Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 22lr Trainers

Feedback Score

22lr Trainers

I have a sickness, a little one. 22 caliber to be exact. I got bit by the 22lr trainer for bolt guns a few years ago. It started with a 40X and it continued with a CZ455 VPT “for my son” and culminated with converting the 40X to a repeater. To be perfectly frank, if you want to keep some money and room in your gun safe, stop reading now.

I am a member of the “40X Mafia” and my ‘Don’ is Hoser. Colorado may have the largest concentration of 40X and conversions and Hoser has been hosting some 22lr comps down at PWSA. My son and I try to make them, but end up at as many 22lr Praire Dog Matches at CRCI as we can.

So what is so great about 22 trainers? They bring a smile to this fat boys face like refrigerator-Jello cake. They are just a hoot to shoot and cheap, once you get a gun. They also are pretty good trainers. I started looking at the relationship between the 22lr ballistics and centerfire cartridges, specifically 308.

What I started to see is that 22lr comes down to about 1/4 scale 308. I posted my findings over at The Hide.

https://forum.snipershide.com/thread...-r700.6395085/

Other people have looked at it to, and come to similar conclusions:

https://finnaccuracy.com/blogs/fa-ne...best-out-of-it

And there is an article about it with some cool graphs, data and discussion.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...iner-get-best/

It’s not perfect. There is a lot of temperature sensativity that isn’t explained by ballistic calculators and air temp. I’m looking to spend a couple of mornings parsing out the 200m performance and trying to nail down the air, ammo and gun temp influences.

But for drop and wind. They are great tools. If you have kids they are fun ways to get them into shooting. If you live in the Denver area, I highly suggest either the PWSA or the CRCI matches to shoot with the kids.

There are great gun options out there. It is tough to beat a CZ455 VPT, or build up from a standard 455. The 40X and Voodo actions are awesome to get into the same stocks as the centerfire guns. The Ruger 22 RPR looks promising. Ruger 10/22 are an addiction that luckily I have been able to avoid.

Welcome to the sickness.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Screw your controlled round feed 40x repeater conversion. Damn thing cost me a call to VGW for a Ravage, who co-incidentally called back today to say it shipped!

I'd like to re-pay that favor, finally got the Kidd 10/22 accurately doped 10 to 200yd so come shoot it. Learned that a semi-auto is about 35-60 FPS slower than a bolt gun with same barrel length. I really need to chrono more often.

Feedback Score
    You going to bring the Voodo to the match on the 17th? Looks like we should be there.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I have an Anchutz, but its the heavy barrel hunting gun vs a nice target shooter. Heavy barrel is relative in 22's. I did buy the cheap Savage bolt gun with threaded barrel and rail and tactical bolt knob, its pretty nice too. I stopped just in time from going off into 40X world.

I enjoy shooting them, but I prefer my rem 700 5R in 223 for my trainer gun. Its all good.

I checked your post on the Hide, pretty cool stuff you did. I may have to test the 1/4 theory out for my stuff.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 03-08-18 at 16:36.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I have a Kidd Engineering 10/22 and a CZ 455 Tacticool. I love them both, and they are incredibly fun for the youngsters to shoot suppressed.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I shoot at CRC but I don't know much about the rimfire matches. I'll have to check them out.

Feedback Score
    Thanks. My theory on 22lr targets is that every shot should count. No “where did it go”. So I’m not a fan of off shapped (Praire dog) targets. a 1/4 scale IPSC is A LOT smaller than you’d think. It is 1/4 in each direction, so 1/16 the surface area. It is still pretty big, so I like the smaller center hole to refine shots. The target is really the the center hole, the face is for ‘misses’. Hoser mentioned about the face being able to twist to show R/L impacts, so I’m trying to incorporate them into the 2nd gen. I like the 1/4 scale IPSC because it re-enforces the visual of target approximating what you’d see through a centerfire scope.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    What is your opinion on the Tikka T1x? I know it's speculation, but wondering how it will compare with the CZ455

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by voiceofreason View Post
    What is your opinion on the Tikka T1x? I know it's speculation, but wondering how it will compare with the CZ455
    That's the big question. Tikka trigger and being able to use T3 series stocks make it a winner all ready and Sako makes the barrels for both Sako and Tikka (not confirmed yet for the T1x from my research). I dont see how this can go wrong, especially in the low $400 range. I like my CZ455, but I would buy the T1x over it. Hell, I got a Vudoo and I'm still probably going to pick up a T1x. Need more .22 matches, it's pushing the Center fire stuff off stage for me.

Feedback Score

Tikka T1x Impressions

I know this is an old thread but I found it when I was doing my research for my T1x. Thought I'd throw in my experience.

The rifle is amazing. For $469 I just don't see how you can beat it. I've got an Anschutz 1712 I paid over $2K for and this Tikka keeps right up with it. Pretty much bone stock. I did add one of Tikka's after market forearms and pistol grips but that's it. I haven't dropped it in a chassis, swapped the trigger or glass bedded it. The only thing I added was a suppressor. What I found in this case with this rifle is that it seems to have far fewer fliers than my unsuppressed Anschutz. Using Lapua Midas ammo, a solid one piece rest and a Bushnell 4500 8-32x40 scope it is boringly accurate. On a still day you can cover a 20 round group shot at 50 yards with your thumbnail. I turned the trigger down to it's lightest setting and it breaks just under 2 lbs. It's not a pretty gun but man does it shoot!

My friends laughed at me when I showed up at the club with it. It's sure not as pretty as that 1712 ( I still love that rifle...on looks alone). But it shot just as well as the 40x, Anschutz 54 and Vudoo that day. I know how incredulous that sounds. Believe it or not. My advice is to buy one and then try calling me a liar. I'm telling you I've never been more surprised in my life. I know Tikka makes a good rifle but damn!

Stay Safe

Heavyweight

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast