Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tomahawks anyone?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have a few tactical Hawks, 2 for CRKT and a Estwing....they work

Feedback Score
    I like the idea of a tomahawk, but how is it better than say a big Bowie?

I can carry my 11 1/2 Bowie IWB with no issues and it comes out easy and fast. I have carried it concealed all over the world . How do you carry a Hawk concealed under a T shirt?

I want to love it for the cool factor, but I don't see it as practical.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post

I can carry my 11 1/2 Bowie IWB with no issues and it comes out easy and fast. I have carried it concealed all over the world . How do you carry a Hawk concealed under a T shirt?

I LOVE my 2hawks Longhunter tomahawk, but as an all around bushcraft tool, it isn't better than a small hatchet or ax. The tomahawk is a niche piece of early American history that just is a bit obsolete now. It doesn't really have the width, heft, or the weight of better tools that can be purchased, even with a hammer head. The use I have gotten from mine, it just doesn't chop as well from the lack of mass versus the sharpness from most if not all sub $100 short handled axes in that role.

It's cool and it works well(enough), but there are just better options out there.

Dare I say...it is the M14 of the ax world *dons firesuit*.
    "Warriors"

Out of every 100 men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets. Nine are the real fighters and we are lucky to have them for they make the battle. Ah, but the one...one is a Warrior, and he will bring all the others back.

-Heraclitis

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

It's not.

Wow, 11 1/2 bowie concealed. That's a big knife. You must be a Bagwell aficionado.
    "One can lead a child to knowledge, but one cannot make him think."
    - Robert Heinlein

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

It's not.

Wow, 11 1/2 bowie concealed. That's a big knife. You must be a Bagwell aficionado.
    - Robert Heinlein

Feedback Score

I personally have no real use for a knife over 7-8 inches. Just my preference I suppose. Big knives are really only good for batoning in a field craft scenario, and a hatchet or hawk would work better. In a fight I'll skip the big bowie in favor of something lighter and quicker. Never been trained nor seriously contemplated fighting with a tomahawk, so I'm not gonna speculate.

For me a hawk seems like a handy feild tool first, a "field expedient" weapon as an outside consideration.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by utahjeepr View Post
    In a fight I'll skip the big bowie in favor of something lighter and quicker.
    A properly made fighting bowie is frighteningly quick. I'm talking about something made by the likes of Bill Bagwell with distal taper, not a uniformly thick camp knife of Cold Steel Trailmaster type.
    - Robert Heinlein

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Rico View Post
    A properly made fighting bowie is frighteningly quick. I'm talking about something made by the likes of Bill Bagwell with distal taper, not a uniformly thick camp knife of Cold Steel Trailmaster type.
    These were some hard hard men:

"Bowie was shot in the hip; after regaining his feet he drew a knife, described as a butcher knife, and charged his attacker, who hit Bowie over the head with his empty pistol, breaking the pistol and knocking Bowie to the ground. Wright shot at and missed the prone Bowie, who returned fire and possibly hit Wright. Wright drew his sword cane and impaled Bowie. When Wright attempted to retrieve his blade by placing his foot on Bowie's chest and tugging, Bowie pulled him down and disemboweled Wright with his large knife. Wright died instantly. Bowie, with Wright's sword still protruding from his chest, was shot again and stabbed by another member of the group. The doctors who had been present for the duel removed the bullets and patched Bowie's other wounds"
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have owned a Swamp Rat Rattlehawk and a Kill Devil Sniper Hawk.

While they made me feel like Mel Gibson's character in The Patriot, I am not Francis Marion in real life so I sold them and bought a $70 Estwing 26" Special Edition Camper's Axe. The $70 SECA is far more useful than the $350 tomahawks.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123