Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: handgun to use for elk hunting?

Feedback Score

handgun to use for elk hunting?

I have hunted with a 357. Magnum, what do you use or suggest for deer or elk? I have heard of so many different caliber's, what say you?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    454 casull should work wonders on elk. Id not be afraid to use 44 mag with a good full house load. I have no doubt that 357 mag would do it using a double tap or buffalo bore heavy load but it wouldnt be my first or second choice. I want a quick clean kill

That being said.....i killed a 1800# short horn bull who went nuts with a ranch dog 190 grain hard cast pushed by H110 (max load) in 357 mag, using a S&W 627-5 at 20 yards (ish) head on. Round passed clean through the front of his skull and was lodged again his first rib on the left side. DRT
    Be of good cheer, you men of Valor.

Feedback Score
    My friend has a 460. Cant comment on 357, but if i was buying a pistol for elk, id probably end up with 460. Solid ballistics and not a bad shooter with an 8” (i think) ported barrel.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    My preference for deer- Mulie/Whitetail is a 4” S&W N frame in cal. .4X.
    I run FO FS.
    Heavy for cal. cast lead, either Keith type SWC or WFNGC.
    Range is realistic; 50 yds. and in, shot placement is key (duh).

Old school, yes- but easy to carry all day.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sagecarbina View Post
    Thanks for the response, just checked out the 454 casull...seems really solid.
    Where can I get it ?
    Fwiw, 454 can be shot out of a 460sw.
    Are you looking for 454 guns or ammo?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Todd Orr is a elk assassin with a .44 mag.
    When you're done saying what you're saying, stop saying it.

Feedback Score
    I had a S&W 460. On paper the ballistics are amazing for a handgun. But the muzzle blast and recoil were rediculous. It had a 7" or 8" barrel and when I fired it rested in a bench, the muzzle blast would shred the sand bags. It shots flat like a rifle, so when it was introduced, their selling point was being able to shoot deer at 200 yards with a handgun. It works on paper but hitting a deer with a handgun at 200 yards, in the field, is very much impossible, for me anyways. The 460 would be amazing in a lever action rifle. Seems like a 44mag would be a better handgun for elk. That's just my opinion though.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I'm shooting a Ruger Super Blackhawk 454 Casull and love it. I'm able to shoot both 45LC and 454 out of it. I have the same gun in 45LC but with a 5.5" barrel instead of the 6" one for the 454. With Buffalo Bore ammo you can come close to duplicating the power levels of a 454. The main reason I got the 454 is my Son love my 45LC so I figured why not have the best of both worlds. Last December my son shot a 350lb black bear with the 45LC and Buffalo Bore 325gr +P ammo and the bullet hit him behind the right rib's and exited out of the front left shoulder. Bear was dead before he hit the ground. So I would think that either of those rounds would be fine for Elk

Feedback Score
    Don't forget the 41 mag. Ammo is more expensive, but if someone is looking for a round that bridges the gap between .357 and .44 mag, it maybe perfect.

Feedback Score
    I have taken two bull elk, two black bear, one mule deer buck and a mountain lion with my 41 mags. I would say that is a good proven starting point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast