Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Legion 9/11 Memorial Run N Gun, Rockcastle Shooting Center, Park City, KY

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CPM View Post
    Did the 10k yesterday. I cannot describe the level of suck it was. In the pouring rain the first stage started with a slide down a chute into three feet of water. Before you fired a shot you were completely soaked from the waist down. I hope someone posts a video to youtube. I'll take 15/66 on the shooting stages alone, though. It was a great time, but it broke me off- and I have done several of these.
    We had one girl slip at Stage 1 and go completely submerged if it makes you feel any better. ;-)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    OK - someone paying more attention than me pointed out that the scores are correct on Practiscore if you dig deep enough.

Go here for the 5k Results: https://www.practiscore.com/results/...3-b5aeb3a8cbe2

And here for the 10k results:
    https://www.practiscore.com/results/...3-7092f148ab6b

I'll continue to work on making it easier to find - sorry for the delay and confusion.

And then we have two more follow-up items:

1. Please send any photos or videos you're willing to share to legionrungun@gmail.com

2. There were several lost and found items (including a prize table item) left over after everyone had left. Please email the address above if you've lost anything and they'll dig through the pile to see if it's there. Or we may find it still on the course next year (it happens every match!).

More to come...
    Last edited by Matt in TN; 09-12-18 at 08:40.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Some stats:

We ended up with 144 total competitors. 26 of those were 5SFG (3 ran on both days), 2 were Gold Star Fathers, and 5 were women (1 ran on both days). 3 were kids, and the youngest who ran and shot was 11.

Here's the breakdown to show how many people failed to finish each stage (top bar graph), how many people failed at multiple stages (bottom bar graph), and how each day's weight classes filled out. I'm happy to report only one person failed every stage they attempted to shoot. And they kept going and never quit!

Conditions played a HUGE factor, so I wanted to document those too:

And this was totally informal and NOT part of the official match, but we had 11 people who ran both the 5k on Saturday and the 10k on Sunday. Many of them asked me, just for fun, to combine their scores to see how they stacked up against each other.

Last edited by Matt in TN; 09-13-18 at 16:35.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Official match pictures are up at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/163548...57699713389221

As I mentioned at the match, please use them however you'd like, but give Lisa Stennett a photo credit if you do. If you see any pictures of yourself you'd like to be removed, simply send me a message and we'll take them down ASAP.

It's hilarious that Flickr chose to use the horse as the cover photo. :-)

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Thanks for the pictures, Matt! I hung out with Lisa after shooting stage two and waiting for my friend. Very nice woman.

Did anyone make a video of the 10k on Sunday? The pictures do not do that weather justice.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    There's no way a video can do justice to the spirit, comaraderie, catharsis, horrible and amazing weather conditions, explosions and 50 cal simulators, and demonstrations of sheer willpower and skill we saw last weekend. But here's six minutes in which I try to capture just a TASTE of all that.

Thank you to everyone for helping me to pull this off and making it an extremely successful weekend from every single angle: from sharing 5th Group stories, to honoring their fallen and Gold Star Fathers, to raising a ton of money for the Special Forces Association, Chapter 38 - and welcoming the guys themselves into our awesome Run N Gun Family while testing ourselves against the hardest course I've seen yet. I couldn't have done it without each and every one of you.

Last edited by Matt in TN; 09-17-18 at 15:17.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    And because these stories NEED to be told, I'm going to reprint the portions of the match books explaining the events behind each stage.

Stage 1: BRONCO DOWN

MACV-SOG, or Military Assistance Command Vietnam Studies and Observation Group, was a joint service unconventional warfare task force engaged in highly classified operations throughout Southeast Asia. The 5th Special Forces channeled personnel into MACV-SOG under secret orders. These teams performed deep penetration missions of strategic reconnaissance and interdiction, such as the "Shining Brass" or "Prairie Fire" missions in 1971. When the Special Forces began operations in Vietnam, it didn’t take long to for the OV10, “Bronco” aircraft to earn its reputation as one of the most feared weapon in the US arsenal by the Viet Cong, NVA and Pathet Lao. The enemy knew the Bronco meant an air strike would certainly follow.

On 6 July 1971, US Army Special Forces Capt. Donald G. "Butch" Carr, crewed a Bronco to find, fix, and support suppression of enemy forces. MAJ Carr was the Deputy Commander of the MACV-SOG element at Nakhon Phanom, Thailand. His Bronco, Nail 48 assailed one of the major arteries of the infamous Ho Chi Minh Trail. Its mission was to target this border road used by the Communists to transport weapons, supplies and troops from North Vietnam into South Vietnam, until his aircraft disappeared after reports of enemy activity.

After his disappearance, there were wild and varied reports of a “crazy American,” who had survived the crash. Donald Carr was among nearly 600 Americans who disappeared in Laos. While it is not known exactly what unfolded when MAJ Carr and his partner crash landed, numerous reports indicated multiple Enemy Killed in Action at or around the crash site. We do know MAJ Carr’s body was found decades later, far from the site. MAJ Carr was recovered and his remains returned to his family this year.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Stage 2: AT TANF, “DE-CONFLICTION ZONE”

In 2017, American Green Berets manned and operated an austere outpost in the Syria-Iraq-Jordanian “Tri-Border Region,” to disrupt enemy forces and target ISIS or “Da’esh” militants as they attempted to escape the killing grounds of the Middle Euphrates Valley. The Green Berets were highly trained in preparing local ground forces for combat. Despite the austerity of their location, they remained vigilant for the opportunity to engage Da’esh as they fled toward the US Partner-Country of Jordan. In the past year, At Tanf has seen multiple engagements and remains a hot bed of enemy and international activity.

During a security patrol, two separate Green Beret elements made contact with and interdicted a small, hostile smuggling force. When engaged by the enemy, elements in contact made radio contact with adjacent units for support. The two teams quickly adjusted their activity to move to the location of the firefight and engage the enemy. One team had to hastily mount their gun trucks, and upon positively identifying suicide vests on multiple combatants began engaging and neutralizing the enemy immediately.

That day resulted in numerous Da’esh enemy killed in action, and zero wounded or injured Green Berets. The action sent a clear message to Da’esh attempting to flee that American forces were waiting, and willing to interdict.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Stage 3: RAQQAH RUMBLE

Currently Special Forces from sister services are operating together collectively to combat our Nation’s enemies. Elite Explosive Ordinance Disposal (EOD) Operator, Chief Kenton Stacy was critically wounded in November as one of the few elite Navy EOD operators assigned to a Special Forces unit tasked with clearing areas which had been held by ISIS fighters. While his team was clearing improvised explosive devices from the second floor of a hospital that had been rigged with booby traps, one of the devices detonated within just a few feet of Kenton, injuring his spinal cord and forever changing his life. Stacy endured the brunt of the blast, saving many of his teammates. His team reacted and sprang into action to speed him to critical care facilities. The teams continued work to clear the hospital, wrecked buildings and tunnel systems for months to come. Special Forces and EOD experts must face uncertain environments such as tunnels, cave systems, and wreckage in the current operating environment.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Stage 4 (10k only): THE MANBIJ POCKET

In 2016, the reach and control the Islamic State had established in Northern Syria was staggering. It would take US Special Forces and their partners numerous operations and countless munitions to stem IS’s spread and retake key terrain, to turn the fight against IS. The Manbij Offensive, code-named Operation Martyr by the Syrian Democratic Forces was a 2016 military offensive to finally break through IS lines—at the time this was a small, critical pocket IS forces had established in Manbij city. Surrounding the "Manbij Pocket" in the northern Aleppo Governorate, Special Forces and the SDF saw the opportunity to cut off IS's last smuggling and supply routes from Turkey and shorten the battle. During the first 5 days of the offensive, the US-led coalition conducted over 55 airstrikes to support friendly maneuver. Desperate IS fighters used suicide attacks, improvised “mad max” vehicles, and drones to attempt counterattacks. After capturing Manbij city on 12 August, the SDF announced that the offensive would continue east from Manbij to crush IS.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast