Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sig MCX Virtus / Rattler

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Sig MCX Virtus / Rattler

The other MCX Thread was getting long and covered all the generations of the MCX. How are the guys that have the Virtus/Rattlers liking those newer generations of the SIG? I've been Looking at the Virtus Pistol in 300BLk to convert to SBR later.

Feedback Score
    The MCX rattler .300 blackout (AK wanna-be) has a 5.5" inch barrel, with maybe 4" of actual bore for an already slow moving round. I personally wouldn't see the advantages of that particular round given it's neutered ballistics when shooting from such a short barrel length. I say this owning Krinkov AK's that have 8.5" barrels but all mine are in 5.56 and 5.45. The 5.56 Krinkov falls to 2380 FPS with 55gr yielding 691 ft/lbs energy. While the 5.45x39 Krinkov falls to 2411FPS with 53gr bullets yielding 684 ft/lbs of energy. However using heavier bullets for the 5.56 or shooting non velocity dependent rounds like 7n6- closes that gap in performance for both Krinkov rifles versus a full sized 16" rifle.

For your particular application, calculating a 38% drop in muzzle velocity (using 7.62x39 overlapped muzzle velocity drops per inch) going to that barrel length over a 16"- would reduce velocity of a 125gr round from 2200 FPS to 1364 FPS out of a 5.5" barrel. I believe however the actual FPS would be much lower for that particular round but am limited to just charts using known barrel lengths and avg reductions. Anyway, that barrel given the parameters of what I have available to look at would yield muzzle energy of only 495 ft/lbs, however it's likely far less. Overall, it's ballistically an oversized handgun with a rifle sized magazine and profile.

To put it simply, a 45 acp 1911 running 230gr +P's yields roughly 510 ft/lbs of energy- which is more energy than what that .300 Blackout MCX Rattler yields.

7n6
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 03-28-18 at 15:11.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    The SIG MCX MPX line is WAAAY over priced IMHO. They also do not tend to be accurate.

C4

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 7n6 View Post
    The MCX rattler .300 blackout (AK wanna-be) has a 5.5" inch barrel, with maybe 4" of actual bore for an already slow moving round. I personally wouldn't see the advantages of that particular round given it's neutered ballistics when shooting from such a short barrel length. I say this owning Krinkov AK's that have 8.5" barrels but all mine are in 5.56 and 5.45. The 5.56 Krinkov falls to 2380 FPS with 55gr yielding 691 ft/lbs energy. While the 5.45x39 Krinkov falls to 2411FPS with 53gr bullets yielding 684 ft/lbs of energy. However using heavier bullets for the 5.56 or shooting non velocity dependent rounds like 7n6- closes that gap in performance for both Krinkov rifles versus a full sized 16" rifle.

For your particular application, calculating a 38% drop in muzzle velocity (using 7.62x39 overlapped muzzle velocity drops per inch) going to that barrel length over a 16"- would reduce velocity of a 125gr round from 2200 FPS to 1364 FPS out of a 5.5" barrel. I believe however the actual FPS would be much lower for that particular round but am limited to just charts using known barrel lengths and avg reductions. Anyway, that barrel given the parameters of what I have available to look at would yield muzzle energy of only 495 ft/lbs, however it's likely far less. Overall, it's ballistically an oversized handgun with a rifle sized magazine and profile.

To put it simply, a 45 acp 1911 running 230gr +P's yields roughly 510 ft/lbs of energy- which is more energy than what that .300 Blackout MCX Rattler yields.

7n6
    I'm not a blackout fan boy or anything, but it should be 1700 or so from that barrel with 110gr supers, yielding around 700 in muzzle energy ballpark.

Blackout, has a wide sweep for it's capacity and doesn't lose as much velocity in short barrels as other rounds do.

I've shot a rattler at a recent local event. It was crazy fun with subs.

I'll stick with my ARs in 5.56 for now though.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    The SIG MCX MPX line is WAAAY over priced IMHO. They also do not tend to be accurate.

C4
    Huh? This was a rattler shot at 300 yards.

I have not heard of any accuracy complaints from the Virtus or Rattler lines with their heavier barrels.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Really digging mine.

The Duo-Match trigger is good, love the modularity, weapon is extremely ergomonic and almost fully ambidextrous. Adjustable gas, built in sling mount points, swappable barrels.

The only thing left to be seen is reliability and accuracy. Only got a couple hundred rounds downrange, so will have to see how it performs over extended use.

20180313_195642.jpg
    Last edited by Kchen986; 03-28-18 at 17:44.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    Owning or having a certain by-name or by-brand weapon doesn't make one a trained assaulter.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ski View Post
    Huh? This was a rattler shot at 300 yards.

I have not heard of any accuracy complaints from the Virtus or Rattler lines with their heavier barrels.
    I think it is hit and miss. Looks like you got a good one!

C4

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I think the Rattler was more a mp5 SD replacement than an AK replacement.. The Rattler has a 5.5 inch and the Virtus has a 9 inch, and I think there is a 6.75 inch barrel as well. I have not put my hands on any of the models except for the old 1st gen MCX and I have been waiting till the bugs have been worked out before I dug into my research into them more.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I handled what I think was the Virtus (longer one) and I really, really liked it. I just can't trust Sig right now 100% yet. Hence why I haven't pulled the trigger on a damn 365.

For what I was looking to do with a 300blk pistol or SBR the virtus had it all right out of the box, I am just leery about them. YMMV.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    The latest MCX Virtus version's with the heavier barrels along with the faster barrel twist rates for the 9" inch and under .300 Blackout barrels seem to have taken care of any accuracy issues with the earlier MCX model barrels opening up *some* (don't they all) when they get hot. My sample of one shoots fine hot or cold. Are they over priced? Yeah, probably by about $150., IMHO. But in comparison, to some people, SCAR's, H&K's, KAC's, Wilson Combat pistols, are also somewhat overpriced, although they do have a longer proven track record. I will be adding a direct mount dedicated Omega 300 can to mine along with the new SB Tactical SBA3 FDE brace to my pistol variant when they come out, because the length of pull is currently a little long. Also, I might replace the TLR1 HL light with the smaller and lighter TLR-7. Personally, with some of the current and future pistol braces coming out I see no need to SBR mine, and would prefer to stay more off the radar of those trying to retrict my second admendment rights in the future. I agree with the point WickedWillis makes above with Sig and longterm support, they always seem to have a lot of projects going on and sometimes they drop them and move on to the next one before they totally refine and finish them. I guess I will see on that, although with the current and future political gun climate, I am pretty confident I could make a nice profit on mine should I decide to dump it sometime in the future. Also FYI , Magpul and Lancer are making tweeked dedicated mags for the .300 blackout and they are available now. The link below has some more info on the MCX .

https://www.tactical-life.com/firear...sig-sauer-mcx/

Last edited by Biggy; 04-02-18 at 19:21.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast