Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Adjustable Gas Block Recommendations

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Adjustable Gas Block Recommendations

I’m building an SPR-ish rifle. The barrel is a 18” WOA SPR barrel with rifle gas and 1-7 twist. I plan on running it suppressed exclusively. I’ve been looking st adjustable gas blocks, especially JP Rifle’s offering. I’ve also been looking at SLR Rifleworks and Superlative Arms. The handguard I’ll be using has a 1.3” inside diameter. If anyone has any recommendations for an adjustable gas block, I’d appreciate it. I’m a strong proponent of the ‘buy once, cry once’ doctrine so if it’s a little on the pricy side that’s ok. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Achilles11B; 04-05-18 at 23:05.

Feedback Score
    Dont bother with an adjustable GB. Get a BRT MicroTune GB if barrel is improperly ported. Better yet, ask WOA to drill a smaller port or find a vendor that will.

Feedback Score
    215 (100%)
    After doing my own research on the subject a while ago i decided on the SLR. I haven't had any issues with it thus far. It sits under an NSR handguard and adjustments are easy with the longer ball driver I bought with it.

Feedback Score
    i went with odin works

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    Ned,

I have been thinking about one of these for an ~8” .300BLK upper I am planning because I really like the “just flip the switch” idea. That said, I wasn’t sure it was worth the cost and I have never known anyone who had personal experience with one. Could you please elaborate on your recommendation?

Thanks,
    Craig
    Last edited by cdmiller; 04-05-18 at 21:29. Reason: Typo

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    A dedicated suppressed setup only needs a smaller port to run properly.

No need to adjust on the fly.

The MicroTUNE gas block does this nicely.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Clints micro tune ports work, as do adjustable gas blocks. Odin and SLR are the tops in that category.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    I would go with the MIcro Tune, but if you go adjustable Right To Bear has good prices on the SLR ones

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I wrote up the Innovative Arms upper in the April 2014 SWAT. It used to be available for download but I could not find it just now. Anyway-- externally, the only clue that it's there is the switch. They have it in a few different versions, like it you have a 16" mid-length system,the WAR is "jetted" a little differently than for a 14.5" carbine system-- as I understand it.

I would agree that for a dedicated system, just having the right porting up front would be best, and Micro Tune, which I have not yet had occasion to use, ought to be the way to get there. But for the flexibility of running both ways, the WAR is super simple and intuitive. No need to wonder what setting you're on or if it has self-adjusted-- if the lever is horizontal you're on "open". If it's vertical you're on "restricted"..... just like any gas valve.

The body of the device is built into the upper, and part of it extends rearward, acting as the rearmost part of the gas tube. So, downside, the system takes a special, short gas tube that just plugs into the front of the upper (which comes with it). Upsides to this, this way there is no wear on the GT since the carrier key is not wearing on it. And if you did need to replace it, I think it is as simple as getting a "regular" gas tube and cutting it to length. Of course then the part of the WAR that the carrier key moves over becomes a wear part, IF there is any misalignment, but in the several I have worked with there simply is none. Anyway I suspect that part of the WAR is probably harder than a regular gas tube and so more wear resistant.

I think the closer to the gas port you can dial it down the better. There are some good adjustable gas blocks out there but when they're under the hand guard things get complicated sometimes. The WAR keeps it simple and tool-less.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast