Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Free Float Question I Haven't Seen Posted Yet

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by R6436 View Post
    Non-proprietary tools is definitely a plus, same with longer barrel nuts. If you don't mind my asking, how does the Hodge/Mega anti-rotation system work? I see on Mega's site it is a pin, is this in the absence of tabs on the top near the rail?
    Yes, the pin from the handguard going into the upper is the main anti-rotation device on the MEGA/Hodge handguards, so you would need to use an upper that is compatable with them (Hodge, Mega and there are others forged and billet ones out there). They also incorporate two small set screws that go through the handguard and bear against the barrel nut, one on each side that would help a little. I like to torque barrel my barrel nuts to 45-50 ft lbs. Also, the barrel nut to handguard fit on the Geissele and Mega handguards is usually very snug and *do not* not distort the upper rail at all when they are tightened or fastened on. You may see some rail distortion when tightening some handguards on, when using some of the cheaper and what I like to call the squish type clamp on handguards
    Last edited by Biggy; 03-13-18 at 13:05.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dmd08 View Post
    First off I am not an engineer.

The rail is not a complete circle of metal around the barrel nut since you have to have the channel at 12 o'clock for the gas tube/gas block to fit through. Clamping the rail at the bottom of the barrel nut seems like it could create flex in the channel at 12 o'clock. Clamping the rail at the top of the barrel nut cinches the rail around the barrel nut with no room for any flex or expansion. Whether this is actually happening or if it even matters if it's happening is for you to decide. As I said I haven't used a BCM rail yet. And the Geissele rails I do have clamp at the bottom. With a good design it probably doesn't matter but when I see how BCM does it, it just makes sense to me.

I made an ugly paint picture to show what I'm thinking.
    Attachment 50977
    That's how BCM explains it too.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by officerX View Post
    That's how BCM explains it too.
    That's probably where it got in my head from then. Definitely not claiming it as my original thought. I think there was some discussion along those lines here at m4c when the kmr first came out too.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dmd08 View Post
    First off I am not an engineer.

The rail is not a complete circle of metal around the barrel nut since you have to have the channel at 12 o'clock for the gas tube/gas block to fit through. Clamping the rail at the bottom of the barrel nut seems like it could create flex in the channel at 12 o'clock. Clamping the rail at the top of the barrel nut cinches the rail around the barrel nut with no room for any flex or expansion. Whether this is actually happening or if it even matters if it's happening is for you to decide. As I said I haven't used a BCM rail yet. And the Geissele rails I do have clamp at the bottom. With a good design it probably doesn't matter but when I see how BCM does it, it just makes sense to me.

I made an ugly paint picture to show what I'm thinking.
    Attachment 50977
    TwangNBang has a good video on YouTube demonstrating this with cardboard.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackblack73 View Post
    TwangNBang has a good video on YouTube demonstrating this with cardboard.
    That video was informative not just for explaining the barrel nut/rail system, but the over all review he did. I greatly prefer hands-on explanations like he did over how some just tell you about something in a voice over with non-related video. Only issue I had trying to find his video was I kept getting distracted by other videos he has. The nerd in me really wishes that sci-fi inspired armor was NIJ rated, it looked really cool :-)
    Our Liberties we prize and our Rights we will defend.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12