Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should I buy a Stag?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Should I buy a Stag?

In the market for another AR, I'm consider myself seasoned in the AR world, and completely understand the ''just buy a Colt'' mentality, as I usually personally echo the same sentiment.

Anyway, Colts are going for around a grand right now, and I would like to snag a shooter for a bit less. I see the Stags are selling for around 650$ right now( That's what I bought my trooper for 6 months ago ) So for the Price of a naked spikes, bcm, colt, etc, I could have a stag with an Optic.

So the main thing I see as a negative with stag is they don't have M4 feed ramps, and I am not sure what kind of metal their bolts are made of.
    The barrels and receivers sound like they are made of good spec, although also not sure about the gas port.
    This gun would be more of a beater, but I am not interested in guns like the M&P, would this stag be a good upgrade from an M&P, maybe somewhere between Colt and Aero?

Thank you in advance for any replies. I have been searching threads for days, but haven't found much technical data. I also trust the opinions of members here more so than other forums.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Have you considered Windham Weaponry? I own both a Stag Retro 15 and a Windham Weapomry HBC (Heavy barrel classic carbine with detachable carry handle). I got both of them for just over $600 new. I’d say the Windham is of higher quality. The finish is much better, the parts seems higher quality, the fit is pretty similar. If I had the same amount to spend i’d buy a Windham. Looks like as of now you can buy a Windham MPC (gov profile barrel) for $770. Both have lifetime transferable warranties which I think is great.

Both rifles function fine, i’ve had no issues with either. 210 rnds through the windham and just one mag through the Stag. As far as M4 feed ramps goes, my Stag had them, before I swapped the upper receiver to an A2 style.

I don’t think you can go wrong either way though.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    What parts specifically are better on the windham?
    I will start looking at their options, and try to do more research on the specs. For anything around 800 or over, I kind of feel like I should just pony up a little more cash and get a colt.. But for the 650$ price point I am intruiged.

Edit: looks like the bolt and barrel on the windham are GTG. I like that they advertise those specs, where as stag doesn't list their bolt material.
    Last edited by 5.56 Bonded SP; 04-02-18 at 23:32.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Should I buy a Stag?

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56 Bonded SP View Post
    What parts specifically are better on the windham?
    I will start looking at their options, and try to do more research on the specs. For anything around 800 or over, I kind of feel like I should just pony up a little more cash and get a colt.. But for the 650$ price point I am intruiged.

Edit: looks like the bolt and barrel on the windham are GTG. I like that they advertise those specs, where as stag doesn't list their bolt material.
    The differences weren’t huge, but what I noticed;

-Windhams barrel/front sight post has a coating that I would describe as a sort of thick enamel of some sort. It seems more durabel/rugged. If you’ve ever seen a ruger AR556 the front sight post isn’t like this.

-Windhams pistol grip is higher quality, the Stags looks and feels cheaper

-Windhams take down pins are smooth, not loose, not very tight, just right. Stags were much tighter

These are just the things that come to mind. If you don’t mind the heavy barrel (not that bad on the 16”) then the HBC may be cheaper to pick up. I got mine for $636 out the door. The differences as I mentioned were not that significant, but when I compare the two I really feel as though I would pay more for a Windham.

I can tell you that my overall impressions between the two rifles were enough for me to buy a Windham AR10 (absolute blast to own).

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    So after doing more research, the biggest negatives I see about the stag is supposedly the receiver extension is 6061( staked castle nut ), and the bolt is not HP tested( but it is MP tested and 158 steel ), and no M4 feed ramps.

I might grab the Stag and just replace the RE at some point if that is really the worst part about it, all the other parts sound pretty good. 40 bucks to replace the buffer tube doesn't sound like a bad price to pay for a 600 dollar AR in this market.
    Anyone else want to chime in on what they think about Stag?

I also like that they don't have a sear block in the receiver.

Sounds like a good truck gun?

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by theM90NP View Post
    Have you considered Windham Weaponry? I own both a Stag Retro 15 and a Windham Weapomry HBC (Heavy barrel classic carbine with detachable carry handle). I got both of them for just over $600 new. I’d say the Windham is of higher quality. The finish is much better, the parts seems higher quality, the fit is pretty similar. If I had the same amount to spend i’d buy a Windham. Looks like as of now you can buy a Windham MPC (gov profile barrel) for $770. Both have lifetime transferable warranties which I think is great.

Both rifles function fine, i’ve had no issues with either. 210 rnds through the windham and just one mag through the Stag. As far as M4 feed ramps goes, my Stag had them, before I swapped the upper receiver to an A2 style.
    Those round counts are entirely too low to base recommendations off of, especially considering the brands.

OP, Mrgunsngear just posted a video about a Stag 15 and he had positive things to say. I have no experience with any budget gun, but my buddy has a complete Aero that has worked fine for about 500 rounds, once he worked through what I think was a small burr in the FCG. No idea how Aero compares to Stag nowadays. Every now and then I get tempted by a budget rifle because some of them really seem to work fine, but I know that I'd never be truly happy with it, given that I could afford nicer if I just saved a little longer. YMMV.

Like you said, RE is an easy fix and there are those that try to avoid HP testing because of the stress incurred (Centurion Arms comes to mind). The feed ramps would be my biggest concern but I would guess that it wouldn't be an issue, at least depending on the mags you use. The M3 PMAGS seat the rounds higher so they feed at less of an angle, maybe negating the need for M4 ramps?
    Last edited by Wake27; 04-03-18 at 00:53.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Those round counts are entirely too low to base recommendations off of, especially considering the brands.

OP, Mrgunsngear just posted a video about a Stag 15 and he had positive things to say. I have no experience with any budget gun, but my buddy has a complete Aero that has worked fine for about 500 rounds, once he worked through what I think was a small burr in the FCG. No idea how Aero compares to Stag nowadays. Every now and then I get tempted by a budget rifle because some of them really seem to work fine, but I know that I'd never be truly happy with it, given that I could afford nicer if I just saved a little longer. YMMV.

Like you said, RE is an easy fix and there are those that try to avoid HP testing because of the stress incurred (Centurion Arms comes to mind). The feed ramps would be my biggest concern but I would guess that it wouldn't be an issue, at least depending on the mags you use. The M3 PMAGS seat the rounds higher so they feed at less of an angle, maybe negating the need for M4 ramps?
    I had an Aero upper, and it was pretty decent( zero malfunctions for a around 1000 rounds that I owned it), had a BA barrel, and shot submoa with handloads. From specs alone, the stag sounds like it is better, with the chrome lining and bcg ( I prefer chrome to nitride ). Stags parent company is CMT, whom makes parts for military contracts ( IIRC pumping out thousands of internal parts daily for mil contracts in the 70's era ).

The RE isn't a big concern of mine, very easy and cheap to replace. I don't believe M4 feed ramps are needed, but a good feature for select fire to improve reliability, I believe they are only included on the carbine lengths and not rifle lengths from colt, but now all flat tops come with m4 feed ramps? ( correct me if I am mistaken )?.
    I mainly use Lancer mags, and Pmags, so I highly doubt this would be an issue. I haven't read any actual negative reports on the stag yet.

Sounds like the only real downside is the RE, which is an easy upgrade. Even if I upgraded to a fancy RE, I would still be able to buy an optic with the money saved. The guts of the stag ( BCG and barrel sound gtg. )

To summarize key points quoted from website
    -BCG
    Carrier is 8020 steel chrome lined, staked gas key, 158 bolt, M16 profile. ( you have to look at their individual BCG section to see detailed specs )
    -Barrel
    4150 cmv chrome lined 1/7
    -RE
    -Upper
    Forged 7075 T6 Aluminum with Type 3 Hard Coat Anodizing
    -Lower
    Forged and Mil-Spec 7075 T6 Aluminum with Type 3 Hard Coat Anodizing
    -Trigger
    Mil-Spec Single Stage Trigger with Enhanced Trigger Guard
    -Buffer
    H Buffer and Spring

and a flared magwel

This gun would be my beater, with a steady diet of cheap factory and reloaded ammo. I have other higher end guns, but this is sounding appealing for a beater right now, the specs on the stag sound better than ruger, s&w, aero, and PSA.
    Last edited by 5.56 Bonded SP; 04-03-18 at 02:15.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    The market is flooded. If you can't find a good deal, you aren't looking. Windham Crapponry isn't a benchmark for quality. I would choose numerous rifles over a Stag Arms as well.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    The market is flooded. If you can't find a good deal, you aren't looking. Windham Crapponry isn't a benchmark for quality. I would choose numerous rifles over a Stag Arms as well.
    I'm not seeing Colt's for anything less than 900-1000$. I got my last one for under 700$, but the market seems to currently be driving prices upward.

What would you suggest for a complete rifle at the 650$ price mark that would be better than stag? Genuinely would like to know.

The stag sounds like a better buy than s&w, Ruger, PSA, and most other rifles at the same price point.

Yes I could save up more money, but if I could buy another solid rifle for a cheap price that would make me happy. I can get the stag with a free floated barrel for half the cost of what it would run me to free float a Colt right now.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Save your money or don't. There may be a temporary price spike, but the market has been in a freefall for a good 18 months. It's like the stock market or Bitcoin. If you wait until the wrong time, it is what it is.

There is nothing for 650.00 I would buy because they are usually garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56 Bonded SP View Post
    I'm not seeing Colt's for anything less than 900-1000$. I got my last one for under 700$, but the market seems to currently be driving prices upward.

What would you suggest for a complete rifle at the 650$ price mark that would be better than stag? Genuinely would like to know.

The stag sounds like a better buy than s&w, Ruger, PSA, and most other rifles at the same price point.

Yes I could save up more money, but if I could buy another solid rifle for a cheap price that would make me happy. I can get the stag with a free floated barrel for half the cost of what it would run me to free float a Colt right now.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast