Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tent or Tarp?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Kifaru Super Tarp with annex plus para stove.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 03-24-18 at 06:54.

Feedback Score
    I think tarps reach their maximum usefulness when you are also able to have a fire nearby. Maybe not as much in Summer, but I would be hard pressed to want to camp in an open sided tarp without a fire in the winter.

I have a DD 10x10 tarp, also with 16 tie outs rather than grommets, its very useful.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterHelix View Post
    Tarps work great for both hammock-ing and ground camping. The 10x10 tarps at Bushcraft Outfitters are my favorite. They have reinforced webbing tie-outs instead of grommets.

Here's my BCO 10x10 configured for ground camping.
    There's a BCO 5x7 inside as a ground cloth.
    Attachment 51126

(Ugh. My pic is upside down. Oh well)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    If you like the tarp, just carry a tube-tent for rainy backup and put it underneath the tarp. For winter, unless you are on TV doing a hunting show, just get a cabin.

Feedback Score
    Similar effect from a poncho being used as a "tent." I carry two ponchos and a poncho liner in my car. Poncho liner and one poncho makes for an improvised sleeping bag and second poncho is the "tent" or tarp shelter. Head hole can be used for adjusting ventilation so you don't get too wet from condensation. The poncho and liner I'm using are from Wiggys. The liner has an insulated hood so you can wear it with the poncho over your clothes. Makes for a very warm outer layer.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    As mentioned above, if you like tarps, take a hard look at Kifaru. I have a Paratarp and love it. Super light at 13.4oz, versatile, no silly bright fluorescent colors. Ultimate light weight 1 man + gear shelter.

Its a snug fit, but I've spent many nights sharing a Paratarp without an issue. We slid down far enough to the foot of the tarp to get our packs most of the way under the shelter and used the packs as a make shift door/wind and rain block. I put my packs rain cover on when doing this and have yet to get me or my gear wet. Do pay attention to wind direction though, blowing rain from the wrong direction can spell trouble. If you're bringing more gear than you can each fit in your respective packs, long hunting trips for example, you'll have to leave something out in the elements. Whether that is gear or your hunting partner is your choice

Or the Supertarp pictured above weighs just 4.2 ounces more (17.6oz) if you want or need a little more elbow room (and a bit lighter wallet).

But hey, were forgetting the ultimate reason for a tarp... you no longer have to actually get up to pee in the middle of the night!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Of all the shelters and improvised shelter material I've used, my favorite is the Marine issue tarp. For admin or fun purposes I'll grab one of my MSR sili-nylon tarps, but for hands-down bomb-proof, 4-season survivability, a MARPAT tarp and heavy duty space blanket is my go to. You can also make a great litter with it.

635506202203590009-00MARPAT01.jpg

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tortuga View Post
    Of all the shelters and improvised shelter material I've used, my favorite is the Marine issue tarp. For admin or fun purposes I'll grab one of my MSR sili-nylon tarps, but for hands-down bomb-proof, 4-season survivability, a MARPAT tarp and heavy duty space blanket is my go to. You can also make a great litter with it.

635506202203590009-00MARPAT01.jpg
    Where can we buy one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Looks like Coleman's Military Surplus has some, as does someone on Amazon and there's a few on eBay. A couple of blogs report there is a plethora of them in the surplus world.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tortuga View Post
    Looks like Coleman's Military Surplus has some, as does someone on Amazon and there's a few on eBay. A couple of blogs report there is a plethora of them in the surplus world.
    Thank You.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast