Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: .22 caliber M16 at Air Force basic training, 1972

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FightinQ View Post
    There is no shame in this admittance of yours. You are honest, and that to me is worth more in respect points than a liar who probably did shoot 5.56 but claims he was a recon delta seal or some other BS.

From this retired Army combat veteran to you a former Airman, you are most welcome at any table myself or my brothers to drink and feast with.
    +1. We all signed on the dotted line, served where we were assigned, and were honorably discharged. No shame there.

Feedback Score
    Budgetary constraints are a big factor often. While I was in the national guard during the time mid 80’s to early 90’s, we often used the conversion kits and .22 ammo to do short range qual on indoor ranges. Even funnier later in the 90’s I was assigned to a tank battalion and for practicing gunnery and maneuver in tanks, the line companies had these funny elevated chair platforms on wheels, and each tank crew would take turns either pushing the chair around simulating tank movements, or sit in the chair shooting a pellet gun into tiny minuture tank targets!
    Keep in mind a 50 round box of .22 for qual per soldier in a 100 man company would cost less than 200 dollars for the unit. For 5.56 the same ammo cost would be a conservative $750 dollars, then add in the time to drive to a range capable of qualifying on a standard military course, the cost of fuel, etc and the saving becomes obvious

Feedback Score
    Basic at Lackland, July 1994. Crew chief AFSC. Fired an old school m-16, slick side, triangle hand guards, with 3 pronged flash hider. We did actually fire 5.56 ammo.

Feedback Score
    A good friend of mine went through Lackland in 1980 and served from 1980 to 1984. He was a "Weapons Troop" (loaded ordnance on aircraft). The only firearms training he had the whole time he was in was 50 rounds of .22LR during basic through a slick side M16.

He always thought it was funny that they trusted him with B61 Nuclear Bombs with up to a 360 kiloton yield, but not 5.56 rifle ammo .

Just my .02,
    LeonCarr
    "If you attempt to leave, or play any games, I will TAZER you and watch Supernanny while you drool into the carpet." - Agent Coulson to Tony Stark in Iron Man 2

Feedback Score
    I thought the MAC/Attichisson 22 Conversion Unit first marketed in 1972 was the first M16/AR15 22 Conversion unit (predating both the M261 and Airforce units )

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That is really amazing. I can see occasional use of .22lr for simplicity and cost savings. But everyone serving faces the possibility of being thrown into combat whether planned or not. Every single service member should be qualified on at least one individual weapon, besides a nuke! It is shameful the command structure thinks it is OK to not train on combat arms just because they want to save a few bucks. I hope things are much better these days. Anyone signing up deserves to be trained to protect themselves and their unit. Otherwise we are asking THEM to roll the dice on their lives, certainly not the generals’.
    It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! ... Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry in an address at St. John’s Church, Richmond, Virginia, on March 23, 1775.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    Seems like there wasn’t a lot of consistency from year to year, maybe dependent on future MOS? Can’t say we’ve talked a lot about the topic. I do know he also went through Lackland, just a year or less before you, firecop.
    I think its mainly just to get a weapon in everyone's hand for those people that may have never handled a weapon before.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I went through Lackland at the end of 68....As others have mentioned we shot what we were handed which was an M16. Basic Instruction, two weeks later we went a second time...You didn't ask questions....Again M16....No shortage of Ammunition in 68.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by langss View Post
    I went through Lackland at the end of 68....As others have mentioned we shot what we were handed which was an M16. Basic Instruction, two weeks later we went a second time...You didn't ask questions....Again M16....No shortage of Ammunition in 68.
    I went thru Lackland in August 1977, nothing had changed.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MASP7 View Post
    That mirrors my experience in the summer of '83 (Medina Annex of Lackland AFB, if I remember correctly)
    In fact, I never fired a round of actual 5.56 ammo in 7 years.
    Lol

Wow. The Air Force is like a whole other world.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast