Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hornady says no non monolithic supersonic bullets in MCX 1:5 twist .300blk with can

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrgunsngear View Post
    FWIW, some chrono data below from a 1:5 7.5'' barrel and 110s:

Mrgunsngear,

Thanks for that. That's really helpful.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    Vmax is not a reliable shape for defensive use. Because the OAL is so short it can cause a magazine to jam. Stick to full length rounds like black tip to avoid this. Also for terminal performance and not worrying about the twist rate.
    Thank you for the info. Is there any information this could be magazine dependent i.e. USGI vs Lancer? If not it's a shame, because the 110gr Vmax had exactly the performance I was looking for; bigger permanent cavity and lessened barrier penetration.

I've sent an email off to Hornady asking them to comment or investigate.
    Last edited by Aries144; 07-03-19 at 11:41.

Feedback Score
    Hornady responded to my question asking if 110gr Vmax has had any issues functioning in AR15 pattern magazines with the following:

"We have never had any issues with the 110 gr. V-Max rounds functioning in the AR platform."

ETA: This is not to discount Todd's word on the matter in any way. For all I know, Hornady may simply not have encountered it in testing.

Has anyone witnessed, or read any first person reports of, 110gr Vmax .300blk having magazine feed stoppages?
    Last edited by Aries144; 07-03-19 at 20:47.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Load a mag. Smack the front a few times. See if any rounds move forward.

It's not something you will see at the range, just loading and firing.

Remington originally loaded a bunch of UMC for the rollout, it was to be the cheap blaster ammo. It had a .308" sized AK FMJ. I shot a bunch of it in testing, including full auto, without any issues. They gave some to a guy who loaded up a chest rig and bounced mags around all day in carbine class. Some rounds shifted and caused malfunctions.

Remington pulled the ammo and designed the new, long skinny nosed bullet that we see today.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    Load a mag. Smack the front a few times. See if any rounds move forward.

It's not something you will see at the range, just loading and firing.

Remington originally loaded a bunch of UMC for the rollout, it was to be the cheap blaster ammo. It had a .308" sized AK FMJ. I shot a bunch of it in testing, including full auto, without any issues. They gave some to a guy who loaded up a chest rig and bounced mags around all day in carbine class. Some rounds shifted and caused malfunctions.

Remington pulled the ammo and designed the new, long skinny nosed bullet that we see today.
    Thank you for being so specific. That certainly wouldn't be discovered outside of a 2 gun match or something similarly physical with gear. Thanks.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123