Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help with low back pain

Louisiana, On I-10 west of NOLA, east of BR
    Feedback Score
    I had low back and leg pain. I was diagnosed with spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 ( L4 was slipping forward off of L5). Physical therapy and injections did not help and I was told fusion of L4/L5 was the only cure. I began doing weight training, specifically dead lifts and squats. Within 6 weeks the pain was gone. I am 74 years old, 164 pounds and now dead lift 220 and squat 160.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    Yeah, sorry...that was my point. Generally speaking, for any particular human ailment, it's best to have an actual diagnosis before embarking on a treatment plan ("cart-before-horse"...”I don’t know why you’re having abdominal pain Mr. Smith, but let’s take your gallbladder out and see if that helps”). There are many potential causes of low back pain, even in a physically fit 23 year old male. Physical therapists can be valuable members of the healthcare team but they can't provide you with a medical diagnosis, it is outside the scope of their license in most states. You have a one-year history of having refractory axial back pain that is occasionally so severe that putting your socks on is nearly impossible. You've embarked on WAG treatment plans that haven't helped and now have turned to the internet. Maybe you'll get your back problem solved by internet gun forum experts, but I would be more inclined to recommend seeing a non-internet doctor and let him/her have a crack at actually making a diagnosis.

I understand, the thing is I have seen a doctor. Who recommended me to physical therapy. My doctor thought stretches and exercises will fix whatever problem I had. For a while, I did too, so I went on here to see if anyone had similar issues/ protocols for what they did. But now, since that stuff didn't help, and my doc fed me the same bullshit he tells everyone with back pain, I am trying to get looked at again and recommended to civilian care.

Military doctors, in my experience, are only good at prescribing ibuprofen. Beyond that, I'm not sure what they really do.
    It is from the construction of underground FEMA camps. I can't say more because there a guy parked in front of house in an AMC Pacer. He is acting like he talking on the phone, but I know better.

I have to sign off now & put my laptop in the microwave.
    - cqbdriver

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zane1844 View Post
    I understand, the thing is I have seen a doctor. Who recommended me to physical therapy. My doctor thought stretches and exercises will fix whatever problem I had. For a while, I did too, so I went on here to see if anyone had similar issues/ protocols for what they did. But now, since that stuff didn't help, and my doc fed me the same bullshit he tells everyone with back pain, I am trying to get looked at again and recommended to civilian care.

Military doctors, in my experience, are only good at prescribing ibuprofen. Beyond that, I'm not sure what they really do.
    Yeah, I get that you're stuck. Military doctors are used to treating younger patients, a population that's less likely to have anything wrong with them. If your pain has been going on a year, your doctor is on the wrong track

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I don't really have anything useful to add, but I hope you're able to get access to another doc who takes your complaint seriously and gets you sorted out. I had an injury that resulted in crazy back and sciatica pain for a good portion of my adult life and that shit is no joke.

Good luck!

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I agree with every "try" and "avoid" in this link. My two preferred exercises when really hurting are the "pelvic tilt" and the "knee to chest" but I clasped the knee I am raising with my hands and gently pull it to my chest, hold and release. Swimming and aquatic exercises are lifesavers if you have access to a pool. So is a yoga ball, it is great for core exercise and just laying on to stretch out your back, if sit for a living alternate between the ball and the chair (assuming that sitting isn't a truck driver or heavy equipment operator).

Something else I have found that helps immensely, is to balance your EDC load. I started carrying two pistols AIWB because I discovered the equal load made a huge difference compared to IWB or even OWB strong-side one pistol with a spare or two opposite. YMMV
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I also won't suggest "try this". I would, as Hmac suggested, find a doctor to properly diagnose the problem. I've been living with lower back pain for over 20 years, and it might not be as acute now if I and the doctor I was seeing at the time had diagnosed the problem properly in a timely manner.

I got a stress fracture in my lower vertebrae while playing hockey when I was 21 or 22. Doctor recommendation at first was PT. It hurt more afterward, but I kept going and playing hockey too. At one point it hurt so much I could barely walk. We finally had a bone scan done and the doctor said stop all physical activity and had me in a corset like back brace for 16 weeks! I found a different back doctor after that.

My long winded point here is find a doctor to figure what is wrong before embarking on possibly damaging therapy. I now have arthritis in my lower back and its a constant struggle keeping it from hurting a lot, especially since I still ice skate and like to "run and gun" when shooting.

NC

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123