Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Legion 9/11 Memorial Run N Gun, Rockcastle Shooting Center, Park City, KY

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Attn: any Active Duty personnel: Christopher Gillis of Southern Custom Guns signed up for the 10k and has a conflict. Instead of withdrawing and getting a full refund, he'd like to donate his spot to an Active Duty military person.

Any branch is fine - the first one to contact me at mstennett@twlakes.net by timestamp gets it. And this is the honor system - if you claim to be AD military and you're not, it's between you and all of the SF personnel onsite who will likely want to talk with you about it. :-)

https://www.facebook.com/S.G.G.LLC/?...mF7gQBMKU5Q6Yw

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt in TN View Post
    Attn: any Active Duty personnel: Christopher Gillis of Southern Custom Guns signed up for the 10k and has a conflict. Instead of withdrawing and getting a full refund, he'd like to donate his spot to an Active Duty military person.

Any branch is fine - the first one to contact me at mstennett@twlakes.net by timestamp gets it. And this is the honor system - if you claim to be AD military and you're not, it's between you and all of the SF personnel onsite who will likely want to talk with you about it. :-)

https://www.facebook.com/S.G.G.LLC/?...mF7gQBMKU5Q6Yw
    That’s awesome of him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    That’s awesome of him.
    It is. And you know what's more awesome?

I am thrilled to award this donated slot to Spc Randall, CTRP “Shadow” 1-33CAV, 3BCT “Rakkasans “, 101ABN. He's going to go Tier One and run the event at his full Mortar fighting load weight.

The perfect candidate!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I am amazed at people's kindness: Robert Hundley had to cancel, and instead of getting a $100 refund for the 10k he donated his slot to the next shooter on the waitlist "because this is for such a good cause". I've contacted that shooter and let him know - not only did he just get in, but he got in for free!

I also told him he'd better bring plenty of cash for the side matches and other fund-raising goings-on to make up for his good fortune. :-)

And since I was in the registration data anyway, I had to pull some stats. We have 21 5th Group guys currently signed up out of 158 total competitors. And here's the other data summarized:

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I guess the lodge is all booked up that weekend. Was looking for a room for wife, son and me but didn't appear to be anything available.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by joedirt199 View Post
    I guess the lodge is all booked up that weekend. Was looking for a room for wife, son and me but didn't appear to be anything available.
    Were you looking online? If so, you need to call them. Their online booking is never right - they're old school. I bet if you call in you will be able to get a room.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ClangClang View Post
    Were you looking online? If so, you need to call them. Their online booking is never right - they're old school. I bet if you call in you will be able to get a room.
    This. Call them at 270-749-4101. Tell them you're coming for the match and you may get a reduced rate. Be warned - this is a 1960's golf resort, repurposed as a shooting center. The Lodge is BY FAR the best place to stay to get the full experience, but if you show up expecting a Hilton you will be disappointed.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Don't worry, I am not a world traveler who stays at the 5 star hotels. I would be fine with a coule close trees to hang my hammock from but the wife and son might not like that. I did the calander search on the sight and it was not coming back with anything so guess it is not the greatest. I will give them a call. Thanks for the heads up. I will bring my father in law's giant cooking griddle and make homemade pancakes to get the morning started.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Just did the lead farm's 5k run n gun and learned alot.

Lower magnification is key on rifle targets. Used a 3-10 as I was worried about small distant targets. Not the case. Should have ran my 1-4 so I could see the field and which target I was on. Was doing holdovers on wrong targets, I am sure, and used up all my time before I could engage them all.

Leg cardio, cardio, cardio. This was all hills and not much flats through thick woods and dirtbike trails. Very ankle stressing.

There were token drop boxes you were supposed to look for and I missed a bunch of those to show you made it to certain areas. Was just a fun match with not much at stake and rifle shots out to 400 yards so deffinately an eye opener. One of the first guys made the run to the first stage, shot it, and walked back to the parking area done. He said he should have trained for this.

My brand new gopro used up all its battery and hour in and crapped out halfway. Anyone play with the hero 5 session and how to get more battery time out of it? Or I could just run faster.
    Last edited by joedirt199; 07-21-18 at 14:02.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Great report and lessons learned!

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast