Thread: New stock

Feedback Score

New stock

I have a savage model 12 .308 varmite 26in what stock do you think ? H&s or McMillan ?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    What’s the intended use of the rifle? H&S makes a great stock, I highly recommend them. I’ve heard nothing but good things about McMillan but I have no firsthand experience with them. I’m sure others will be able to weigh in here.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    McMillan is local to me and I got to do a factory tour after running into Mr McMillan at a local restaurant. I was highly impressed with the amount of hand fitting done to the stocks. HS Precision makes a good stock but I think McMillan is a step above.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    At least a step above. Also there is Manners stocks. When I was looking at stocks, it seems like McMillan had long lead times where Manners didn't. Don't know if that is still true.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    McMillan is good, Manners is better.....IMO
    Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance.......

Feedback Score
    Thanks guys .i would like to take this gun out a 1000yrds

Feedback Score
    You have a wide selection of stocks available these days, do your homework and take your time to pick the right stock for you, you will never get back what you spent if you made a bad choice on selection. I would start with McMillan and Manners, if you go cheap that is what you will get, a cheap stock.
    Last edited by alrick18; 08-01-19 at 12:17.

Feedback Score
    Manners is a great option if you want to go that route, but for a fantastic stock that is priced really well, i would look at the KRG Bravo. It has a ton of features for the $.

https://kineticresearchgroup.com/product/bravo-chassis/

ETA: they might not make the Bravo for a Savage action now that i think of it but you could go with the KRG 180 Alpha for a bit more $
    Last edited by B Cart; 08-01-19 at 14:46.

Feedback Score
    I've never used any of the stock you mentioned. The only aftermarket stock's I've ever used are Bell & Carlson M40 (223 and 308) and Alaskan Sporter (280 Rem.) stock's. They work good for me.

I came across Grayboe Stock's. Don't know anyone who's ever used them, seem nice.

One thing I would recommend, which is the purpose of my reply. Is bedding whichever stock you get. I bed from the rear tang to about an inch or two in front of the recoil lug (Rem 700's, never had a Savage). It's helped even with aftermarket stocks.

Good luck, NYH1.

ROLLTIDE!
    NYSRPA Member.