Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 178 gr ELDs in .308 Winchester

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    We had an old lot and new lot of powder. 4064 I think. The old shot 100 I say one hundred feet per second faster. naturally we are out of the hot powder. We hope to end up around 2,500+ FPS if we can keep primers in.
    Pappabear, what load are you using for 4064? I'm working up a load for my MWS.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corse View Post
    Pappabear, what load are you using for 4064? I'm working up a load for my MWS.
    We switched 4064 lots and lost 100 fps. I feel like our charge weight would be somewhat worthless with the huge variance in lot velocities. I think the load was in the mid 42 grain range. I could check if you want.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    We switched 4064 lots and lost 100 fps. I feel like our charge weight would be somewhat worthless with the huge variance in lot velocities. I think the load was in the mid 42 grain range. I could check if you want.
    Sure. I need a good place start.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Sure. I need a good place start.
    41.5-42.0 is a good gas gun starting load, and where I started on all 3 of Pappabear's LMT MWS barrels. Even if you have a faster lot of powder, you'll be safe there. 44s are where you're getting into bolt gun pressure levels with 4064.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    41.5-42.0 is a good gas gun starting load, and where I started on all 3 of Pappabear's LMT MWS barrels. Even if you have a faster lot of powder, you'll be safe there. 44s are where you're getting into bolt gun pressure levels with 4064.
    Thanks. I'll start there and see what I get.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Thanks. I'll start there and see what I get.
    Depends on the Barrel too. Pappabear had a barrel that just shot really hot... even on the starter load around 42.0.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 100 View Post
    I never could get a decent load for my FN SPR 1:12. They were actually pretty bad. I eventually gave up on them and stuck with 178 AMAXs for longer ranges. I might revisit them when my custom rig comes in (hopefully next week )
    I have a FN SPR and it shoots MOA, but we run Varget for our Bolt guns. What custom are you getting?

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    With the 178 eld’s out of a gas gun, how are the speeds? I haven’t tried them but shoot the 168’s. I thought about trying the 178’s but haven’t yet, thinking since they’re so long it would screw with case capacity and I wouldn’t be able to get the velocity up to really take advantage of the bc.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    We're taking another pass at the 178s. I loaded just under 250 of them yesterday, so I hope this load is decent.

Trying them with IMR 4064 in MEN brass.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I prefer 1:10 or 1:11 in my .308s. The 1:12s don't seem to handle the higher BC bullets nearly as well. Also, don't get too crazy on the FPS, i'd rather save my barrels and enjoy them a bit longer than pushing the pressure mark. 2350-2400 is fine for me. If you can get more, great. The .308 bullet options have also come a long way. I mean BCs available in the .7xx range are pretty awesome for this old cartridge. Just sold an AR10 and hoping to get a bolt gun build going in .308 or 6.5 soon. Cheers.

BOOM
    "When the people fear their government there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." – Thomas Jefferson

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast