Thread: 2 Set Styles May Build Muscle In Less Time

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

2 Set Styles May Build Muscle In Less Time

Guest article on BrinkZone is by Dr. Carl Juneau, called "How 2 Set Styles May Build Muscle In Half The Time" discusses two possible methods of training that may be more time efficient for increasing muscle mass:

How many sets do you do when you work out to build muscle? When you bench press? When you squat? 3 sets, right?

For most people, 3 sets seem just right. 2 sets… you’re leaving too much in the bank. 4 sets… it’s hard work. But 3 sets! Boom!

The problem with 3 sets is that they take a long time to do. If you take 1, 2, or even 3 minutes of rest between sets, you’ll spend up to 10 minutes training just one exercise. When you add up your other muscles groups, you can easily spend an hour and a half in the gym. Many guys do.

But what if I told you there’s a better way? 2 ways, actually! Ways to do your sets that let you build just as much (or more) muscle… in about half the time? Yeah! That’s right. These set styles build muscle in half the time because each set is the equivalent of about 3 normal sets. I’m talking about drop sets and rest-pause sets.

Let’s look at what the science says:

cont:

http://www.brinkzone.com/articles/ho...half-the-time/
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Loved the read Will!

I know we are all busy so this sounds like a great way to maximize time in the gym. I just don’t have 3 hours to kill anymore like I did in college!

What do you think about using this methodology in a DUP type format? Reason I ask is I still like to train strength and hypertrophy isn’t really my main goal right now.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The rest/pause thing is interesting. I started working out that way a couple of years ago simply to save time. I'm glad to see there is actually some scientific research to back it up...
    Wil
    See how easy life can be?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    Loved the read Will!

I know we are all busy so this sounds like a great way to maximize time in the gym. I just don’t have 3 hours to kill anymore like I did in college!

What do you think about using this methodology in a DUP type format? Reason I ask is I still like to train strength and hypertrophy isn’t really my main goal right now.
    I'd say worth a try and see what type of results you get. That was comes under requires experimentation I'd say. Strength and hypertrophy is not my main focus these days either. Longevity, general physical abilities, making sure my chit don't hurt, etc is my focus. I'm not working much with 80% 1RM these days (which is appox 6RM), but on those occasions I do, will employ the drop set style he outlined. Don't back squat these days either. My days of 500lbs squats and deads, are long gone.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    I've been doing a 6-week program:

First 2 weeks......4 sets (I do 5, first 4 must meet rep requirements though) of 10 reps, 60% 1RM, 60 seconds between sets.

Second 2 weeks......4 sets (same 5 total sets but goal is meeting reps on 4) of 8 reps, 70% 1RM, 75 seconds between sets.

Third 2 weeks......5 sets of 5 (must meet reps on all 5) with 80% of 1RM, 90 seconds between sets.

Then you add a few pounds to your 1RM, recalculate your working weight percentages, and start over again.

I might use the rest-pause as a "filler week" in-between each 6 week evolution.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    I've been doing something different, but similar in a way. I was working out 2 hrs a day for 4-5 days a week, and my CNS was overloaded. I started the very simple and low set/rep Wendler 531 program which has cut my workouts down to an hour. Interesting how lower reps and sets can still equal more gains.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Link wasn't working for me.

3 sets is not enough per exercise IMHO.

My typical sets is usually 4 per exercise. For example, I either do 1 set of warm-up(15-20reps lightweight), then 3 sets of progressively heavier weights while lowering reps (15-12-8 reps).
    Or I can do 3 normal sets of progressively heavier weights, then a dropset.

Of course, The total workout time depends on how long your rest periods are, how many sets you do, and how busy the gym is. My typical workout is 1-1.5hrs

A 2-set routine would be good, granted you do enough reps. Not sure if that's what you meant since I was not able to open your link.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JusticeM4 View Post
    Link wasn't working for me.

3 sets is not enough per exercise IMHO.

My typical sets is usually 4 per exercise. For example, I either do 1 set of warm-up(15-20reps lightweight), then 3 sets of progressively heavier weights while lowering reps (15-12-8 reps).
    Or I can do 3 normal sets of progressively heavier weights, then a dropset.

Of course, The total workout time depends on how long your rest periods are, how many sets you do, and how busy the gym is. My typical workout is 1-1.5hrs

A 2-set routine would be good, granted you do enough reps. Not sure if that's what you meant since I was not able to open your link.
    Link working fine for me.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    Indeed an interesting read. Thanks for sharing.