Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: FN-15 What's the consensus? new Roll Mark

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I would buy the military replica with knights rail in a heart beat. Had one at a LGS for around $1,300 and it took extreme will power to NOT buy it.

PB
    Just imagine what one would look like sitting in your safe with an ACOG, or T2 mounted to it

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by robbins290 View Post
    Exactly what I was thinking when I read that post, Same could be said about colt assembly's. I highly doubt all colts are build to the precious TDP. Both of my FN's seem pretty great, Staking was good and castle nut was staked. and they were cheaper then the colt CR series.
    If you had read my posts you would know I said exactly that.

Quote Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
    How many FN clone rifles have you bought and inspected to support your comments on them possibly throwing in gov reject or PSA parts?

That’s a lot of “probably” with no evidence given to back it up.
    If you had any idea how the industry actually works you would know how irrelevant that is. And as I said, nobody knows, and anyone who claims to know is either lying or relaying already outdated information. Subcontracts are always privileged information, and nobody is going to risk losing a contract or finding themselves in court just to satisfy some internet person's curiosity. In very rare instances, the manufacturer might disclose a subcontractor, but only in cases where the subcontractor has more street cred than the manufacturer (as in the case of PSA and Microbest). The vast majority of the time it's the other way around, where the manufacturer is using their roll mark to give street cred to undisclosed, cheaply made subcontracted parts. If they did use subcontracted parts, they're not going to tell you, and certainly not going to disclose who. Of that you can be sure.

Moreover, you can't tell anything simply by looking. Obviously there are poverty tier guns out there with nice fit and finish, and even the most astute person can't really tell without doing a lot of expensive batch testing. So again, the only claim I'm really making is that nobody has any clue, and that is an incontrovertible fact. What's also a fact, though, is that FN's commercial offerings can't be akin to their contract offerings in the same way that an LE6920 is a semi auto M4. They have to use the TDP for military contracts, and legally they cannot use the TDP for their commercial lines. So you're by definition either dealing with in house parts made to a different spec, or subcontracted parts, or a mixture of both. Or possibly also parts destined to be contract that didn't quite live up to TDP standards. But this whole "they're the same as the guns delivered to the military" line is complete and utter bullshit. They might be great quality based on FN's own internal QC standards, or they might be nothing but an overpriced roll mark, or (and this is the most likely probability) they vary drastically rifle to rifle. So get one, don't get one, I don't care, but people need to stop spreading bullshit claims that can't be backed up. They might be great, or they might be complete garbage. One thing that's probably for sure though is that they're drastically overpriced for what they are.

P.S. And I also never suggested they were using PSA parts. What I'm saying is nobody has any way of knowing what subcontractors, if any, they might be using at any given time, meaning you could very well be getting a glorified PSA with a fancy roll mark. That is, the parts could all hypothetically be the same grade from the same subcontractor. Hell, they could even be from the same runs. Like literally you could hypothetically take two ARs, one a PSA and one a fancy roll mark, and have the BCGs in both of them come from the same sub and the same run.
    Last edited by okie; 08-09-22 at 15:42.

Feedback Score
    I've had my FN Military Collector Carbine for a little over a month. I think it's a bit different than the commercial FN15.
    Why else would it cost 500 or 600 more! Never a hiccup, very accurate handy firearm!
    Very happy with it! I especially like the Knights Armament with vertical grip.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Appleseed View Post
    I've had my FN Military Collector Carbine for a little over a month. I think it's a bit different than the commercial FN15.
    Why else would it cost 500 or 600 more! Never a hiccup, very accurate handy firearm!
    Very happy with it! I especially like the Knights Armament with vertical grip.
    I agree. I have the M-16A4 clone from them set up as one of my go to rifles with a Geissele SD-C trigger, USMC marked KAC rear sight and Comp M4S.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    I would be higher on the military collector models if they used their chf b-11595e barrels, but no they’re using a button rifled 4140 barrel instead. Seems like a huge letdown especially for the price tag.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VIP3R 237 View Post
    I would be higher on the military collector models if they used their chf b-11595e barrels, but no they’re using a button rifled 4140 barrel instead. Seems like a huge letdown especially for the price tag.
    I’m pretty sure they’re Mil-B-11595E 4150 chromoly steel, as all their button rifled commercial barrels are made from that material. Secondly, as this is a military tribute rifle, it only makes sense to use a button rifled barrel, as that is what Uncle Sam gets.
    Last edited by Hammer_Man; 08-09-22 at 19:49.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer_Man View Post
    I’m pretty sure they’re Mil-B-11595E 4150 chromoly steel, as all their button rifled commercial barrels are made from that material. Secondly, as this is a military tribute rifle, it only makes sense to use a button rifled barrel, as that is what Uncle Sam gets.
    I don’t see it listed anymore but on FN’s website they stated 4140 and it caused a commotion for a while. Maybe it’s now been changed?
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VIP3R 237 View Post
    I don’t see it listed anymore but on FN’s website they stated 4140 and it caused a commotion for a while. Maybe it’s now been changed?
    That’s interesting.. I can’t seem to find any information regarding that barrel to confirm or deny that claim. That certainly would be a bummer if it was in fact 4140 steel.

Feedback Score
    From FN’s site regarding their BB barrels…

“ FN AR*15 premium button rifled barrels are are manufactured using U.S. sourced Chrome Moly Venadium material per Mil-B-11595E. Each barrel is High Pressure Tested (HPT) and Magnetic Particle Inspected (MPI) to ensure that it is free of micro*stresses or flaws, resulting in consistency and quality in every barrel shipped from the factory. The bore and chamber are chrome lined to help resist corrosion and provide resistance to heat erosion which greatly improves barrel life and reliable chambering / extraction. The M4 style feed ramps and barrel extension provide consistent feeding and the matte black Manganese Phosphate finish resists external corrosion and oxidation. Currently available in a chambering of 5.56 x 45mm in the following profiles and gas system lengths 10.5" Government Carbine, 14.7" Government Midlength, 14.7" M4 Carbine, 16" M4 Carbine, 16" Government Carbine, 16" Government Midlength, 18" Government Rifle, 20" Government Rifle.”

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleW View Post
    From FN’s site regarding their BB barrels…

“ FN AR*15 premium button rifled barrels are are manufactured using U.S. sourced Chrome Moly Venadium material per Mil-B-11595E. Each barrel is High Pressure Tested (HPT) and Magnetic Particle Inspected (MPI) to ensure that it is free of micro*stresses or flaws, resulting in consistency and quality in every barrel shipped from the factory. The bore and chamber are chrome lined to help resist corrosion and provide resistance to heat erosion which greatly improves barrel life and reliable chambering / extraction. The M4 style feed ramps and barrel extension provide consistent feeding and the matte black Manganese Phosphate finish resists external corrosion and oxidation. Currently available in a chambering of 5.56 x 45mm in the following profiles and gas system lengths 10.5" Government Carbine, 14.7" Government Midlength, 14.7" M4 Carbine, 16" M4 Carbine, 16" Government Carbine, 16" Government Midlength, 18" Government Rifle, 20" Government Rifle.”
    I sent FN USA an email asking about the barrel steel used in their collector’s edition M4, if they answer I’ll post that information here.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast