Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Some Thoughts on SHTF basics

Feedback Score

Some Thoughts on SHTF basics

I was just mulling in my mind some of the "common sense" considerations to always keep in practice if you're really planning to survive a major long-term disaster, war, or other upheaval that disrupts your normal existence more or less permanently.

This list is just my "Top Ten" so feel free to add yours:

Some thoughts on SHTF:

1. Pick a weapon you can shoot well.

Should be a no-brainer but a lot of people pick what they think has a lot of stopping power, holds lots of ammo, etc., without regard to whether or not they can hit the broad side of a barn with the darn thing.

2. Have spares of that weapon

I used to think having a lot of spare parts was the way to go, but unless you have experience actually repairing firearms, you may find you don't have the dexterity or don't have the tools to replace parts on your weapons. Plus, all the spare parts in the world won't repair a kaboom. It's better to have a few spare parts you can easily replace (like RSA's for example), and have spare weapons for catasrophic failures or things you just can't fix.

3. Have lots of magazines and ammo

You can never, I repeat, NEVER have too much of either. I'm not going to recommend a quantity of either because each person's needs and storage capabilities are different, but you should have several thousand rounds of ammo and over 100 magazines. Mags break and wear out. If 100 seems a lot, then buy what you are comfortable with.

4. Have optics you can use effectively, and, once again, have spares.

There's nothing like having one indestructible Aimpoint and on the first day of the Apocalypse it goes down for whatever reason. Employ one good, military grade optic and have spares of it. Get good with it. Sight it in perfectly and practice with it at different ranges. Have plenty of cleaning supplies for it.

5. Train at least sometimes with iron sights.

Despite the fact that you have a good quality optic that you are good with, and several spares, you may be far from those spares when your optic goes down. Have BUIS on your weapon and train with that, too.

6. Get some exercise with your gear.

There's nothing like having a reliable weapon with plenty of mags and ammo, all the tactical doodads, and a vest to carry all the extra stuff in--only to find you can't walk 50 feet with all of that without collapsing. If personal strength is a problem, work your way up to it. Carry as much as you can and exercise with it until you don't notice the weight. Add more equipment as you are able to carry it. Don't forget that "water" is part of your equipment, and it ain't lightweight.

7. Have boots that freaking fit and are comfortable.

Suppose the SHTF and you have to walk 60 miles to the next town. During wartime a lot of refugees only have their tootsies as their means of transportation and have to traverse long distances to escape the calamity or locate supplies, etc. Learn about foot care.

8. Have the mindset that you are going to survive.

If you are going to be the person who'd just as soon kill himself as to live amongst the ruins, then why are you spending all this money on goodies?

9. Have extra pairs of glasses if applicable.

Don't be like the guy in the Twilight Zone episode that breaks his only pair of glasses after the A-bombs go off. Get your prescription updated and get several pairs of glasses. Not knowing much about contacts, I suspect they would be a liability in primitive living conditions.

10. Try to stay fit and healthy without meds as much as possible.

I know this is impossible for some ailments, but if losing some weight might get you off the blood pressure or diabetes meds so much the better. You may not have access to them when the SHTF. My dad had some ailments that diet and exercise couldn't fix, so he always told me, "There's no point in me planning to live after the Apocalypse because I'm dead without my prescriptions." If you are in that boat, then you are unfortunately wasting your money planning to live after society collapses. The best you can plan for is a temporary interruption to your normal life.
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 09-07-18 at 15:04.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Good post. I really stress #10 with family and friends. Due to genetics I have had borderline high blood pressure and when I was younger it was not as big an issue as I was much more active. But now my doctor said at my age and given my family history wants to put me on meds. I resisted and said I would work to lower it myself so I got a few more months to do it as I do not want to be dependent on any medications.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    #2 is solved via the idiom "Two is one and one is none". With that said I'm a big proponent of keeping spare parts on hand and acquiring the knowledge to repair/replace accordingly. Firearms are mechanical devices and parts will simply where out. An inexpensive spring, pin, gas ring, et al. can render a $1K rifle into an expensive club.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    good post! but i would place #9 to number 1 for people who where glasses. I have a pair of glasses and contacts all over, my GHB, BOB, car, office, home, in the garage. I would combine 6 and ten together. fitness and health are one, if you are not in shape you will be an easy target.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by El_Chingon View Post
    good post! but i would place #9 to number 1 for people who where glasses. I have a pair of glasses and contacts all over, my GHB, BOB, car, office, home, in the garage. I would combine 6 and ten together. fitness and health are one, if you are not in shape you will be an easy target.
    Good point, because if you cannot see you are done. Most health insurance pays for new glasses either annually or every 2 years so go even if your prescription has not changed go in and get an additional pair. I have 4 pairs with one of the being prescription ANSI certified safety glasses.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    Good post. How about general first aid knowledge and some kit to go along with it?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by donlapalma View Post
    Good post. How about general first aid knowledge and some kit to go along with it?
    That was most likely going to be #11 on my list but I didn't want to hog the discussion. Here's an area where being alone is bad mojo. If you get hurt, most likely others are going to have to tend to your injuries. So #11 would have been "keep plenty of medical supplies and get some first aid knowledge" and #12 would have been "don't plan to survive the SHTF all by yourself."

I date a nurse. I'm confident she knows as much as most surgeons because she has a gazillion years of experience. I'm trying to play "catch up" with the medical knowledge and I'm overwhelmed.

WTF do you do if you have an infected tooth two years after you start living "The Road" movie?

Can you really perform surgery on yourself? Do you really know ANYONE who could so much as set a broken leg?

These are serious questions, and unfortunately, just like the old cliche with the cops "don't get pulled over" the sad truth of the Apocalypse is "don't get hurt."

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Yes
    Good information here
    Don’t get hurt, med kit and antibiotics and colloidal bandages
    I’d suggest in addition to comfortable boots you should consider a bug out bicycle if you have to go 60 miles
    Otoh
    Would it be better to have a second prepared bug out location closer?

Feedback Score
    What about batteries? I know you guys think your Aimpoints are going to run forever but shouldn't you consider a battery silicon-sealed in your buttstock or something like that?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    What about batteries? I know you guys think your Aimpoints are going to run forever but shouldn't you consider a battery silicon-sealed in your buttstock or something like that?
    This is why my girlfriend and I went "battery free" in our optics: We only use Trijicon ACOG's, Reflex Sights, and Meprolight optics now.

I wish we could find a way to go "battery free" on our weapons lights, but of course that's impossible as far as I know.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast