Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: GP100 Match Champion 10mm

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Got to the range today 5/15. Sorry for lack of pics or video, but I don't have a smart phone and am a caveman in regards to tech. Shot 44 rounds of Sig Sauer 180gr FMJ. This ammo is loaded to full power and is listed at 1250 FPS. The GP100 is just your basic Match Champion in 10mm. The recoil was surprisingly light, considering it comes with the nice Hogue wood grips. I had a GP100 in .357 with a six inch barrel that I felt recoiled more when I was shooting 180gr loads out of it. I purchased some Hogue rubber grips to put on it, and am debating wether or not to install them. The single action trigger pull was light and crisp. The Double Action was typical Ruger. I was surprised, considering this pistol is referred to as a Match Champion. Can't beat S&W and Colt Revolvers in the double action department. I feel the trigger pull will break in and get better over time. The moon clips work well and reloads drop right in. The clips are easy to load and unload. If one wants, the clips can easily be cut in half with a Dremel cutting disk, to make half moon clips for easier carrying. Ruger charges $15 for a bag of 3 clips. You can shoot the revolver with out the clips. The spent brass is easily removed by hand. I didn't do any accuracy testing and didn't have any other loadings to shoot. Will be interesting to see what kind of loads one can come up with for these guns. For a REAL REVIEW, refer to post#12.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cagemonkey View Post
    Got to the range today 5/15. Sorry for lack of pics or video, but I don't have a smart phone and am a caveman in regards to tech. Shot 44 rounds of Sig Sauer 180gr FMJ. This ammo is loaded to full power and is listed at 1250 FPS. The GP100 is just your basic Match Champion in 10mm. The recoil was surprisingly light, considering it comes with the nice Hogue wood grips. I had a GP100 in .357 with a six inch barrel that I felt recoiled more when I was shooting 180gr loads out of it. I purchased some Hogue rubber grips to put on it, and am debating wether or not to install them. The single action trigger pull was light and crisp. The Double Action was typical Ruger. I was surprised, considering this pistol is referred to as a Match Champion. Can't beat S&W and Colt Revolvers in the double action department. I feel the trigger pull will break in and get better over time. The moon clips work well and reloads drop right in. The clips are easy to load and unload. If one wants, the clips can easily be cut in half with a Dremel cutting disk, to make half moon clips for easier carrying. Ruger charges $15 for a bag of 3 clips. You can shoot the revolver with out the clips. The spent brass is easily removed by hand. I didn't do any accuracy testing and didn't have any other loadings to shoot. Will be interesting to see what kind of loads one can come up with for these guns. For a REAL REVIEW, refer to post#12.
    Nice review but the point of full moon clips is speedy reloading. I won't be cutting them in half for twice as slow reloads.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    Nice review but the point of full moon clips is speedy reloading. I won't be cutting them in half for twice as slow reloads.
    Pat
    Thanks. I won't either.

Feedback Score
    Cagemonkey, have you noticed any bullet pull on the last rounds fired in the cylinder? I'm curious because I never found any solution in my 625 with factory ammo. The only way to stop it in that gun is with handloads crimped into a crimp groove or over a shouldered bullet and that nixes using that ammo in an auto which is a huge buzzkill. I'm curious as to whether full house 10mm ammo does the same and I'd bet it does.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowrider View Post
    Cagemonkey, have you noticed any bullet pull on the last rounds fired in the cylinder? I'm curious because I never found any solution in my 625 with factory ammo. The only way to stop it in that gun is with handloads crimped into a crimp groove or over a shouldered bullet and that nixes using that ammo in an auto which is a huge buzzkill. I'm curious as to whether full house 10mm ammo does the same and I'd bet it does.
    Wasn't aware of such a problem. I will be looking for this the next time I go to the range. Thanks

Feedback Score
    Cagemonkey,
    Nice write up on a new gun.

FWIW I found that the bullet in Speer’s 200gr Gold Dot 10mm load is HEAVILY asphalted in the case. To the point that using an impact bullet puller destroyed the case and primer pellet. There isn’t going to be any issue with bullet creep using that cartridge.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Went to the range today. Shot both Sellier and Bellot 180 gr and Sig Sauer 180 gr FMJ. I saw no signs of bullet setback of later rounds in the cylinder.

Feedback Score
    One of the reasons I got rid of my S&W 325 Nightguard was the bullet of the sixth round would creep out to the point that you could pull it free of the case with minimal effort. Cheap 230gr ball was the worse but some carry grade hp ammo would do it too. I wonder if 200 or 220gr 10mm loads would show any growth...

I want a 10mm revolver, guess I’ll find out eventually.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123