Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 55gr Remington UMC

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    i've been using it for my LMT since i can get it for $75/200rds. i haven't had a malfunction (knock on wood). doesn't seem any dirtier than the UMC or Blazer that i use for my 9mm.

just for clarification, my brass casings are alittle discolored at the "neck"/bullet end. appears to be heat annealing type discoloration. is that the same for you guys?
    A government big enough to give everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chillindrdude View Post
    my brass casings are alittle discolored at the "neck"/bullet end. appears to be heat annealing type discoloration. is that the same for you guys?
    On some of the UMC I find this. This is something I want to see on my brass. The newer boxes of UMC are shiney like Federal AE. I don't know if this is because they polish off the annealing or if they're skipping the annealing?
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    setback on a rifle round? wow that's scary

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lanceriley View Post
    setback on a rifle round? wow that's scary
    Man yea...
    Fortunately, it jam on it's way up to the chamber (partly still in the mag) each time.
    I am still afraid to use it....wondering why!

Feedback Score
    I would suggest you dispose of that specific ammo. if it sets back again... it will be very disastrous. I know ammo is expensive but so is good guns.... and let's not forget your safety

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lanceriley View Post
    I would suggest you dispose of that specific ammo. if it sets back again... it will be very disastrous. I know ammo is expensive but so is good guns.... and let's not forget your safety
    Just run it through a crimp die. Or bargain it to a reloader who can... or wants it for components.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth0 View Post
    They shoot OK but like most have said, they are overpriced right now.

My only problem is from the 1K I ordered few months ago, I already had 5 or 6 setback with this ammo. Still have more than 500 rounds to go....
    setback from what? repeatedly chambering same round? how did you measure and how much setback are we talking?

Feedback Score
    I would agree selling it for components but to have it recrimp. I would still have my doubts.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taliv View Post
    setback from what? repeatedly chambering same round? how did you measure and how much setback are we talking?
    He's getting the bullet set WAY back from just normal cycling.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by demigod View Post
    He's getting the bullet set WAY back from just normal cycling.
    And again, HOW is he getting setback?

The act of chambering a round should not produce setback, that's usually associated with recoil bouncing the bullets inside the mag, Think Kinetic Bullet puller in reverse.

It could be a QC issue with the Ammo itself, or it could be something totally different.

As for knowing he had setback, how did he know? If it's jamming before chambering, it's the bullets being bounced around in the mag from recoil, and I'd bet dollars to dimes that the problem only associates itself to that mag. If they chamber and fire, there is no way to know if you had setback, other than MAYBE an increased recoil/report, unless you can recover the brass to look at pressure signs...And I'm not talking looking at the primer. If they are NOT chambering, and instead jamming on feedramps, I'd place the blame again with the mag not orienting the round properly for the bolt to strip it off.

If I see ANY problems with factory ammo, I let the factory that produced it know about it. Usually, they respond by giving me free ammo to replace the problem ones.

Here's a small test to see if case mouth tension is correct. Take a loaded round and measure OAL. Than, push it bullet first into your bench with moderate pressure. Measure again. Sufficient mouth tension will not allow that bullet to move. If it DOES, then the case mouth was expanded too far in the loading process, not allowing the case to properly grip the bullet. I usually see that problem in dies that are not set up correctly, and the expander ball is too far towards the open end of the die.

Any round that does not pass the "Push Test" gets torn apart and recycled. I have only seen a true case of setback in factory ammo exactly 3 times. Every time the ammo company in question confirmed a QC problem with that lot and refunded the ammo. Ammo companies are REALLY shy about liability lawsuits and any sign of defective ammo usually gets attention right away.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast