Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: FN-15 What's the consensus? new Roll Mark

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer_Man View Post
    If I were in the market for an off the shelf AR, I’d take a hard look at a new FN. Their quality these days seems top notch. Their M16A4 and M4A1 collector’s edition catches my eye every time I see one.
    Same. But with the m16 only. ****ers sexy!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The fact is nobody knows. It could be virtually identical to the rifles they're delivering to government buyers, it could be the rejects from those contracts, or it could just be a subbed out glorified PSA for double the price. Or it could be all of the above and everything in between, and change rifle to rifle. What's most likely is that they use whatever parts are most convenient at the time. If they have an overrun of full spec parts, they would use those. If they have a run of parts that wasn't quite up to spec for a contract, they would probably use them instead. If they didn't just happen to have extra in house parts they would likely go to someone like Microbest.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleW View Post
    Here’s the thing, the commercial FN guns are not made to the TDP like the Colt 6920’s. They’re fine, but the quality is not the same. I also understand them to be batch MP/HP tested instead of individual. I have an FN-15 rifle & it has been a great gun. I did replace the BCG with a spare Colt because FN’s gas key staking was shit, but otherwise it’s been a fine gun. I would not buy one over a Colt or BCM though unless you’re getting a really good deal. I’ll add that I only bought my FN, because at the time, I add an itch for an A4 & the Colts were sold out.
    That's really bad. For one thing, no staking is highly desirable over anything but 100% stellar, textbook staking. Staking is one of those things that doesn't help much, but can really screw things up bad if not executed perfectly.

And as visible as it is, and as much as people obsess over it, it's a REALLY REALLY bad sign that they apparently don't give a shit about it. If there's one thing that any manufacturer at any price point is going to try to at least make it look right, it's gas key staking. You could have the most top tier AR possible and get the staking wrong, and it's like taking a hundred dollar fillet and pouring best value steak sauce on it. Might as well just give it to the dog.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer_Man View Post
    Their M16A4 and M4A1 collector’s edition catches my eye every time I see one.
    They are cool looking. I keep wanting the M4a1 even though have have a few carbines that are pretty much there already.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    They are cool looking. I keep wanting the M4a1 even though have have a few carbines that are pretty much there already.
    I’m in the same boat. I already have a basic M4 finished, and another one in the works. It would be nice to at least one factory gun though.

Quote Originally Posted by robbins290 View Post
    Same. But with the m16 only. ****ers sexy!
    20” guns are just sexy period.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    That's really bad. For one thing, no staking is highly desirable over anything but 100% stellar, textbook staking. Staking is one of those things that doesn't help much, but can really screw things up bad if not executed perfectly.

And as visible as it is, and as much as people obsess over it, it's a REALLY REALLY bad sign that they apparently don't give a shit about it. If there's one thing that any manufacturer at any price point is going to try to at least make it look right, it's gas key staking. You could have the most top tier AR possible and get the staking wrong, and it's like taking a hundred dollar fillet and pouring best value steak sauce on it. Might as well just give it to the dog.
    I’ll caveat my original post by saying I have since picked up one of their M-16 clones and the staking on that gas key was perfect. No complaints and the rifle shoots as expected. The finish on newer FN rifles seems more robust & less glossy. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy one, but I do believe there are better/equal choices for the money.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleW View Post
    I’ll caveat my original post by saying I have since picked up one of their M-16 clones and the staking on that gas key was perfect. No complaints and the rifle shoots as expected. The finish on newer FN rifles seems more robust & less glossy. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy one, but I do believe there are better/equal choices for the money.
    That's pretty typical of commercial ARs. The quality of any given part is a lottery. It's like with the CR series, most are reporting a mixed bag of in house and subbed out parts, and rarely someone will get one that's all in house just like the good old days. Just pure luck of the draw.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    The fact is nobody knows. It could be virtually identical to the rifles they're delivering to government buyers, it could be the rejects from those contracts, or it could just be a subbed out glorified PSA for double the price. Or it could be all of the above and everything in between, and change rifle to rifle. What's most likely is that they use whatever parts are most convenient at the time. If they have an overrun of full spec parts, they would use those. If they have a run of parts that wasn't quite up to spec for a contract, they would probably use them instead. If they didn't just happen to have extra in house parts they would likely go to someone like Microbest.
    How many FN clone rifles have you bought and inspected to support your comments on them possibly throwing in gov reject or PSA parts?

That’s a lot of “probably” with no evidence given to back it up.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
    How many FN clone rifles have you bought and inspected to support your comments on them possibly throwing in gov reject or PSA parts?

That’s a lot of “probably” with no evidence given to back it up.
    Exactly what I was thinking when I read that post, Same could be said about colt assembly's. I highly doubt all colts are build to the precious TDP. Both of my FN's seem pretty great, Staking was good and castle nut was staked. and they were cheaper then the colt CR series.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I would buy the military replica with knights rail in a heart beat. Had one at a LGS for around $1,300 and it took extreme will power to NOT buy it.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast