Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Legion 9/11 Memorial Run N Gun, Rockcastle Shooting Center, Park City, KY

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I've had a few RO cancellations recently, so I need to find two more volunteers. You'll run/work Friday, and then work all day Saturday and Sunday. I can promise you that you'll work your butt off all three days, and have both frustrations and plenty of last-minute changes to deal with along the way

But you'll also have one of the most rewarding experiences of your life - working with these guys really is a treasure. And you'll get a comped run slot, half-price hotel room, and lunch provided and delivered Saturday and Sunday.

Preference given to anyone who has RO'd a RNG before. This is going to be a pretty complex match and I need experienced people who can move quickly for three days straight. If you haven't ROd a RNG before but would still like to help don't be shy - just let me know who you are and how you're qualified and we'll go from there.

Email me at mstennett-at-twlakes-dot-net if you're interested.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Round Count: It's complicated. :-)

First of all - the Group guys in general hate the idea of shooting anything with a pre-prescribed number of shots. If they see a threat, they engage the threat until it is no longer threatening. Or as Matt Sipe says: "shoot it until it changes shape or catches fire." Since we haven't figured out a way to do that at a match, they went back over various encounters they've had and tried to guess at an average number of times they shot something with various weapons. That's how we came up with 3 shots to neutralize a paper rifle target and 5 shots to neutralize a paper pistol target. Oh yeah - and D-zone hits don't count.

Second - you will have some options on what you shoot and how. I'll let Tier 1 guys figure out their own game plans based on the target counts, but in general pistol targets must be hit with pistol rounds and rifle targets must be hit with rifle rounds. Steel and clay pistol targets CAN be engaged with shotgun birdshot ONLY if you are shooting Tier 1 and decide to carry a shotgun. Shotguns are not allowed on paper targets - mostly because I don't want to paste that many holes!

And finally - one stage has 9 total paper targets that can be engaged with either pistol or rifle, or any combination of the two. Just know you have to get 5 hits if you use pistol or 3 hits if you use rifle. And if you're smart (or lucky), you may not have to engage all the targets. You'll see...

So all that to say: here's the required hit count on various targets. The totals at the bottom assume you have to engage every target just to be safe. I'd recommend carrying AT LEAST double that amount of ammo - but that's totally up to you. Group guys definitely change their equipment to match the mission - you should do the same.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Just a reminder: August 9th (Thursday) is 30 days before match day. The refund policy is non-negotiable:

Full refunds will be given if you withdraw more than 30 days before the match. Half your fee will be refunded if you withdraw between 14-29 days before the match. NO REFUND will be given if you withdraw less than 14 days before the match.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Will the rifle targets be known distance ahead of time or given at the beginning of stage? Last one I went to, they gave us rifle distances from left to right so you could have a cheat sheet made up. My scope is not bullet drop compensated so I had the mil holds I needed for each stage so that I could cram study on my way to the stage.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by joedirt199 View Post
    Will the rifle targets be known distance ahead of time or given at the beginning of stage? Last one I went to, they gave us rifle distances from left to right so you could have a cheat sheet made up. My scope is not bullet drop compensated so I had the mil holds I needed for each stage so that I could cram study on my way to the stage.
    Nope - sorry. 5th Group doesn't know the distance to their enemy when they have to engage, so neither will you. Be prepared to deal with that however makes the most sense to you.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Everyone knows how to shoot from a horse, right?

If you don't know the story of 5th Special Forces Group's Horse Soldiers, you should. Read the book Horse Soldiers: the Extraordinary Story of a Band of US Soldiers Who Rode to Victory in Afghanistan (https://www.amazon.com/Horse-Soldier.../dp/1416580522)

And watch the documentary Legion of Brothers (https://www.amazon.com/Legion-Brothe.../dp/B06Y4Q213B) to learn more about these amazing men.

Pro tip: the pic above is NOT the way to shoot from a horse. It's just me goofing off and testing the patience of my mighty steed.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Reminder: you will need a light of some kind to navigate and shoot in the cave (Stage 3). If you show up without a light you will not be allowed to shoot and will be given a zero for the stage. Weaponlights are fine to shoot with, but you'll also need a separate light to navigate parts of the cave before the shooting starts. I don't care if you carry a giant spotlight with a 12V truck battery, but you must carry it for the entire course!

If you've never been to the cave before, here's a preview video from March 2017 that will give you a better idea what to expect. The details will be different, but this is the same cave we'll be using.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Reminder: This Saturday, August 25th is the cutoff to withdraw and get a 50% refund. Any withdrawals after that for any reason will get ZERO refund as per the cancellation policy. The Special Forces Association, Chapter 38 thanks you for your donation!

The best way to withdraw is through Practiscore - that time stamps and sends me an email so I can keep track of the requests and get the refunds processed.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Reminder: you will need eye and ear protection in order to shoot. Yes, running with eyes and ears on sucks. Either figure out how to do it, or take the extra time to take them off and put them back on again before shooting. But if you show up to a shooting stage without eye and ear protection, you will not be allowed to shoot and receive a ZERO score for that stage.

Also - has everybody figured out by now that Kentucky has hills? Here's the elevation map for the new 10k course. It royally kicked my a$$ on Friday during a weight vest recon run.

And a public service announcement: running it in pants sucked. But running it in shorts would have sucked even more. You do what you want to, but I would STRONGLY suggest long pants, and treating all of your clothing with permethrin. I forgot to treat my socks and ended up with this on both ankles:

#fugginchiggers

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I have found big jugs of permethrin on amazon for around $8 and started treating the clothes I plan to wear. Thanks for the public service anouncement. Instead of spraying it on the clothes, I suggest making a bucket of the mixture and dipping your clothes in it. The diseases that ticks can carry now are not worth it. I like red meat too much to develope an allergy to it.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast