Thread: Receiver extension marks

Feedback Score

Receiver extension marks

I have this mil-spec receiver extension and noticed that it had some marks that appear to be only cosmetic. I am wondering if it is common/acceptable for a mil-spec buffer tube to have the marks shown in the picture below? Thanks

buffer tube colt.jpg

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by blehmbo View Post
    I have this mil-spec receiver extension and noticed that it had some marks that appear to be only cosmetic. I am wondering if it is common/acceptable for a mil-spec buffer tube to have the marks shown in the picture below? Thanks

buffer tube colt.jpg
    First thing I thought was: “What marks?” Then after stretching your pic out super zoomed in, I saw the faint marks.

What butt stock are you using on that tube?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I went tracking pixel hunting cause all these new accounts have been posting pics.

I saw finger prints and non-detrimental tooling marks.

Anywho, off to change my password anyways.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Leaveammoforme View Post
    I went tracking pixel hunting cause all these new accounts have been posting pics.

I saw finger prints and non-detrimental tooling marks.
    Thanks for posting that image, it shows the contrast of the markings well.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    First thing I thought was: “What marks?” Then after stretching your pic out super zoomed in, I saw the faint marks.

What butt stock are you using on that tube?

The buffer tube was purchased as new and has not yet a stock installed.

I am pretty sure the marks are only cosmetic, I am just wondering if it is common for mil-spec receiver extensions to come with these types of tooling marks
    Last edited by blehmbo; 03-31-18 at 03:42.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by blehmbo View Post
    The buffer tube was purchased as new and has not yet a stock installed.

I am pretty sure the marks are only cosmetic, I am just wondering if it is common for mil-spec receiver extensions to come with these types of tooling marks
    I’ve handled quite a few buffer tubes, primarily A5 tubes mostly Vltor, Magpul and BCM and I do not recall seeing any blemishes on the tubes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    To be honest, I don't think I've ever looked or cared.. If I did and saw something like that, I still wouldn't care. YMMV

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Common. Hmmm. Depends on the manufacturer. I see the title says Colt. Part of it looks like Colt, part does not. Looks like it works. The tell tale, in my opinion, of buffer tubes is if you can see welding marks deep inside the tube. Sign of cheap Chinese replica.