Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pistol Reloaders: How many use a 3 die set, how many a 4?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Pistol Reloaders: How many use a 3 die set, how many a 4?

I'm just curious: I've always used a 4 die set for handgun cartridges

(single stage press)

1. Size and decap
    2. Flare and prime
    3. Seat the bullet
    4. Crimp

A 3 die set combines (3) and (4). I never trusted this because I thought it'd be more consistent to do it in two separate operations, and it doesn't take that much more time.

Plus, with four dies, you leave the seater and crimper set up, so you don't have to re-set the seater plug every time if you use a 3 die set to do (3) and (4) separately.

What do y'all think?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I use the dillon set on my 650. Seating and crimping, in my experience, is vastly superior, especially with coated lead bullets. I completely eliminated scraping through coatings and plating by seating and crimping separate. On a progressive machine there is really no reason not to. If you are using a single stage or turret you do add time, but if you are bulk loading pistol rounds single stage, then speed is probably not your goal anyway.

Feedback Score
    Will I be using brass that has only been fired in my gun?
    Will I be using brass from a variety of sources that has been fired in a number of different guns?
    Will I be loading the same cartridges for use in more than one gun?
    Am I willing to lube my cases to save a little money on the dies or would I rather not have to lube cases?

Lee Precision offers a full line of Pistol Reloading Dies to satisfy most reloading needs.

To avoid lubing your cases choose a set that includes a Carbide Sizing Die. Carbide dies are simply the best way to resize straight walled handgun cartridges since no case lubing is required.

Lee Precision`s Standard Three Die Set works fine when using brass that has only been fired in your gun. However, more attention is required when adjusting the bullet seat and crimp die since bullet seating and crimping occur in a single operation.

Select Lee Precision`s 4 Die-Deluxe Pistol Die Set (shown above right) when using mixed range brass, brass that was fired in other guns or loading cartridges for use in a number of different guns. The Deluxe Set includes a Carbide Factory Crimp Die which separates the bullet seating operation from the crimping operation. It makes setup much easier and the die has the added feature of a carbide resizer that does a finishing sizing pass on the completed round. This final sizing guarantees that any case that passes through the die will freely and reliably chamber in any gun.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yes,

4 dies is the way to go. I use carbide Dillon and RCBS 3 die sets. The common ground is all of them are completed with Lee crimp die. Best one I have used...

Karl

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazykarl View Post
    Yes,

4 dies is the way to go. I use carbide Dillon and RCBS 3 die sets. The common ground is all of them are completed with Lee crimp die. Best one I have used...

Karl
    What makes the Lee better than just getting another crimper die from RCBS?

Feedback Score
    All my pistol dies are the Lee 4 die sets. I could spend twice the money or more and the ammo turned out would be the same. The Lee FCD is used and set to light taper crimp(just enough to remove any flare/bell). The regular taper crimp only die requires all brass to be trimmed the same length to get the same taper crimp on each round. I don't know if other brands are like that but since so many use the FCD with other brands of die sets I assumed that was the case. I have no experience with other dies and the Lees work great in my 650.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    What makes the Lee better than just getting another crimper die from RCBS?
    I like the Lee crimp die for three reasons:
    1. Affordable. 10 to 20$ less than Redding
    2. You can visualize the Lee crimp jaws work their magic. Makes set up easier.
    3. The lee jaws are strong enough to make their own cannelure if you want to crimp on a different part of bullet that has cannelure location that doesn't agree with your OAL.
    Last edited by Krazykarl; 04-28-18 at 06:42.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I use the three die Lee set. Once I got it dialed in and marked the dies its been very consistent in both crimp and seating. When I upgrade to a progressive some day I’ll get the 4 die set, but for now there is no reason at all.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I seat and crimp in separate operations.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    I seat and crimp in separate operations.

I just loaded 100 pistol rounds. Took me less than 10 minutes extra time to do it this way. I've always done it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast