Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AR9 & AR556 both in Pistol version, pros/cons, why & why not?

Feedback Score

AR9 & AR556 both in Pistol version, pros/cons, why & why not?

Before everyone jumps to it, yes I already made many SBR’s to include Kris’s, PS90 & AR variants....
    But having to notify BATFE while traveling isn’t something I want to add to my Travel plan anymore.... with that being said I’m thinking an AR556 & an AR9(for my wife who simply doesn’t have the mass to be comfortable behind a rifle caliber AR pistol)

I also know here’s many other ways to go about it but I just like the idea....

Please share your thoughts & ideas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    In a AR pistol, the 9mm recoil is not less in the traditional blowback uppers. I would argue it may be more felt recoil actually. My absolutely unscientific poll with my wife and my experience is the spring-induced twang is much lower in blowback gun. My wife detests the twang in 5.56.

9mm blast and noise is much better than any rifle caliber in pistol length barrels, obviously.
    While you can engineer out weight in a custom build, rifle and pistol builds do have similar base weight.

YMMV.

Feedback Score
    So not much difference is recoil even with heavy buffers? But less noise/blast would make it more manageable? She shoots an EMP 9mm so I figured a 9mm AR would be better choice for her VS my 7.5” 5.56, although I didn’t think mine was all that bad at all but I’m 5’9” 200lb she is about 4’9” 100lb

Feedback Score
    5.56 is so low recoil. I don't see how a person's mass would factor into a rifle in this caliber.

Scorpion pistols with braces are nice too.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokin338 View Post
    Be easier for her to manage an AR in 5.56 then a 9mm... the felt recoil due to it being blowback is greater. I would look at a 11.5" barrel in 5.56 (quieter then the 7.5" and with a H2 or maybe a H3 could tune out a lot more of the felt recoil...
    Agreed. Anything under 10.3" should be avoided for 5.56. I would also recommend a linear compensator , to direct blast downrange...at least use a flash hider otherwise. If he's using a muzzle brake, then no wonder why she hates the AR.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Be easier for her to manage an AR in 5.56 then a 9mm... the felt recoil due to it being blowback is greater. I would look at a 11.5" barrel in 5.56 (quieter then the 7.5" and with a H2 or maybe a H3 could tune out a lot more of the felt recoil...

Feedback Score
    I think the problem isn’t so much the caliber but how much of a blast it produces making the overall feel of it, we haven’t tested out a 9mm AR yet but I was hoping it’s going to be much less is that sense, let’s face it unless we are talking 3030 or even a 308 the recoil probably isn’t much difference between the 9 & 5.56.... also was hoping with a heavy buffer the 9 can be smoother?

Also the 10.5 wasn’t an option for the sake of making a compact weapon for a sling bag

Feedback Score
    I wasn't impressed with AR9 recoil. Wasn't as fun to shoot as I thought it would be.

Wife didn't get a chance to shoot it, but I know she'd have said the same thing.

The Beretta Cx4 9mm carbine I had was better. Wife just thought it "Ok" but still had more recoil than it should. We both hated the sights and stock, though. A red dot mounted low with the the sight towers still visible or high (thus too high) didn't work well either.

My wife's favorite 9mm carbine to shoot was a full-size Uzi with a wood stock. But she hated cocking knob (hehe) and it's weight. It wasn't as reliable as it should have been, either. (Vector Arms)

The Keltec Sub2000 is the least comfortable to shoot. But it does fold and use glock mags. (the .40 cal kick is pretty harsh)

The High Point carbine is a bit heavy, but works until something breaks. Not uncomfortable to shoot. (only shot a 9mm version) Mags are low-cap except for the newer, stupidly long single-stack ones.

The Kriss vector is a bit heavy and has odd controls. Reliability is still questionable. But uses glock mags. I've only fired the .45 version. Recoil was not uncomfortable.

Sig MPX: Sorry, never fired one.

If I had to choose a 9mm carbine / braced pistol for my wife today I'd decide between the new Ruger 9mm Takedown Carbine, an Mp-5, and the MPX.

Being the new Ruger 1/4 the price of the others and uses glock mags, I'd get the Ruger!
    Last edited by Ron3; 04-30-18 at 15:30.

Feedback Score
    11B- I would prefer shooting a 9mm any day of the week over a 5.56. The blast is just so much lower that the recoil differences do not matter. My guess is your wife, even petite, would enjoy less blast vs. a bit more recoil. The 9mm recoil impulse is also different, arguably a longer length with more slam on the back end when the bolt closes.

Ron3 - the blowback on a Kel-Tec Sub2000 is always unpleasant and I agree the least comfortable option. Not something I would inflict on a loved one, esp. my wife. I haven’t shot the new Ruger yet.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HardToHandle View Post
    11B- I would prefer shooting a 9mm any day of the week over a 5.56. The blast is just so much lower that the recoil differences do not matter. My guess is your wife, even petite, would enjoy less blast vs. a bit more recoil. The 9mm recoil impulse is also different, arguably a longer length with more slam on the back end when the bolt closes.

Ron3 - the blowback on a Kel-Tec Sub2000 is always unpleasant and I agree the least comfortable option. Not something I would inflict on a loved one, esp. my wife. I haven’t shot the new Ruger yet.
    I haven't fired a new Ruger PCC yet. But I read it's a little barrel-heavy and at least a pound heavier overall than the lighter weight Cx4, sub2000, and AR9. That should help cut recoil.

I expect many aftermarket parts for the Ruger carbine, too. Triggers, safety's, mag releases, Bolt handles, stocks, and more. I don't know about barrels. The more popular thing to do will probably be to cut a few inches off the factory barrel and thread/crown the new muzzle. I do wonder if the fluted barrel will interfere with making such a modification.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 11BGrunt View Post

Also the 10.5 wasn’t an option for the sake of making a compact weapon for a sling bag

The LAW folding stock adapter might be of interest to you.

https://www.lawtactical.com/ar_foldi..._m_p/99312.htm

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast