Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What ammo do you prefer for 9 mm?

Feedback Score

What ammo do you prefer for 9 mm?

Just curious.

I have been using 115 Grain, Blazer Brass for the past couple of months.

Just wondering about making a switch to 147 Grain 9mm ammo. I like to buy 1000-2000 at a time. All I’m seeing online is Fiocchi, Sellier and Bellot, Remington, and American Eagle. I haven’t looked into Atlanta Arms yet, but there are a few different grades.

Any experience? Any recommendations?

Is there a difference between ammo for IDPA vs IPSC or USPSA?

I’m using a Glock 19 or 34, by the way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the links.

No issues with bad primers on S&B? I had issues with 357 Magnum where 5 out of 50 in each box out of a case were bad. That made me nervous.

The prices are awesome. Thanks for the links.

I see you like 124 grain. Have you ever used 147 grain? How does it compare in your opinion across the grain ranges of 115-147?

Feedback Score
    For accuracy and practice I use GECO 124gr, really a noticeable difference at distance.

For self-defense I use only Federal 124gr HST.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CDR_Glock View Post
    Thanks for the links.

No issues with bad primers on S&B? I had issues with 357 Magnum where 5 out of 50 in each box out of a case were bad. That made me nervous.

The prices are awesome. Thanks for the links.

I see you like 124 grain. Have you ever used 147 grain? How does it compare in your opinion across the grain ranges of 115-147?

I tend to buy 124 mostly because it generally costs the same as 115 grain and I prefer heavier bullets, all things being equal. Carry rounds are mainly 147’s, although I’m really looking at the 124 XTP in +P by Underwood. When we go hiking, as we’ve run uncomfortably close to a sounder of hogs, my wife carries a G19 loaded with these:

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=388

Maybe I’ve been lucky, but I’ve really never had a bad box of any brand of new, centerfire ammo, and I’ve shot several cases of S&B without a bad round. I’ve had the very rare round in several brands that simply would not go ‘bang’, but nothing more than one in a case. Chalked them up to “stuff happens” and move on. Had serious issues with reman in .40 from Freedom Munitions on a enough occasions I’m done with that brand.

My absolute favorite range ammo in 9MM is 147 grain Lawman for several reasons:

https://www.sgammo.com/product/speer...nic-ammo-53620

It’s not always in stock, and I tend to hoard it and shoot up my other stuff first, because it costs a bit more, and I’m frugal. I find it’s quite accurate and much more versatile, as a heavy JFP is a deep penetrating round, but for my range and IDPA shooting, I really don’t need better at this point. Good woods/SHTF ammo for a 9MM round.

I’ve still got several cases of misc. 115gr stuff bought during the ammo drought that I’m mostly shooting up. My newer stuff is piling up in the closet at this point...

I’m not an ammo snob, other than I really prefer to avoid steel case when possible, mainly because it’s so dirty. I basically buy a few cases of ammo every month, but these days, I only shoot a couple hundred rounds a month max, so it’s building up on me. That works, as I’m 5-8 years away from retirement, my plans are to have pretty much all the range ammo I’ll ever need for myself, wife, and grandkids bought before I quit working. I’m slowly getting there...

I guess the main reason I don’t get too hung up on ammo is I don’t really care about “MOA” in pistols as long as I can hit a 4” circle at 25-35 yards more than not, and I own and shoot a lot of different 9MM guns, from subcompacts to long frames, and all shoot differently. If I was hunting with a handgun, or had a handgun caliber carbine, and wanted the lowest MOA, I’d probably care more.

I’m just a simple guy...others probably have much better advice, and there are lots of ammo threads. Good luck,
    Last edited by BuzzinSATX; 04-27-18 at 05:49.

Feedback Score
    I use the cheapest stuff i can. The federal aluminum case will easily make a-zone hits out to 25 out if my guns with me shooting, and ive yet to encounter a smaller target than that at that distance in uspsa and idpa.

Im zeroed for 147 at 25 and the poi is close enough.
    If i came across more challenging targets, is switch to 147gr, and see what load shoots best.
    I also carry hst and the group size is about 30% better than the aluminum. 2.5” vs 3.5” at 25yd, if i do everything right.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    For practice I buy whatever is cheap. Try to stick with 124 because that's what I carry but 115 is usually easier to find. Typically avoid steel case if there is a good deal on brass but otherwise I'm not against using it. I have a variety of manufacturers stashed from when some we're offering good prices. Geco, S&B, SVS, Blazer, Fiocchi, S&B Euro contract over runs, Aguila, PPU, Magtech, German M.E.N, WWB, Brown Bear. I'm probably forgetting some. I can't remember ever having a bad round from commercial ammo except for once when a few Russian 9mm needed a second strike from a G19 but even those were few and far between.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    It seems like a good idea to have similar weight/ballistics for carry and practice ammo.

The very best carry loads tend to be the 147 grain, which close the performance gap between 9mm and larger calibers.

Specifically the federal 147gr HST is excellent.

The previously mentioned speer lawman 147 is a nice match for the HST.

Aside from that, 124gr is a good second choice and was the original design.
    Last edited by Clint; 04-27-18 at 09:24.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Whatever is cheapest! I’ve been shooting remanufactured 115 from freedommunitions with zero issues for a few years, often winning matches in the North Texas area, which has a high concentration of Master shooters.
    When you're done saying what you're saying, stop saying it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CPM View Post
    Whatever is cheapest! I’ve been shooting remanufactured 115 from freedommunitions with zero issues for a few years, often winning matches in the North Texas area, which has a high concentration of Master shooters.
    I’ve bought and shot thousands of rounds of Freedom Munitions, new and reman. Their 9MM was flawless. The .223 was decent but dirty. The .45 was terribly dirty and threw sparks everywhere...like holding a dang sparkler. But my biggest issue was their .40. I had two kabooms and last range visit I had a squib load. Thank God it lodged in rear of the barrel so another round would not chamber...as I was shooting plates fast and never felt the difference other than I thought I’d missed the target. That last issue was with 165 reman bought a few years ago.

I started shooting FM back in 2010, and was a big fan. Great folks. I’d stop in the Houston store and buy a few cases every time I passed through that town.

But I’m disappointed with the last few lots, and their prices can’t compete with SGAmmo.com so I’m pretty much done with them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast