Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Legion 9/11 Memorial Run N Gun, Rockcastle Shooting Center, Park City, KY

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

2018 Legion 9/11 Memorial Run N Gun, Rockcastle Shooting Center, Park City, KY

I'm honored to announce I'll be helping to put on the second annual Legion 9/11 Memorial Run N Gun on Sept 8th and 9th, 2018 at Rockcastle Shooting Center in Park City, KY.

Details are still sketchy this early, but I wanted to get this out there now to get on everyone's calendar. This will be a benefit match for the Special Forces Association, Chapter 38 (who takes care of 5th Special Forces Group soldiers and their families out of Ft. Campbell, KY).

See last year's event page to get an idea what you might expect: https://www.facebook.com/events/1623894691019344/

All photos by Lisa Stennett

BACKGROUND:

When the United States was attacked on September 11, 2001, the country needed a response. The Green Berets of the 5th Special Forces Group, known as “The Legion,” answered that call. From crushing the Taliban in Afghanistan, to dismantling Al Qaeda networks in Iraq, and combating the Islamic State in Syria, The Legion has carried the torch in the fight against America’s enemies. Many of the battles have been fought in the shadows, known only to those who were there. This 9/11, the Special Forces Association invites you to honor the dedication and sacrifice of The Legion by participating in the second annual Legion 9/11 Memorial Run N Gun

This match is an opportunity to test rifle and pistol skills in stages based on combat situations faced by members of The Legion throughout their history. Both a 5k with 5 shooting stages and a 10k with 7 shooting stages will be offered, so you can choose your level of challenge.

All proceeds from this match will be donated to the Special Forces Association, Chapter 38 – an organization dedicated to supporting the Soldiers and families of the Special Forces Community.

WHAT YOU NEED:
    Minimum Rifle Round Count: TBD
    Minimum Pistol Round Count: TBD
    (Recommend carrying 2 x minimum rnd count. Also, there will be a side matches you can shoot as well)
    - Rifle that can reach out to TBD yds
    - Rifle sling
    - Enough rifle magazines to hold the minimum rifle round count at least
    - Enough rifle magazine pouches to hold your rifle magazines
    - Pistol with secure holster (must cover trigger guard)
    - Enough pistol magazines to hold the minimum pistol round count at least
    - Enough pistol magazine pouches to hold your pistol magazines
    - Headlamp for navigating the cave to/from the shooting portion (you cannot use a weapon mounted light for navigating the cave)
    - Tac light (pistol mounted or hand held) for the shooting portion in the cave
    - Clear Eye Protection
    - Hearing Protection

TIMELINE:
    8 SEPT
    0630 - Registration
    0730 - Shooters Meeting/Safety Brief
    0800 - First Runner
    TBD - Awards Ceremony

9 SEPT
    0630 - Registration
    0730 - Shooters Meeting/Safety Brief
    0800 - First Runner
    TBD - Awards Ceremony
    Last edited by Matt in TN; 06-13-18 at 20:40.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    For those who have shot my March matches or other Run N Guns - this match is a little different. I decided early on I can't "out badass" 5th Group, so I'm not even going to try. My March matches are simple fun events which test your skills and fitness level. The Legion match is a chance for civilians to actually experience a watered down version of what our 5th Group friends live every day, and is the closest we can get to "real world" in a safe competitive environment.

For example - 5th Group rarely knows exactly what they're in for until they get there, so all stages will be shot completely "'blind" and there will be no stage details released before the match.

5th Group never quits, so you can't either. You must keep shooting until you either run out of ammo or the RO makes you stop. There is no "taking the penalty and moving on."

It's not always clear who the good guys and bad guys are in the field, so you will be briefed on various intel items as part of the match and be expected to remember, analyze, and decide who and when to shoot and who not to shoot. On the clock. While you're exhausted.

In other words, you must be able to perform physically. You must be able to shoot well. And you must be able to think and process information while doing both of the above.

More info coming soon. Good luck!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    So...I had a meeting with my 5th Group counterparts recently. I don't want to jinx anything, but I will say that if even half the stuff they already have in process comes through this will make "epic" look boring.

What we do have nailed down is that the basic schedule will be identical to March: ROs run on Friday. 5k on Saturday with 5 shooting stages (same route and shooting locations as before). 10-ishk on Sunday with 7 shooting stages (new route and two new shooting locations still being nailed down).

Should be plenty of side matches with VERY unique opportunities available to help raise funds for the Special Forces Association.

More to come...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Since I'm a freaking genius and forgot to put this in the first post, the Facebook Event page for this year's event is located at: https://www.facebook.com/events/2015...tab=discussion

By far the best way to keep up with every detail discussed about this event is to visit that page and click "Interested" or "Going" - and you should be notified any time anyone posts anything new regarding the event.

I will be also be reposting things I think are important in six other public forums (this is one!) for those who don't do Facebook.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    F*CK YAAAAAA!
    When you're done saying what you're saying, stop saying it.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    That's a very, very awesome graphic, by the way. Just thought I'd mention it.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Looking forward to being a part of these when I get back on the mainland, still bummed that my boss denied my leave for it last time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Looking forward to being a part of these when I get back on the mainland, still bummed that my boss denied my leave for it last time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm sorry too! Focus on kicking ass and coming home safe, and we'll be here when you get back.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    And we're open - go and get some!!!

If it fills up before you get in, be sure to sign up anyway and get on the waitlist. You will not be charged until you move off the waitlist. We're holding several slots for active 5th Group guys that may very well be released to the public later.

Last edited by Matt in TN; 06-09-18 at 10:05.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Just got signed up. Love your category descriptions. Plenty of time for me to get my butt in cardio shape.

Question? My buddy has rifle rated plates that I swear are fake since they are so light. Is there a weight limit on the armor to be used.
    Last edited by joedirt199; 06-09-18 at 10:07.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast