Thread: LMT MRP——Post 3500 rds

Feedback Score

LMT MRP——Post 3500 rds

I purchased my first AR last November. I traded in my M1a and told the guy behind the counter I wanted an AR. He started pointing me in the s&w sport, springfield saint direction. The old man behind the counter was doing paperwork but I could see him looking over periodically. He approached and handed me the MRP saying “you should check this out”. I didnt really realize how it differed from any of the other ARs I had checked out or shot before, but it felt very well built. I did know however that LMT was well respected in the industry. Six months and 3500 rounds later I cant say how much i appreciate the platform.

First, the MARS lower is great. Being that I am in CA, I have to have a grip fin installed over my grip. This makes working the standard safety impossible with my shooting thumb. While they didn’t design the ambi selector for this reason, it goes towards showing its utility. Where the MARS really shines is the ambi bolt catch/release. Being able to do seat a mag with the left hand and engage the release with my right trigger finger makes mag changes incredibly fast. I have had no issues or concerns with this lower thus far. You should know however that its controls are proprietary and LMT does not provide civilian customers with spare parts. They handle all repairs and replacement of parts on there end if there is an issue.

Regarding the MRP upper, I have seen criticism of the platform due to its weight. And while this criticism is valid, it ignores what I think LMT was really going for; a monolithic, battle capable system. What the MRP gives up in weight, it makes up for in reliability/ruggedness. There are no sections or screws to come loose between the rail and receiver. It is all one piece. What i like even more is the fact that the design negates the need for plastic handguards(a potential failure point) and gets rid of the delta ring/barrel system. The barrel has a heavy profile and sports a midlength gas system.

The rifle is, in my opinion, a little over gassed but i think it was tuned this way purposely. It has functioned flawlessly with hot nato rounds and also with lighter .223 loadings. I also cannot find any non normal wear/tear on the rifle suggesting that its vastly over gassed. Per LMT, a 2:00 ejection pattern is fine.

I’m very happy that I chose the MRP for my first AR. I think I’m spoiled now.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    It's hard to go wrong with an MRP. I agree that the design is very rugged. The upper/chassis isn't even that "heavy", it's just that these days lightweight is popular and by comparison to other it has some extra weight. For a carbine to count on through anything, I'll take an MRP and live with a little extra weight. I don't have a MARS lower but I really like that you can engage the bolt catch from the right side. That's the most valuable 'ambi' feature to me, yet most ambi lowers don't offer that (most just have bolt release on right side).

Feedback Score
    I agree with all your points...I think it's pretty telling when the New Zealand defense force selected the MRP as their next service-wide platform over offerings from big names like HK and FN. But I think they had a positive experience with the LMT .308 MWS platform before, so I'm sure some commonality of platform played a role in that decision, too.
    If plan A didn’t work, the alphabet has 25 more letters.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Nothing wrong with the MRP in my opinion. LMT is top tier. One of my favorites.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"