Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hot weather training

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aubrey
    Brewing your own beer is similar to loading/reloading your own ammo, it allows you to do more for the same financial expenditure. One of the disadvantages of brewing your own beer is that it allows you to drink more beer (and intake more calories).

Intake calores > calories expended = "Nice ass."
    Hey, Aubrey, is that thermodynamics?

Bread is the staff of life. Man does not live by bread alone... Beer = Liquid Bread. Life without good beer ain't livin'.

I have cut back to one/day (half the Royal Navy ration) or a glass of red wine. If it's good beer, one is enough. My level of physical activity is way up since the Fourth. No more (or very little) fructose corn sweeteners. My chiropractor says that stuff really adds pounds. She also says splend and aspartme do bad things to the brain. So, I'll stick to beer.

Feedback Score
    In this months Runners World magazine there are several articles on hot weather training. Worth the reading.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Submariner
    Hey, Aubrey, is that thermodynamics?

Bread is the staff of life. Man does not live by bread alone... Beer = Liquid Bread. Life without good beer ain't livin'.

I have cut back to one/day (half the Royal Navy ration) or a glass of red wine. If it's good beer, one is enough. My level of physical activity is way up since the Fourth. No more (or very little) fructose corn sweeteners. My chiropractor says that stuff really adds pounds. She also says splend and aspartme do bad things to the brain. So, I'll stick to beer.

Sub,
    Kudos to you for recognizing a need and having the resolve to make changes. Here's an anecdote that you may enjoy...

As a friend of mine ("Joe") neared another big birthday, he thought he would make an effort to clean up his act and lead a more healthy life. So he recently picked a new primary care physician at the VA, an old guy that he thought would identify with his stage of life. After two visits and all the exhaustive lab tests, he said Joe was doing "fairly well" for his age.

A little concerned about that comment, Joe couldn't resist asking him, "So you think I'll live to be 90?"

He looked at Joe's chart and said, "You don't smoke or drink a lot ... even beer or wine."

"Oh no," Joe replied. "I'm not doing drugs anymore either."

Then he asked, "Do you like big rib-eye steaks and barbecued ribs running with hot sauce?"

Joe said, "No, I know that all that red meat is very unhealthy!"

"Do you spend a lot of time in the outdoors shooting, hunting, or fishing?"

"No, I would like to do some of that again, but I don't seem to now," Joe said.

He asked, "Do you take any gambles, like driving fast, engage in dangerous sports or have a lot of wild sex?"

No," Joe said. "I don't do any of those kind of things anymore."

He looked up at Joe and said, "Then why do you give a damn?"
    Aubrey<><

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by generic
    Yeah, I use the generic WallyWorld UA copies. They work just fine for me.
    Hrm, where are they stashed in the store? Sporting goods or somewhere else?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I like the 5.11 T's a lot better that the UA one -- they pill less. However running them operationally is becoming unsound, there are some new Nomex/Aramid wicking ones on the market now.
    http://massif.com/nomex_clothing/cool_knit_t-shirt.php
    I have no first hand knowledge of them - I ordered a few - but sent them to my parents as I am leaving here in a bit. One of my buddies has a few and says they are GTG.

I love camelbacks -- but I keep the yuppie Nalgene's onhand too (much easier to measure water intake with them - and use the camleback while on the line etc.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123