Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installation of the KDG FDE MREX Rail 6.5" on my FN SCAR 17 blk 16.5"

Feedback Score

Installation of the KDG FDE MREX Rail 6.5" on my FN SCAR 17 blk 16.5"

Thanks for the help guys now I know how to install it.
    Last edited by Scarlover01; 04-23-18 at 16:21.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    If I were you I would email all my questions to the manufacturer.

Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=militarymoron;2620711] Thanks for the advice dude.
    Last edited by Scarlover01; 04-23-18 at 16:22.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I installed a shorter MREX on my SCAR 17 SBR.

I followed their online video at the time (a couple of years ago with a woman doing the installation).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zd-xiXisAKg

I used the wife's blow dryer I think maybe 45 seconds was enough? I don't think the front required it, just the rear.

I torqued the screws per the video and all is well.

I agree with you concerning the SAS buttstock, looked great but jacked up my SCAR 17s backplate - thankfully I had a spare and the screws to replace it after the bent screw had to be drilled out to remove it.

I'd get an MREX for my 10.5 SBR but after 4 years I think they aren't going to release it.

Their charging handle is "meh" as well.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    I installed a shorter MREX on my SCAR 17 SBR.

I followed their online video at the time (a couple of years ago with a woman doing the installation).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zd-xiXisAKg

I used the wife's blow dryer I think maybe 45 seconds was enough? I don't think the front required it, just the rear.

I torqued the screws per the video and all is well.

I agree with you concerning the SAS buttstock, looked great but jacked up my SCAR 17s backplate - thankfully I had a spare and the screws to replace it after the bent screw had to be drilled out to remove it.

I'd get an MREX for my 10.5 SBR but after 4 years I think they aren't going to release it.

Their charging handle is "meh" as well.
    Thank you for you're advise! I will follow it!
    Last edited by Scarlover01; 04-23-18 at 16:23.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarlover01 View Post
    Thank you for you're advise! I will follow it!

Yes this KDG stock sucks I guess.. I hope I'll find a Stock Latch and hinge out of aluminum for the OEM Stock..

Isn’t it the aluminum hinge interface with the receiver that causes issues? Not a KDG-specific issue, a material issue with all aluminum hinges. I would still recommend you contact KDG re: mrex install. The guys at KDG are great.

That’s a very very nice setup you have there. Excellent choice in optic and mount.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarlover01 View Post
    The problem is that I don't trust the manufacturer because they screwed up many SCARs with their SAS Buttstocks (even that no one has any problems with the MREX Rails, I wont't trust KDG anymore) and FNs customer service is not even existing. I thought maybe anyone of the community here already installed one of these rails and could give me some advice.
    I installed an MREX on my 16S., but I had already taken off the bottom rail previously. I used a heat gun on the screw.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshNC View Post
    Isn’t it the aluminum hinge interface with the receiver that causes issues? Not a KDG-specific issue, a material issue with all aluminum hinges. I would still recommend you contact KDG re: mrex install. The guys at KDG are great.
    Correct, and this has not been verified. Further research (which I would recommend to the OP do before coming on a public forum and bashing a company) will show that scars come from the factory with canted screws and can develop the canted screw issue even with a stock buttstock. It appears this issue has more to do with the gas system of the 17 vs the buttstock. The military weapon was built around a very specific set of projectiles and the gas system is tuned to those. FN opened up the gas port on the civilian guns so it can shoot crappy ammo. This has far more to do with the gun "beating itself up" especially when shot suppressed vs the what stock you use.

If you no longer trust KDG, I would recommend not buying their products.

Feedback Score
    But thank you for you're honest opinion it's important to talk about these issues.

Best regards
    Last edited by Scarlover01; 04-23-18 at 23:03.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    Correct, and this has not been verified. Further research (which I would recommend to the OP do before coming on a public forum and bashing a company) will show that scars come from the factory with canted screws and can develop the canted screw issue even with a stock buttstock. It appears this issue has more to do with the gas system of the 17 vs the buttstock. The military weapon was built around a very specific set of projectiles and the gas system is tuned to those. FN opened up the gas port on the civilian guns so it can shoot crappy ammo. This has far more to do with the gun "beating itself up" especially when shot suppressed vs the what stock you use.

If you no longer trust KDG, I would recommend not buying their products.

You can replace the gas port grommets, FN just uses one of the larger diameter ones so it's more reliable with a wider range of ammunition. It's not a bad system but I'd prefer one that is externally adjustable. As far as canted screws on the rear trunnion bracket, there's no way around it- they basically fudged the design. They should have had inserts that go through the trunnion bracket and then through the receiver itself while running the machine screws through into the insert. That way the insert binds the bracket to the receiver and the torx screw only serve to keep the insert from backing out.
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 04-23-18 at 19:56.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast