Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dry Firing References

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Dry Firing References

Does anyone have a link or info from a pistol manufacturer (or other reliable irrefutable resource) that just flat out recommends dry-firing as a good practice?

Wanting this info started as an argument at a local Cabelas with one of their “experts” but I couldn’t give any real support, such as Smith & Wesson, Glock, etc. recommend dry-firing. I practice by “dry firing” to practice trigger control, sight acquisition, etc. but can’t find any legitimate support.

I know you can go to the internet to justify doing anything anyway you want and maybe my search skills prevent me from being able to find something that is more than being just a bunch of opinions.

Would anyone have any links or ideas?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I don't think you will find any professional trainers/instructors who DON'T recommend dry-firing as an important training adjunct.

There are books on the subject, such as: https://www.amazon.com/Dry-Fire-Trai.../dp/1497319633

I'm not sure if the Marine Corps still does it, but most of the first week of the two weeks I spent at Edson Range when I went through boot camp in 1972 was spent 'snapping in' (dry-firing) on barrels with the different targets painted on them.

I don't know what else you could need, unfortunately, there is no mention of dry-fire in The Bible, which is apparently what is needed to convince some folks of it's value.

Feedback Score
    It doesn't harm most common center fire rifles, but it does harm rimfires because the firing pin hits the barrel, whereas a center fire rifle's firing pin doesn't hit anything. ... Even if it is a rimfire, it can be dry fired without damage if you insert a snap cap or spent casing in the chamber.

Feedback Score
    Your first mistake was engaging in conversation with said ‘expert’.

Ime most are full of shit. Not all, but most.

I would bet no manufacture recommends it in literature.

Feedback Score
    The dry firing debate has been raging on since shortly after the flood waters receded in Noah's day. If you want official rulings, in depth scientific studies, and manufacturers documented info...good luck. You will only ever get anecdotal information on both sides. Make your decision and drive on. Random guy behind the counter at Cabela's or the LGS... your first mistake was making eye contact and engaging in verbal communication.
    -Colt 6920 w/Aimpoint PRO

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ucrt View Post
    Does anyone have a link or info from a pistol manufacturer (or other reliable irrefutable resource) that just flat out recommends dry-firing as a good practice?

Wanting this info started as an argument at a local Cabelas with one of their “experts” but I couldn’t give any real support, such as Smith & Wesson, Glock, etc. recommend dry-firing. I practice by “dry firing” to practice trigger control, sight acquisition, etc. but can’t find any legitimate support.

I know you can go to the internet to justify doing anything anyway you want and maybe my search skills prevent me from being able to find something that is more than being just a bunch of opinions.

Would anyone have any links or ideas? Thanks
    It's not worth it. Better to spend your time in dry practice.

See also: internet social issue and political discussions.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ucrt View Post

If I understand you correctly, you want a supporting evidence that dry fire helps to improve technical skills / shooting abilities. Gun manufacturer's won't be your source, people or organizations that have achieved recognizable levels of technical excellence are. Training and competition community are such people, with more or less available evidence to that. In a written form, your best reference is a self-taught and trained six-time USPSA National champion and reigning world IPSC champion Ben Stoeger, who has presented compelling arguments that dry fire in some instances is superior to live fire and has published multiple dry fire books and even videos. Having shot with multiple Super Squad level shooters, not one got there without dry fire, and it is endorsed and utilized in classes by multiple trainers and instructors. Rogers Shooting School offers evening dry fire sessions after their daily live routine is completed.

Better yet, just don't waste your time on morons.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Paul Howe of CSAT, his website is combatshootingandtactics.com, go to published articles & he has a nice write-up about it.

Sorry, I'm a techtard, don't know how to do links on my tablet.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Highly encourage dry firing and manipulations. Some refer to manipulations as "gun handling" and an experienced person can usually tell who handles their weapon like they just found it on the moon. You can get innovative with dry practice, reloads, target transitions, etc.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sagecarbina View Post
    ... it does harm rimfires because the firing pin hits the barrel...
    With some exceptions, the Ruger 10/22 and Mk-series pistols being very notable ones. The 10/22 manual actually says it (pg. 23):

https://ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/_manuals/1022.pdf

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast