Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: remington or mossberg

Feedback Score
    well i was really leaning toward the 590A1 until reading this last post. Thank you for all the info I have a decision to make I guess the 870 would definitely be the better choice. Maybe an 870 Tactical? I don't know what I will do, I really liked the idea of having 9 00 rounds ready to go.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by padwan View Post
    If you are right handed, I'd recommend the 870. Worked with the 590 on an Awerbuck class and had the safety button seize on Day 2. Round count was modest at that time. I think I had about ~400 rounds of birdshot through the gun.

Awerbuck mentioned he sees this problem with the Mossbergs in his classes.

Am not sure if the new 870 keylock trigger groups will have similar issues but if your Express doesn't have the keylock, I would not worry much.

As usual YMMV.
    To clarify, this is the 590, not the 590A1, correct?
    Death hangs over thee: whilst yet thou livest, whilst thou mayest, be good.

Feedback Score
    I think you'll be fine with the 870, but I'd take a 590 over one any day. My 590 has been eating everything I feed it since 1993. I never learned to appreciate its dual extractors until I started using 870s for work a few years ago. Now I know how to slam the butt of an 870 on the ground while racking the action. Sometimes (too often) it's the only way to get the 870 to extract a shell.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by m24shooter View Post
    To clarify, this is the 590, not the 590A1, correct?
    I am unsure of the differences between both models, but the one I used had the parkerized finish, synthetic furniture, full length magazine tube, bayonet lug and factory ghost ring sights. The barrel was also thicker than those that came on the 500's I've shot before.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The 590A1 has a metal safety button, heavier barrel, and metal trigger guard.
    The 590 has a thinner barrel (usually, although I think the heavy barrel can be on some of them as with the 500A or M) and plastic safety button and trigger group.
    The problem you describe is common with the 590 (or at least not unheard of). That's why I was curious about which variant you were shooting.
    Death hangs over thee: whilst yet thou livest, whilst thou mayest, be good.

Feedback Score
    I'd stick to an 870 Police Magnum if I were you. I'll leave it at that.

Feedback Score
    I have th 870 tactical and i love it. I run with the mossbergs at work because thats what they issue us. I must say hands down 870.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    We have 150+ Mossberg 500s and 590s in our program. I have seen the safety issue described on one occasion.
    Everything breaks, or fails. I've seen broken extractors and missing shell stops on 870s.

I prefer the 590a1 in particular, and the Mossbergs in general, as they are easier to work on and detail strip and clean.
    I also like that the safety is ambi, and there is no shell lifter in the way when loading the magazine.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I just can't resist a Mossy vs Remmy thread. I know, I am sick. Ford vs Chevy threads are fun also.

To start off with, to the OP, when you ask a question like this what you mostly get is personal opinion from people that own one or the other. And guess what? The one they own is the best! But does that make it right for you?

I have owned both at the same time - an 18.5" 870 and a 20" M590A1. They both work, and they are both reliable. Yes, the 870 Police is smoother out of the box, but both the 870 Express and Mossbergs will smooth out the more you shoot them. No big deal IMO.

My observations from shooting both: As others have said, I (notice I didn't say you) prefer the position of the safety and slide release on the Mossberg. I also prefer the dual extractors of the Mossberg, and the shell lifter that doesn't get in the way during a stressed reload.

The M590A1 is built like a tank, but, to me, is noticably heavier than a regular 590 (non M590A1). The plastic safety on the regular 590 doesn't bother me as I would immediately replace it anyway with a metal one as the plastic ones known to break. But I also replaced the safety on my 870 with a Vang Big Dome.

And the plastic trigger guard on the regular 590 doesn't bother me at all as I have yet to hear of one breaking. If I carry a plastic pistol (S&W M&P), why should a plastic trigger guard bother me?

As M24 pointed out, yes, Mossberg uses an aluminum receiver, but so does my N4 Carbine. This doesn't concern me in the least.

Bottom line for me: I sold the M590A1 because it was too long and too heavy. But perfect for me would be a regular 590 (no heavy barrel) in 18.5". I still have the 870 but it will most likely be sold to fund the purchase of a Mossberg 930SPX autoloader.

My advice to you is to try out all guns that you are considering. Shoot them if you can, but handle them at an absolute minimum, paying particular attention to how they fit you when you shoulder them and the position of the the safety and slide release. Only you can decide what is best for you. But either will work.

Feedback Score
    For me its a no brainer - Mossberg 590A1. They're equally tough and durable but in a stressful situation sliding the safety forward feels almost natural vs trying to remember whether to push remmys crossbolt safety to the right or left.
    X-Military
    Glock Armorer

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast