Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What ammo do you prefer for 9 mm?

Feedback Score
    I use Speer Gold Dots for carry and Lawman for practice. Two reasons. It's good ammo and if ever there is a legal situation where I'm under scrutiny, it's the same stuff the Police use. Not so called "killer" ammo.

Feedback Score
    Underwood defenders or Speer gold dots.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I've been using a lot of the 115gr Federal RTP (RTP9115) ammo for 3-gun because my local gun shop usually has it in stock at a good price. I've gone through a couple cases with zero problems. I will use 147gr if there is a MGM spinner on the stage though. the 115gr just don't move it much and I'm not good enough to get multiple fast hits like the big guys. I use 124gr Speer Gold Dot in my carry gun.

Feedback Score
    I have to address my previous comment.
    The accuracy difference is enough to matter.
    American eagle red box, or geco is produces groups about half of the federal champion stuff.
    It will only matter on far partials or headshots, but the price is about the same so I no longer recommend the champion.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    My 9mm carry ammo is 124 JHP; G. D. or HST.

My range/practice and match ammo is handload with 124 gr Zero JHP and VV n320.
    The combo of n320 which burns clean, and the encapsulated bullet base/no exposed lead- of the JHP, keep the Red Dot screen substantially cleaner than other combos I’ve used.
    When shooting a couple hundred rds. practice session or match, this has become a consideration.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Agreed, American eagle red box

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I recently did an interwebz search for accurate 9mm ammo. I forget where but Browning 147gr was mentioned as particularly accurate. I have always favored 124/125 grain bullets for my 9mm needs. I can get good velocity with a heavier bullet for knocking down steel.
    Last year in my search for a load that would make an impact on a pistol spinner I did my own non-scientific test of ammo and bullets on two 8" steel plates hung back to back for extra weight. I would shoot one shot then watch to see how much swing the bullets imparted. 115 factory was the least able to get some swing going, barely moving both plates. I didn't have any 147 unfortunately. My 124 IDPA match load was a little better. Factory 124's slightly better. What ultimately led to me choosing to use my comparatively low capacity Colt .38 super was the impression it made on the steel plates. This test was purely for my own needs for a specific match.
    Your own needs should dictate your choices. For paper punching any accurate bullet should do, for shoving steel around one may need more power. I never got to use my super on the pistol spinner, I timed out just as I drew my pistol but I am convinced that with good hits I could get it over with one magazine.

Thanks for tip on American Eagle red box. I'm going to try some.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123