Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Summer boots for desert heat?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Best Summer boots for desert heat?

I wear and have worn Solomon Quest boots for years. Love them but they are a little hot in the summer. I like a sturdy sole and was considering some 5:11 or Danner. And as you know, Danner makes many pair.

Do you have a recommendation and if so, specify the exact brand or share a link.

Thanks for your replies.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

Best Summer boots for desert heat?

Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I wear and have worn Solomon Quest boots for years. Love them but they are a little hot in the summer. I like a sturdy sole and was considering some 5:11 or Danner. And as you know, Danner makes many pair.

Do you have a recommendation and if so, specify the exact brand or share a link.

Thanks for your replies.

PB
    PB,

Why not Salomon Speed Assaults? They are the lightest, most cool(temp wise) and one of the most comfortable boots I’ve owned. I’ve had two pair, one pair I trained in and that convinced me to buy a pair for every day wear. I may be forgetting the actual weight - but I believe they were around 21oz for the pair. Excellent laces, the sole is super grippy and they dry very quickly.
    I also own Salomon 4D Forces and the Speed Assaults are a lot lighter and cooler to wear. Those are bother pair of my favorites, but for summer wear - Speed Assaults are the bomb.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    PB I picked up a set of Terrex Swift R2s for work and so far they seem decent. Not as warm as your typical GTX style footwear. Admittedly everyone runs Salomons and I wanted to be different.

Maybe worth a look

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    PB,

Why not Salomon Speed Assaults? They are the lightest, most cool(temp wise) and one of the most comfortable boots I’ve owned. I’ve had two pair, one pair I trained in and that convinced me to buy a pair for every day wear. I may be forgetting the actual weight - but I believe they were around 21oz for the pair. Excellent laces, the sole is super grippy and they dry very quickly.
    I also own Salomon 4D Forces and the Speed Assaults are a lot lighter and cooler to wear. Those are bother pair of my favorites, but for summer wear - Speed Assaults are the bomb.
    I have jacked up feet. I need a balance of coolness and stiff soles. I can’t wear a boot that I feel large rocks through the sole. I want to glide on top do these fit that criteria? If you can make toe touch back of boot almost. Too soft for my rocky desert.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    PB I picked up a set of Terrex Swift R2s for work and so far they seem decent. Not as warm as your typical GTX style footwear. Admittedly everyone runs Salomons and I wanted to be different.

Maybe worth a look

I’ll check those out

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Merrill MOAB ventilators or Lowa Zephyr non gtx or gtx for that matter if you want waterproof.
    Last edited by ggammell; 04-19-18 at 20:01.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    PB,

How do the Speed Assaults handle the desert sand? Do they have any major holes or let sand in easily? I’m asking because my Forces XA mids have finally fallen apart after several years and need some new mids for a trip to the desert. I am at a toss up; either stick with the XA or try the speed assaults.
    Last edited by norbis; 04-23-18 at 21:19.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I couldn't find the Salomon boots to try on. I heard great things about the Moab boots from many people. Then I also tried the Vasque breeze boots. So I tried to find either the Vasque or Moab's in a 12.0. Nobody in town had in stock. So I found the Breeze boots in stock online and bought them.

Thanks for feedback guys

While at REI, the guy sold me on some Wrightsocks for cool weather. Liked them Sunday. Socks I know where half my problem. I love big thick winter socks but THEY HOT.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 04-23-18 at 22:36.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by norbis View Post
    How do the Speed Assaults handle the desert sand? Do they have any major holes or let sand in easily? I’m asking because my Forces XA mids have finally fallen apart after several years and need some new mids for a trip to the desert. I am at a toss up; either stick with the XA or try the speed assaults.
    The older models definitely have holes; two drain holes on the inside. Not too sure about the newer models; I've seen the newer black models that don't have the drain holes, but I don't know about the burro colorway. A shame, too, because I think that without those holes, they'd be more resistant to sand than the XA Pro Mids, as the mesh on those can let in very fine sand (as I found out this year at the Bataan Memorial Death March, much to my feet's displeasure), while the Speed Assault's fabric seems to be of a tighter weave. That being said, most sandy areas are fine, just areas with very fine sand you should be wary of with the XA Pro Mids.

I will say that the Speed Assaults aren't great on rocks, either, as the chevron treads will get torn up easier than the outsole design of the XA Pro Mids.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    The older models definitely have holes; two drain holes on the inside. Not too sure about the newer models; I've seen the newer black models that don't have the drain holes, but I don't know about the burro colorway. A shame, too, because I think that without those holes, they'd be more resistant to sand than the XA Pro Mids, as the mesh on those can let in very fine sand (as I found out this year at the Bataan Memorial Death March, much to my feet's displeasure), while the Speed Assault's fabric seems to be of a tighter weave. That being said, most sandy areas are fine, just areas with very fine sand you should be wary of with the XA Pro Mids.

I will say that the Speed Assaults aren't great on rocks, either, as the chevron treads will get torn up easier than the outsole design of the XA Pro Mids.
    I’ll try to address your points down below tmp

Quote Originally Posted by norbis View Post
    The new burro’s have drain holes. Metal mesh over the drain holes. So if your sand is that kind of sand that stays stuck between your teeth for days and finds it’s way into very crack and crevice - and your wife is still nagging you over sand In the dryer 3 months after you’re back home, then I’d say get some 100 MPH tape and cover the drain holes because the boot is light and I believe the tread pattern would kick big ass in the desert sand. —Caveat— I live in central Texas and have only worn them in the Florida sand and Californistan coastal sand. But I have spent considerable time in high desert, Huachuca, NTC etc. I’d wear them just from the lightweight and how cool they are. Not tacticool BS literally cool. Very breathable material.

As far as the rocks - Default makes a good point. I believe sharp rocks would eventually take a toll, but Salomon has improved the durability of the sole over older versions. The older SA’s definitely wore out pretty fast. But I think you’re going to get more mileage out of these new ones over the old ones. My only hesitation on the rocks - is that the soles are softer. You might feel sharp rocks more than the Forces 4D. I can’t relate them to the XA Mids, never owned them, but man after I’ve worn my Forces for a few days straight and then slip the Speed Assaults on, it’s like sliding your feet into a piece of heaven. I made a promise after I got out of the Army, that I would treat my dawgs good. The Salomon’s and Altama’s have proven themselves worthy of that promise. I can tell you that.

Here a pic of the drain holes, zoomed in. Let me know if you can’t see the pics for some reason. I’m using Tapatalk.

Pic of the tread. A bout a year old. A lot of daily pavement walking with about a 25-30 lb pack. And I wear them when I train and it’s stupid hot out. Location is a mix of rock and clay - mostly clay. Wear them hiking on rocky trails, some climbing, & through creeks and they dry stupendously fast.

Pardon mistakes - on my phone.

"Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast