedback Score
    Wow! I was thinking trainers like a Romanian M1969 trainer.
    You all do some serious training. LOL

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've been bit by the .22 bug with ammo prices being what they are. I stocked up on lots of .22 at the beginning of the pandemic in anticipation of the shortage.

I just ordered a .22lr Little Badger that I'm pretty excited about, and I'm coveting a Volquartsen Summit with an EOS XL integral on it. Just burns me thinking about having to pony up that kind of cash and then wait 6 months to 2 years to get my hands on it.

I also just ordered a .22 caliber air rifle that will send a 30 grain pellet flying at about 700fps. I realized that air gun silencers aren't regulated, so I've been having lots of fun designing and 3d printing airgun mufflers.

A few days ago I fired five rounds of 223 through my Mk18 to clear out the .22 fouling, and it was just kind of surreal thinking I had just sent a five dollar bill downrange in about 10 seconds.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_JOSHUA View Post
    Here's one that I built...

Dude that is legitimately beautiful! What is it? Might have to rethink that Summit after all!

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    This thread needs an update and more pictures!

I took this during a local NRL22X match a few weeks ago. There are some serious trainers in the bunch, including Vudoos, a Sako Quad and a T1X. It was a 10 stage match with some challenging stages with targets that ranged from 40 to 286 yards.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567