Thread: Rifle CANT, Standard bubble level VS LED Electronic indicator

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Rifle CANT, Standard bubble level VS LED Electronic indicator

I'm a canter, I let the rifle drift off center instead of holding it straight up and down. This causes accuracy problems of POI shift to the side you are canting to and to a lessor extent, lower. The further the target, the more pronounced the error.

I discovered this a few years ago at a different match, one of the coaches told me that I cant. "Can't what?" I said back, and he said "No, not words, you are letting your rifle drift off perpendicular to the left which is why your are missing left." Bottom line is he pointed out a flaw I was doing and told me to get a level of some sort that I could reference when holding the rifle. It was news to me as I thought I was holding level pretty good. Every guy thinks they are a born natural at 3 things, when reality is that they could probably use instruction for all of them: driving, shooting and screwing.

So I went out and got a level, low and behold he was right! What I thought was a nice level hold was off a good 3/4 to 1 bubble off center. My scores went up consistently across any match I shot holding the rifle and in prone as well. I put a bubble level on every rifle I used frequently.

Then I hit my 40's and my close in vision went to crap
    It has gotten so bad I use different prescription strengths for reading and computer distances. One reason I like rifle over pistol is I can make up for this with the scope optics, dont need to wear prescription lenses when shooting, just regular safety glasses as I still see fine at distance. While I could still see the bubble, it was no longer a clear image while I was in the scope eye-box.

Saw a ad a few years ago for a round electronic LED level indicator that mounted to the back of the scope occular. It was bulky, and pretty much limited to the one scope you mounted it on as it was the same circumference as the ocular. Too much $ for an accessory I could only use on one rifle.

Ran across another ad for a picatinny rail mount LED level around Christmas last year. Since it was rail mounted, I could move it between rifles easily and it wasn't limited to just one scope. Told the wife and lo and behold lucked out and got one for Christmas!

This thing was a game changer for ME!!!!!! Keep in mind that I know I'm a canter and try to correct for it. The LRA is set up in my periphical vision of my shooting eye so that I can see the LEDS color without focusing on them, keeping my focus in the scope. Before with the mechanical liquid levels I'd check cant, adjust, then get in the scope and not make any further cant corrections. Now with the LEDs going I find that I start to cant a little, but am able to correct without losing sight picture.

IT's also a HUGE time saver when shooting strings of fire in time limited matches as I eliminate the need to look at a bubble level when switching targets. It has also helped my silhouette scores as I found out I cant a lot even after correcting before getting in the eye box I would start to drift.

It's a bit pricey ($189-229), but now I am using it on every rifle I take out of the safe as I swap it from one rifle's pic rail to the new rifle's pic rail. I consider it the second best equipment upgrade I have discovered in my lifetime. I consider it so essential I am going to get a second one as back up. I am not affiliated with LRA in any aspect other than being a customer.

https://www.longrangearms.com/

SWFA 3-15 with CANT indicator in vertical mount

Another SWFA 3-15 with CANT indicator in horizontal mount (upper scope ring half pic rail)

Athlon Cronos vertical mount

Feedback Score
    Ha! I 'invented' this in my head after taking a class last month and realizing how much I cant- and how my old eyes have issues seeing the bubble levels up close. I was thinking about some kind of scope ring for 50 or 55mm bells that would glow when off level.

This is good, but only if the rail and scope and the world are all in the same plane. I still level all three, but I realize you really only need the world and the scope level.

Seems like a mercury switch or two and and LED would be less than that.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    Ha! I 'invented' this in my head after taking a class last month and realizing how much I cant- and how my old eyes have issues seeing the bubble levels up close. I was thinking about some kind of scope ring for 50 or 55mm bells that would glow when off level.

This is good, but only if the rail and scope and the world are all in the same plane. I still level all three, but I realize you really only need the world and the scope level.

Seems like a mercury switch or two and and LED would be less than that.
    These are probably MEMS devices for shock and vibe performance and may explain some cost (low volume item).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Andrew - Lancaster, CA
    NRA Life Member, SAF / CRPA / FPC member and supporter, USCCA Member

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lordmorgul View Post
    These are probably MEMS devices for shock and vibe performance and may explain some cost (low volume item).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Andrew - Lancaster, CA
    NRA Life Member, SAF / CRPA / FPC member and supporter, USCCA Member
    Good point.

I guess you could get a ring set up with a rail on it and mount it on there? That way you can level the reticle to the world and go ahead and cant the rifle.

ETA:

We have built in a user calibration mode that allows you to set the level true to your cross hairs. This mode can be set when you swap between rifles, and from multiple mounted positions!
    And they have it for mounting on the scope, but if you can calibrate it for a few degrees here or there, that would be great.

Thanks for the heads up!
    Last edited by FromMyColdDeadHand; 04-28-18 at 21:50.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    How does the new 'level' function- as in how do you set the new level if it isn't the same as the rail zero? It looks like you have yours set vertically?

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'm using it in the factory default mode for level as they level it on a 12 surface (think outside and inside of a cube) one piece CNC'd fixture. It automatically picks up the closest axis it is installed to. I am assuming it changes at the 45 degrees of inclination to the next axis. I literally swap it over from horizontal on one rifle to vertical on another in less than 30 seconds (one 10-32 knob) and it is ready to go instantly, there is no re-calibration required.

The big deal for me is seeing color in my peripheral vision without having to focus on a mounted bubble level, time saver.

The second advantage over a typical bubble or gravity level is it accurate at high levels of inclination (pointing up or down, example: mountain hunting shots) where the bubble/gravity levels dont work so well. Saw that a lot when I used to shoot archery.

Feedback Score
    How is the battery life. I agree, being able to see it in my peripheral vision is pretty sweet.

It's that simple.