Thread: Benchrest rifle built on a Hall E action

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Benchrest rifle built on a Hall E action

My buddy is a retired SgtMaj from 5th SFG. He is also a gunsmith. Back in about 1994 (or thereabout) he bought a benchrest rifle built on a Hall E action by a guy from Alabama named Mercer. Apparently Mercer is now deceased FWIW. He has never fired it and dropped close to $15K on it at the time. Why you'd drop that kind of cash and never fire the damn thing is beyond me but whatever.

The specs are as follows:

Hall E action

3 barrels, all Hart fluted SS.....7 STW, 6x284, and 6x22 (apparently a separate bolt for the 6x22)

Jewell trigger

McMillan benchrest stock

All tools necessary for changing barrels

I realize something like that has a really niche, narrow following, but what is it worth today? What kind of venue is the best to advertise it in? I don't know squat about the benchrest scene and my buddy isn't a real online type of guy.
    Last edited by ABNAK; 03-10-18 at 18:28.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I shoot competitive benchrest, hopefully I can help steer you in the right direction.

Best places to advertise would be on benchrest central (http://benchrest.com/) and/or accurateshooter (http://www.accurateshooter.com/).

Unfortunately everything you listed is pretty dated, though by no means bad in any way, just not the "popular" options.

I would find out rifle weight, barrel length, is the action glued, glued and screwed, or just screwed. Also, what is the bolt/port(s) setup.

15k is a LOT for just what you listed. All of my competition rifles have run me 3-5k depending on paint and stock choice.

15k is usually one of the common numbers for an all inclusive package, meaning rifle, glass, rest, bag, dies, press, powder measure, etc.

Does it include custom dies (for 15K it should have)? If so, who made them. That will help make the package more appealing.

If it really was just the rifle, then I hate to say it, but in reality most buyers who would consider that rifle would look at it and only really value the action and trigger.

If the barrels were still blanks, they would hold more value. They are chambered in oddball cartridges that are not terribly popular in todays BR competition.

All inclusive, I would say he would be lucky to walk away with 2k for what you have listed.

This custom stuff is a ton of fun, but depreciates the instant you walk out the door with it.

Josh

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by masan View Post
    I shoot competitive benchrest, hopefully I can help steer you in the right direction.

Best places to advertise would be on benchrest central (http://benchrest.com/) and/or accurateshooter (http://www.accurateshooter.com/).

Unfortunately everything you listed is pretty dated, though by no means bad in any way, just not the "popular" options.

I would find out rifle weight, barrel length, is the action glued, glued and screwed, or just screwed. Also, what is the bolt/port(s) setup.

15k is a LOT for just what you listed. All of my competition rifles have run me 3-5k depending on paint and stock choice.

15k is usually one of the common numbers for an all inclusive package, meaning rifle, glass, rest, bag, dies, press, powder measure, etc.

Does it include custom dies (for 15K it should have)? If so, who made them. That will help make the package more appealing.

If it really was just the rifle, then I hate to say it, but in reality most buyers who would consider that rifle would look at it and only really value the action and trigger.

If the barrels were still blanks, they would hold more value. They are chambered in oddball cartridges that are not terribly popular in todays BR competition.

All inclusive, I would say he would be lucky to walk away with 2k for what you have listed.

This custom stuff is a ton of fun, but depreciates the instant you walk out the door with it.

Josh
    Tell me about it, and it ain't just benchrest stuff! Thanks for explaining.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!