Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for Advice on AR-15 Builds

Feedback Score
    FWIW, I've seen numerous people state that MBUS sights are better than most metal ones because they don't bend and will fold before breaking upon impact. I think there is a torture test somewhere. I have numerous sets of MBUS and Pros. I can't vouch for the Pros being more rugged than MBUS but I do prefer the metal ones because of the low profile.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Question 1: Should I go ahead with another BCM BFH 16-inch "enhanced lightweight" barrel, or is there a better choice that's almost the same in weight and profile? It's hard to beat BCM for quality and price. If you want to spend a bit more and go all in on the Noveske, the Recce Light is a great barrel if you can find one.

Question 2: How are the Magpul PRO LR back up irons? Are they a good choice for a build that is intended to be "SHTF"-durable (which they are both meant to be)? I have MBUS (polymer) and MBUS PRO (metal) and I'm very happy with both. I'll give the edge to the PRO but both types are excellent.

Question 3: The intention behind having two builds is for one to be almost purely CQB oriented with a red dot + magnified, and the other close to medium with a low power (probably 1-6x) variable. Within the context of the first question about pending barrel selection, which one should fulfill each role? No comment at this time.

Question 4: Is the Vortex Razor HD Gen II-e 1-6x with the bullet drop reticle a good choice for a "bombproof" low power variable? I've seen military service members put them on their M16's, so I figure it's robust enough for a civilian. I don't own one but I have used it and I love it.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I have actually "kind of" broke an mbus.

I went to flip down the rear peep sight for the ghost ring and it broke off. The ghost ring was still usable.

Magpul replaced the sight though.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Question 3: The intention behind having two builds is for one to be almost purely CQB oriented with a red dot + magnified, and the other close to medium with a low power (probably 1-6x) variable. Within the context of the first question about pending barrel selection, which one should fulfill each role?
    The same barrel will serve well in both roles. In fact, you can use the same upper. Just install which sight you want to use. Personally, I would just use a red dot for one and the LPV for the other and skip the magnifier altogether.

I have tried the MBUS. They are adequate as a back up sight at knife fighting ranges, but the plastic is kinda squishy. The ones I've tried suffered from wandering zero.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 04-09-18 at 17:46.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12