Thread: Any reason not to buy a DDI 12 gauge AK???

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Any reason not to buy a DDI 12 gauge AK???

I know some of their rifles had issues and I know the company is gone now.

I have a VEPR 12. I do not like the mag insertion, it can be tricky and difficult. I prefer the rock lock of the Saiga mags, and availability too. So, I want a Saiga or something that takes saiga mags.

Everyone wants stupid prices for their tapco commando custom saiga that they converted in their basement.

So I thought maybe the DDI would be an alternative.

What, if any are their known issues?

TED

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I had one,wouldn’t cycle low brass until I polished the bolt and rails, the extractor sheared off around the 50th round.
    I put a new one in and sold it after a demo fire of 3 12rnd drums

Feedback Score
    The DDI is Chinese, so parts are probably going to be unique. Do some research before you commit if you're expecting compatibility with Saiga parts.

I'm interested in reading more about your experience with your Vepr. I find it strange that you prefer the rock in type magazine on an AK shotgun! I ran both types in competition and found the Vepr to be worlds better than a Saiga. A simple upward push on a magazine and you're set, even on a closed bolt, even with a 12rnd mag, and having automatic bolt lock made mag changes really effortless.

I found the rock-in mags on a Saiga to be much more time consuming and fumble prone. The best way was to hold the entire shotgun by the bolt handle with the right hand, holding the bolt handle to the rear, while using the left hand to insert the magazine. Loading on a closed bolt was extremely awkward and required such an absurd amount of upward force and coordination by comparison that it wasn't worth the potential loss of time because of the high risk of a fumble. My wife was completely frustrated trying to run the Saiga in competition while the Vepr was easy for her.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I don't have very much time on the platform (or shotguns in general, not a big fan).

I do however seem to like the rock and lock better. Maybe because it is what I am used to on AK platforms in general.

TED

Feedback Score
    Ok, that's cool. Just to check- you have tried a rock and lock AK shotgun before, right? Inserting mags on a rock and lock AK shotgun is very different from an AK rifle.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries144 View Post
    Ok, that's cool. Just to check- you have tried a rock and lock AK shotgun before, right? Inserting mags on a rock and lock AK shotgun is very different from an AK rifle.
    I have. It was long ago however. I actually had one of the first Saiga 12's in the country in the mid to late 90's.

TED

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TED View Post
    I have. It was long ago however. I actually had one of the first Saiga 12's in the country in the mid to late 90's.

TED
    Still mystified that you like that method of reloading better, but to each his own!

The only thing I can offer is to check around on the internet about compatibility with Saiga parts and magazines and/or availability of parts specific to it. I'm not sure if it's compatible with Saiga stuff.

Didn't Palmetto State Armory buy out DDI, and weren't they going to pick up the importation and sale of those shotguns? You might check out their website and shoot them an email asking questions about their support for that line.

The bullpup shotgun that looks like the Chinese bullpup assault rifle was part of the same import lot I think. It seemed kind of cool. It had straight-in mags though, not rock-in.

Feedback Score