Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: .22 caliber M16 at Air Force basic training, 1972

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My memory isn't that great but as I recall at Lackland in 1977 we first dry fired some beat to hell rifles that wouldn't actually fire. Live fire wasn't much and we were told we would never fire on full auto, and never did. We never trained on field stripping and cleaning in basic training either.

When I got to Whiteman AFB and we were on occasion to be issued M16s, a buck sgt or higher had to oversee the loading of the magazines and weapon. Since I was working with a buck sgt and I was just then the rank of airman, 1 stripe, he would oversee me loading my weapon then watch me loading his since technically a buck sgt or higher would have to observe him if he loaded his own. Anyone remember anything like this?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Lol

Wow. The Air Force is like a whole other world.
    You got that right...My first PDA was to KI Sawyer...Time to Qualify...M1 Carbines, No Range....Just shoot at the Berm. Then Orders for Vietnam...M16 Training, at Hamilton AFB before I go. Raining to hard, never fired a shot. I arrive...issued a weapon on paper only. Later guess what...M16 Training....Again handed a weapon, told to shoot at the hill....emptied several magazines filled with loose rds from a wooden box. Turned in weapon(on paper), and that was the last time I had anything close to a weapon while finishing out my last 19 mos. One would have to assume arriving at my last PDA (George AFB) in March of 71, I would have had at least 2 more times to qualify, but I guess it got paper whipped.

Feedback Score
    They must have done something right, we’re all still alive...

Feedback Score
    deleted
    Last edited by LeonCarr; 01-15-20 at 15:04.
    "If you attempt to leave, or play any games, I will TAZER you and watch Supernanny while you drool into the carpet." - Agent Coulson to Tony Stark in Iron Man 2

Feedback Score
    My eldest son went to Navy Basic Training at Great Lakes, Illinois from December 1995-March 1996. They qualified with a .22 LR M16.
    Maj. USAR (Ret) 160th SOAR, 2/17 CAV
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234