Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Advice on AR-15 Builds

Feedback Score

Talking Looking for Advice on AR-15 Builds

Hi all, if anyone knowledgeable would care to share their insight it'd be very much appreciated.

I currently have two AR15 builds in progress. One utilizes: Noveske Gen 1 upper/lower receivers, Noveske enhanced BCG, Geissele SSA trigger, BCM BFH ELW 16" barrel, and a BCM MCMR13 handguard. The second which is not yet finished, is a BCM upper/lower w/ a BCM BCG. The second build still needs a barrel and handguard. Both need to be relatively lightweight, as I have a significant shoulder issue.

Question 1: Should I go ahead with another BCM BFH 16-inch "enhanced lightweight" barrel, or is there a better choice that's almost the same in weight and profile?

Question 2: How are the Magpul PRO LR back up irons? Are they a good choice for a build that is intended to be "SHTF"-durable (which they are both meant to be)?

Question 3: The intention behind having two builds is for one to be almost purely CQB oriented with a red dot + magnified, and the other close to medium with a low power (probably 1-6x) variable. Within the context of the first question about pending barrel selection, which one should fulfill each role?

Question 4: Is the Vortex Razor HD Gen II-e 1-6x with the bullet drop reticle a good choice for a "bombproof" low power variable? I've seen military service members put them on their M16's, so I figure it's robust enough for a civilian.

Thank you in advance for any help

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    1. If you like it, I’ve only read of it as a good option. Are you set on a 16” barrel? I have a Ballistic Advantage 11.5” Hanson, which is like holding air, compared both to my BCM 12.5” Kino and PSA/FN 16” lightweight. In general, everyone here will tell you you can’t go wrong with BCM. I think there are other solid options, too, especially if you aren’t looking for precision work. I’m not saying the PSA/FN barrel is the same quality in every way, but it will get the job done just fine.

2. No idea. I see no reason to spend extra on metal sights when Magpul’s MBUS seem to hold up very well, if you will have a high quality optic. I would add that a standard front sight is a rock-solid option if you are looking for combat-capable, and always ready. I have a cheap red dot, plus fixed front sight and Daniel Defense rear sight on my “go to war” Kino. The optic is a crutch/enhancement, and if I the crutch breaks, I’m still in business. If I had an Aimpoint on there, I’d probably have stuck with an MBUS rear sight.

3. Question 1 doesn’t state your barrel length options, so this can’t be accurately answered. If you go with a shorter quality barrel on the second carbine, make that your CQB option. If you go with another 16” quality barrel with a heavier profile, make that your mid-range option. If you go with another lightweight 16”, do whatever puts a smile on your face.

4. No idea. I bought a really nice magnified optic, and my wife was displeased...so I no longer have any magnified optics. Someone else will have to step in on that...

Feedback Score
    215 (100%)
    Since you are using all BCM parts so far for the second ar, I would consider using the 16" BCM barrel and 13" MCMR on that build instead. Then I would choose a somewhat different setup for the Noveske parts and build from there.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    In regard to optics-

The Vortex is a tank, a reasonably good optic.
    It is pretty heavy and sort of defeats the desire for a super light barrel.
    I have found bullet drop reticles are seldom “on”. Most are engineered for m193/m855, 5.56 pressure ammo.
    If torso sized targets are the game, I’m sure that would work.
    Having no idea of your requirements of the carbine, recommending optics is difficult.

I’ve had good luck with the Hanson profile BA barrels as well.
    Most have been MOA with 77 gr. OTM.

Feedback Score

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post

3. Question 1 doesn’t state your barrel length options, so this can’t be accurately answered. If you go with a shorter quality barrel on the second carbine, make that your CQB option. If you go with another 16” quality barrel with a heavier profile, make that your mid-range option. If you go with another lightweight 16”, do whatever puts a smile on your face.
    Sorry. Yes I am set on a 16" barrel since I do not live in a state that will really allow me to go shorter.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kestrel452 View Post
    Question 4: Is the Vortex Razor HD Gen II-e 1-6x with the bullet drop reticle a good choice for a "bombproof" low power variable? I've seen military service members put them on their M16's, so I figure it's robust enough for a civilian.

The Vortex Razor is absolutely a rugged optic. However, they are decievingly heavy, and I'm not even the kind of guy that worries about a little weight on my guns. The eye box on 1x is big, and using a shot timer, putting rounds on target with the Vortex is just as fast as a red dot (with a little practise). They do seem a little darker than other optics I've used when the sun starts to go down, or it could just be mine. Either way it's a good sight. I don't know what your budget is, but the optic I've been anticipating is the new Nightforce 1-8x. I would also plan on spending some money on a good scope mount. If you're looking for bomb proof you can't go wrong with the Geissele mounts. I have pulled mine off and on several times and never lost zero. One time I only finger tightened the cross bolts and forgot to torque it down. My groups at 50m were the same as when it was properly torqued.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Your selection of parts is great.

If I’m in your shoes, I’d put a good improved-GI-type trigger in the dedicated CQB rifle and put the Giessele trigger in the rifle with the LPV scope (or not, if you’re not a fan of GI triggers or just want awesome triggers in both). Maybe finish it out with a BCM SS barrel and the free-float handguard of your choice.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Achilles11B View Post
    Your selection of parts is great.

If I’m in your shoes, I’d put a good improved-GI-type trigger in the dedicated CQB rifle and put the Giessele trigger in the rifle with the LPV scope (or not, if you’re not a fan of GI triggers or just want awesome triggers in both). Maybe finish it out with a BCM SS barrel and the free-float handguard of your choice.
    Pretty much this. Set the second one up as a RECCE so it can serve a Midrange purpose. I would look into stainless barrels from White Oak, Compass Lake, or Larue depending on budget. If you wanted lower budget BA/Faxon/Green Mountain are good "budget" options

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I can speak of a couple points in the thread. The Magpul Pros are excellent little sights. I prefer them over the mbus sights because they feel more rugged. I have no reason to believe the mbus sights would not hold up. I'm just partial to metal. So if you have the extra money I would go pro. The DD fixed are excellent sights of you are okay with not being able to fold them down.

And the BCM elw barrel would be my choice of lw barrel. No need to look for anything else.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Yes, finish the BCM with BCM barrel etc. it's good stuff.

Magpul pros are good enough

Either 16 inch barrel will get the job done

Vortex 1-6 is a bit heavy, but an excellent choice.

Go for it.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast