Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tomahawks anyone?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I love old-timey weapons and stuff in general, to include tomahawks. I have a nice one that a good friend made for me, the same was as you OP, from a ball pein hammer.

I have other friends who are crazy about them. I have seen suggested "be ready" vehicle loadout lists that included three tomahawks.

For me they are novelty/nostalgia only. I've played around with mine quite a bit and you can get to where throwing it, you almost "can't miss" at a certain distance. But for the zombie invasion / nuclear disaster / whatever scenario, if I found one in my otherwise filled-with-necessities vehicle, I would throw it out to make room for something else. As a weapon of course it would always be better than nothing but for the size and weight something else would be better. As a camp tool it is waayy inferior to an axe. If there is no axe and only a hatchet, in my opinion the hatched is a way more useful tool and it makes a better weapon.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    . As a weapon of course it would always be better than nothing but for the size and weight something else would be better. As a camp tool it is waayy inferior to an axe. If there is no axe and only a hatchet, in my opinion the hatched is a way more useful tool and it makes a better weapon.
    And while they have uses such as getting in to dry wood inside, axes and hatches offer up a lot of possibilities on injuries to intensify or create a survival situation versus just picking up hand breakable stuff.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    I love old-timey weapons and stuff in general, to include tomahawks. I have a nice one that a good friend made for me, the same was as you OP, from a ball pein hammer.

I have other friends who are crazy about them. I have seen suggested "be ready" vehicle loadout lists that included three tomahawks.

For me they are novelty/nostalgia only. I've played around with mine quite a bit and you can get to where throwing it, you almost "can't miss" at a certain distance. But for the zombie invasion / nuclear disaster / whatever scenario, if I found one in my otherwise filled-with-necessities vehicle, I would throw it out to make room for something else. As a weapon of course it would always be better than nothing but for the size and weight something else would be better. As a camp tool it is waayy inferior to an axe. If there is no axe and only a hatchet, in my opinion the hatched is a way more useful tool and it makes a better weapon.
    This.

I have a SOG and a Longhunter from 2Hawks. I LOVE the Longhunter(especially over the SOG but it was a gift), but as an axe or field/bushcraft tool, it just isn't as effiecient as a hatchet or small axe of similar quality.
    "Warriors"

Out of every 100 men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets. Nine are the real fighters and we are lucky to have them for they make the battle. Ah, but the one...one is a Warrior, and he will bring all the others back.

-Heraclitis

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ap1220 View Post
    This.

I have a SOG and a Longhunter from 2Hawks. I LOVE the Longhunter(especially over the SOG but it was a gift), but as an axe or field/bushcraft tool, it just isn't as effiecient as a hatchet or small axe of similar quality.
    I carry one of these on a belt loop:

https://www.crkt.com/woods-chogan-t-hawk.html

I love it, it's sharp, and takes a beating.
    "It is only the warrior who chooses pacifism. All others are condemned to it."

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."
    Dangerous Freedom over Peaceful Slavery.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by badguybuster View Post
    I love tomahawks. Been forging a few here and there out of ball pein hammers and forge welding a piece of H13 into the blade (not for sale). Anyone else enjoy them?
    I just took my first black smithing class last month. The instructor studied at Granfors Bruks and has a 3 day class on Axe making that I'm pretty sure I'll end up taking. Very nice work, jealous of your skill!
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    I really want to forge one for myself. When my shoulder heals up I may start working on some ball peen-to-hawk projects. Ideally I would like a "damascus" hawk, that will mean making a pretty big billet to start with.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Entryteam View Post
    I carry one of these on a belt loop:

https://www.crkt.com/woods-chogan-t-hawk.html

I love it, it's sharp, and takes a beating.
    I like that. It's straight forward no BS hawk/hatchet that does not look like something from a bad movie or crazy $. I'd consider getting that one.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    I like that. It's straight forward no BS hawk/hatchet that does not look like something from a bad movie or crazy $. I'd consider getting that one.
    I have it. Kind of heavy, not super sharp from the box, but has potential. And the handle was super loose on mine.

Feedback Score
    I have a cold steel rifleman hawk, it’s pretty handy for clearing small areas of large saplings/small trees with it’s longer handle and heavier head. Functions as a hammer if you need one to with the hammer head on the back side.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Caduceus View Post
    I have it. Kind of heavy, not super sharp from the box, but has potential. And the handle was super loose on mine.
    I got it. Surprisingly dull out of the box, but the rest seems GTG for the $.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast