Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mk12'ish build

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Mk12'ish build

I know, everybody has one, and now I do too. There seems to have been a big fad awhile back with these but I never jumped until recently. I always liked the one I saw here and elsewhere and was intrigued by the accuracy that was supposedly possible and when I parted out my SAM build I did so with building a Mk12 mod1. The mod0 never excited me, no quad rail 😉. The mod1 though, to me, is just a beautiful rifle.
    Mine isn't an according to Hoyle , true to the truest clone but it's in the ballpark enough for me and hopefully enough for you too.
    Starting with a BCM upper and lower. They were bought as separate components and not take-offs from a BCM rifle. All small bits in the lower are quality parts from BCM except for the Geissele HSNM trigger using the DMR springs. Stock is a VLTOR A5 system. Ergo original grip that I saw as the only other viable option to the standard grip. I do hope to switch out the trigger guard though for the original straight model.
    Bolt and carrier are from Centurion Arms and the charging handle is a BCM Mod3.
    I of course had to use the Knights 21318 ff rail. Knights rail covers and a correct Knights stud type sling mount, and Knights buis. He'll, they're actually really nice irons and would use them on any rifle, not just on one that historically used them.
    Inside that KAC rail is an 18" Mk12 barrel from Monty at Centurion Arms with CRANE spec gas block, pinned, and an Ops Inc Mk12 spec muzzle brake/suppressor mount.
    Underneath that is a Harris sbrm in a Larue qd mount. Yes, I plan to replace the mount with the correct mount which as far as I can ascertain is the ARMS 32. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Optic is another area which is not spec, it's a Vortex pst 2.5-10x32 and not the correct Leupold unit ($$$$$). I do have the correct ARMS 22 high rings though.
    So, I'm sure everyone sees all the deviations from a true to form clone but I am slowly working on addressing those.
    One thing for sure, I'm replacing the A5 with a standard A2 and Sprinco unit. I know the collapsible unit was often added by the operators but to me, the A2 just looks right, and I can use the A5 elsewhere.
    Like other here, I will attest to the quality of Lamonts barrels. Not gonna throw out numbers but it can shoot better than I can, and I'm pretty damn good. Beautiful bore and chamber, perfect crown and the alignment notch for the gas block is present just like the RECCE barrel.
    Both he and his wife Corrie are just classy people who have put out great products.

Feedback Score
    Looks like a nice project. I'm not a clone dork, so I see no issues with deviating from the original spec (particularly when it comes to ARMS rings). Things have come a long way since the first spec came out.

Enjoy it!
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Very nicely done. Yours is more “true clone” than mine. I used a KAC lower, Rainier Arms ultraMatch Barrel and BCM BCG.
    57A796A6-C8A6-4A78-9A94-505F00106D06.jpg
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrodder636 View Post
    Very nicely done. Yours is more “true clone” than mine. I used a KAC lower, Rainier Arms ultraMatch Barrel and BCM BCG.
    57A796A6-C8A6-4A78-9A94-505F00106D06.jpg
    Congrats, still a fine looking build and those Rainerarms tubes are supafine barrels. So what if mine is more of a correct clone than yours. I bet it shoots great and that's what counts my man. I'm just a history buff and that drove this build to what it is. I still have a few parts to get though. That's a big part of the fun too, hunting all the parts, especially when one has such a well defined shopping list already laid out.
    Great job on your rifle, it looks like a fine one.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrigandTwoFour View Post
    Looks like a nice project. I'm not a clone dork, so I see no issues with deviating from the original spec (particularly when it comes to ARMS rings). Things have come a long way since the first spec came out.

Enjoy it!
    Yeah, the ARMS rings were tough to bear, but you know, they're not that bad, as long as you don't plan on actually testing their return to zero.
    And for mostly a bench gun the KAC rail will do nicely.
    Since Jr. High, my favorite subject was always history. That seems to continue to this day and I actually do want to build a perfect clone of the Mk12, at least that's the end game goal for this rifle but Im no clone dork either by any means. They cost too much money. This build though was way less than my wallet killer build I posted recently. I built the Mk12 way before I built it. The mk12 price tag was actually mild by comparison. I already had many of the components.
    So, I do plan on seeking out the rest of the needed parts to be as accurate as I can make it and that includes receivers possibly.

Feedback Score
    Sweet looking build. I just got a 20 inch prescion gun up and running a few months ago. They are a blast to shoot. Have you gotten a chance to take that one through it's paces?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Yes. I've shot it a little. Just a function test basically. I shot some IMI 77 gr stuff and some Federal mk262. I definitely favored the Federal. It turned in some sub moa groups easily @100yards. The smallest being .565" I have loaded up some loads that will really bring out the best of the Centurion mk12 tube, at least they're loads I've had good luck with before, Accurate2520, ARComp, TAC and 8208xbr. All under some Sierra 77gr OTM MKs. I also loaded some 73gr Hornady ELD and some SMK 69gr loads just because. Just waiting for some warmer weather that's just around the corner.
    I switched out the Vltor A5 system for an A2 stock the other day. I love the look and hope I have function like I've had with all of the A5s I've used, 100%. I just like the A2 look on the Mk12s. I'm using a stock rifle buffer and Sprinco green so we will see soon.
    Last edited by BillB; 03-25-18 at 09:28.

Feedback Score
    The 2-8 leupolds can still be bought new in the $8-900 range.

Nice looking rig.
    “I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” – Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    IMI 77 and 69 grain has worked well in mine. Starting to get into reloading so that is going to be a lot of interesting experiences I am sure. Wanting to try some 77 grain Blackhills tmk's. I think the real fun of these type of rifles is when you can get them out to 300 yards plus.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I agree and fortunately for me I have a friend here on the eastern shore with some very long and wide open property who let's me shoot there, over 700 yards. I've not taken full advantage of the entire distance yet but once I do some load development I will start to. Should be fun.
    Mine just did not like the IMI, but that's the thing, they're all different aren't they.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast