Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you keep your feet warm during winter hunting

Feedback Score
    Yup, wool socks and if you have room in your hunting boots, maybe drop some hot-hands in them while you are in a stand/blind.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I usually wear socks and boots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If you aren't moving much, nothing beats a pair of surplus bunny boots (sometimes called mickey mouse boots).. buy the Bata brand ones, they are the best. Good down to -40F and inexpensive.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I’m surprised no one has mentioned this yet, but your boots must not be too tight ... or your feet WILL get cold!

MODERN Boots: I have a few pairs of hunting boots, general use Herman Survivor type and then those Sorel type w/ the rubber bottoms. One rubber bottom pair is reserved for ccccccccold weather use. They are sized at least 1 foot size larger. I put good quality polypropylene wicking socks on 1st, then layers of wool, thin or thin & thick. But as someone stated, they are BIG & heavy! When stand hunting, I’d carry them over my back & would walk in wearing whatever boots were needed. Then would switch before getting on stand.

’PRIMITIVE’ Boots: For my late season (Dec-Jan) deer hunting in PA I have a pair of elk hide early French (1700s) design Solier de Bouefs that are fully lined in real sheep wool shearling ... not the fake ‘Ugg’ type of modern fuzzy but soft lining. I wear the poly socks and 1 pair of wool socks and last year while hunting for 4 days when the morning (~5am) temps were 6 to 8 degrees, my toes NEVER got cold!

Attachment 522708D9DC791-7912-43E3-9E16-D698678A3EBE.jpg

I would wear these more often, but they need crampons added in snow or icy weather, or if the leaves are slick. And yes ... my crampons were even hand forged to match the vintage of the boots ...ha!
    Given that 10-shots are a group and 5-shots may be a favorable trend ... know that just one good 3-shot group can make you an instant internet superstar!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    As mentioned by others,

- wool socks
    - non tight boots
    - wiggle toes
    - hot hands... insoles preferred

I will also add keeping your torso warm will warm extremities. Watched a guy on Discovery sitting in a freezer in gym shorts with a warming vest on function fine on various dexterity and logic tests, but hypothermia and utter failure kicked in quick when they turned it off. I tend to use Zippo warmers underneath a belay parka I carry in my pack when moving.

Wiggy's and a couple of other places make insulated booties for wearing over your boots that I am sure would work well, but I have had good luck draping a poncho liner around my feet and legs.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    To keep your core temp up, get the therma care belts for bad backs. The heaters (like hot hands) sit right over the kidneys. A good way to keep the back loose and the flowing blood warm.

I will also confirm what several others have said about proper boot fitting, too tight and there is no air circulation and your feet will be cold.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    The main reason my feet get cold is that they sweat. I didn't believe it when I was told this but it really works. Spray your feet with deodorant so they don't sweat and they will stay a lot warmer. Typically I'm wearing wool socks and a pair of Bogs Blaze 1000gr rubber boats. They keep my feet warm from about 40 to 0 degrees easily. I haven't been in temps below 0 with those boots yet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12