Being "Off the grid" is usually discussed when talking about doomsday prepping and SHTF scenarios, but knowing that everything we do leaves a small footprint, is going off the grid even possible and could you do it without compromising your OPSEC?

I ask this because you cant even own a piece of land in the US without the transaction being public record. Your IP, location and internet usage is recorded, cellular call log and location is recorded, car ownership, insurance, registration is recorded. Even your ATM cash withdraws are recorded. I'm starting to think our smart phones do more than we realize without our consent- in fact, there are several conspiracies that deal with NSA listening and tracking software installed in each smartphone- that is yet to be determined.

There are stories of people "prepping" and trying to set up an "off the grid" safe house or bug out location only to compromise there OPSEC. A man paid cash for an old non-sea worthy sail boat in South Florida and kept it at a marina in the Keys that was owned by someone that lived out of country, yet within a month, the tax collector was sending registration forms to his home address? How does that happen? I was reading about a guy who got a ICOM HAM radio at a garage sale, used it a few times only listening to other people and the FCC had sent him demand letters to his home. He said it took 7 days from purchase to getting legal action threats and he was just listening. There are other stories like these that would make me believe that a persons OPSEC is just a fantasy.

Not too long ago, I was pulled over at night in my truck, which the sticker had expired, the police explained to me that he knew I had already inspected my car and paid for my new registration but was pulling me over anyway- he let me go but he did bring up something disturbing, he asked me why I didn't take a certain highway home to Dallas- it could save me 10-15 minutes, I was in Gordonville, 95 miles north of Dallas, I asked how he knew what route I took or didn't take and he explained to me that I was pulled over 6 years ago and was given a warning in a certain town, and pulled over 2 years ago in another town and given a warning and they have a algorithm that can predict certain routes traveled by people. He told me that "they" could tell that I am usually on highway 377 between 8pm and 12am on Sundays.- Kind of scary. Especially considering that Gordonville was my bug out location.

It just seems like in todays time, your OPSEC is compromised just because of technology, current laws, regulations and governing bodies.

I am asking if any of you can change my mind or change my way of thinking. Is there a way to go off the grid completely without compromising your OPSEC. Or, is there a way to live your life with the smallest footprint possible without compromising your comfort level and average standard way of living?